U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-04-2010, 02:28 PM
 
Location: Maryland
15,179 posts, read 15,813,362 times
Reputation: 3028

Advertisements

Quote:
A major effort to swing at least five key Republican senators behind immigration reform will be the key task of Senator Charles Schumer of New York, who is leading the effort in the senate to create new legislation.

Schumer is counting on Republican Senator Lindsay Graham of South Carolina, who has indicated that he will support a new bill that has strong enforcement measures and ensures that illegal immigration will be much harder after the bill passes.

"Schumer wants to show that legalizing the undocumented is actually good national security policy, as well as making it clear that it will become much harder for new illegals to work here if the new bill is passed" said a source.

Hispanic groups who have major clout with this White House are concerned that the proposed bill leans too far in the enforcement direction.
Senator Chuck Schumer to lead new effort at immigration reform | Irish News | IrishCentral

Why would ďHispanic" groups not want strong enforcement?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-04-2010, 03:19 PM
 
Location: California
706 posts, read 796,204 times
Reputation: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post

OK, I'm going to go out on a limb here......Because, in all likelyhood, those most impacted by enforcement would be...

A) Hispanic
B) Hispanic
C) Hispanic
D) Hispanic
E) All of the above.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-04-2010, 07:18 PM
 
3,951 posts, read 3,583,040 times
Reputation: 1270
I have to disagree with the concept of the immigration reform packages that are on the table. It seems to me, based on everything I've read and seen presented, that the legislators are very interested in throwing in something that gives a benefit to the illegal immigrants that are already here. It's all about them, giving them a "path" to citizenship. Immigration reform should be immigration reform, not awarding illegal immigrants "a path to citizenship." Why is that necessary? A lot of the people who receive amnesty could care less about the laws and would have just kept on living and working here whether an immigration reform came or not. So, when I read, " ... as well as making it clear that it will become much harder for new illegals to work here if the new bill is passed," I think of how just enforcing the laws itself would make it much harder for new illegals to work. We know that immigration reform isn't going to stop new illegal immigrants from coming in and the proposals I've seen really don't have anything that is guaranteed to make it "much harder for illegals to work here."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-04-2010, 09:48 PM
 
Location: Maryland
15,179 posts, read 15,813,362 times
Reputation: 3028
Quote:
Originally Posted by borderlord View Post
OK, I'm going to go out on a limb here......Because, in all likelyhood, those most impacted by enforcement would be...

A) Hispanic
B) Hispanic
C) Hispanic
D) Hispanic
E) All of the above.
Bob, Iíll take E, and thatís my final answer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-04-2010, 09:54 PM
 
Location: Maryland
15,179 posts, read 15,813,362 times
Reputation: 3028
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoEdible View Post
I have to disagree with the concept of the immigration reform packages that are on the table. It seems to me, based on everything I've read and seen presented, that the legislators are very interested in throwing in something that gives a benefit to the illegal immigrants that are already here. It's all about them, giving them a "path" to citizenship. Immigration reform should be immigration reform, not awarding illegal immigrants "a path to citizenship." Why is that necessary? A lot of the people who receive amnesty could care less about the laws and would have just kept on living and working here whether an immigration reform came or not. So, when I read, " ... as well as making it clear that it will become much harder for new illegals to work here if the new bill is passed," I think of how just enforcing the laws itself would make it much harder for new illegals to work. We know that immigration reform isn't going to stop new illegal immigrants from coming in and the proposals I've seen really don't have anything that is guaranteed to make it "much harder for illegals to work here."
This so-called immigration reform is nothing more than a free ride for illegal aliens. If they were truly interested in reforming our immigration laws, they would focus on the legal immigration process, rather than legalizing lawbreakers. We don’t need immigration reform. We need enforcement of our current laws.

Furthermore, if illegals only want to work, why do they need to be offered a path to citizenship? It’s a farce.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-04-2010, 10:20 PM
 
Location: The Republic of Texas
60,152 posts, read 30,614,837 times
Reputation: 12825
Quote:
Schumer is counting on Republican Senator Lindsay Graham of South Carolina, who has indicated that he will support a new bill that has strong enforcement measures and ensures that illegal immigration will be much harder after the bill passes.
There are strong laws that just need enforcement NOW!!!!!!!

The only thing I see that needs to be reformed is the lack of enforcement and the penalties for getting caught is laughable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-05-2010, 01:02 AM
 
3,951 posts, read 3,583,040 times
Reputation: 1270
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
This so-called immigration reform is nothing more than a free ride for illegal aliens. If they were truly interested in reforming our immigration laws, they would focus on the legal immigration process, rather than legalizing lawbreakers. We donít need immigration reform. We need enforcement of our current laws.

Furthermore, if illegals only want to work, why do they need to be offered a path to citizenship? Itís a farce.
Yea. So sad. What do the US citizens and legal residents get out of all of this? LOL Like, we are citizens and here legally and we don't even get a say in this. We don't even get our money back that was spent on educating their children or paying their emergency healthcare tab. How are they going to play around with an issue as big as this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-05-2010, 01:04 AM
 
3,951 posts, read 3,583,040 times
Reputation: 1270
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
There are strong laws that just need enforcement NOW!!!!!!!

The only thing I see that needs to be reformed is the lack of enforcement and the penalties for getting caught is laughable.
Exactly, but the overall idea of these proposals is always about amnesty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-05-2010, 10:59 AM
 
Location: On a Long Island in NY
7,624 posts, read 8,117,782 times
Reputation: 6949
Quote:
It's all about them, giving them a "path" to citizenship.
Because the Democrats want the Hispanic vote to insure that they have a permanent grip on power for decades to come.

My version of immigration reform goes like this. The number of immigrants allowed per year should not exceed 200,000 (currently the number is over 1,000,000+). We also create of a point system that would award points for things like having a college degree, English proficiency, having a clean crime record, etc. I also think it's time to go back to national quotas that favor Asian and Western European nations like China, India, Australia, NZ, UK, Ireland, etc over 3rd world nations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-05-2010, 02:08 PM
 
335 posts, read 281,033 times
Reputation: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoEdible View Post
I have to disagree with the concept of the immigration reform packages that are on the table. It seems to me, based on everything I've read and seen presented, that the legislators are very interested in throwing in something that gives a benefit to the illegal immigrants that are already here. It's all about them, giving them a "path" to citizenship. Immigration reform should be immigration reform, not awarding illegal immigrants "a path to citizenship." Why is that necessary? A lot of the people who receive amnesty could care less about the laws and would have just kept on living and working here whether an immigration reform came or not. So, when I read, " ... as well as making it clear that it will become much harder for new illegals to work here if the new bill is passed," I think of how just enforcing the laws itself would make it much harder for new illegals to work. We know that immigration reform isn't going to stop new illegal immigrants from coming in and the proposals I've seen really don't have anything that is guaranteed to make it "much harder for illegals to work here."
What I've always wondered is why so many people feel that immigration reform, whatever that entails, needs to be "comprehensive". There have been many times in our country's history in which laws and regulations have been changed or adjusted in some way to make a program or a system more streamlined and work better for those who access them. But when it comes to our immigration laws, the word "'comprehensive" keeps popping up over and over again instead of the words "adjust" or "streamline".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top