Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2010, 06:35 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,556,692 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opyelie View Post
I've always wondered why - given that the LAW says that part of the criteria for being eligible for citizenship is the ability to read, speak and understand english - voting documents are required to be in SO many languages other than english ?
Because while some people can understand English, they prefer to use other languages...and we're willing to accomodate them. I can't think of any other possible explanation...unless somebody's lying...(and I can't imagine that, either).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2010, 07:04 PM

3,948 posts, read 4,305,916 times
I don't even understand what the issue is either way.

Old 01-04-2010, 09:45 PM

335 posts, read 328,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arpayaso View Post
What your'e not getting is that the counties didn't take into consideration the indigenous who were here. The indigenous were exploited and robbed of their land by the British, French, and Spanish. This is just an effort to recognize them. They are indigenous to America, which isn't just the United States. They are immigrants to the Nations that were carved into indigenous land.
But the 2010 census isn't being conducted by America. It's being conducted by the United States. Any individual alive today who was born indigenous to the United States can't also be an immigrant in the United States.

Old 01-05-2010, 01:10 AM

3,948 posts, read 4,305,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbartlebee View Post
But the 2010 census isn't being conducted by America. It's being conducted by the United States. Any individual alive today who was born indigenous to the United States can't also be an immigrant in the United States.
I thought the same thing, that's why I was so confused and that's what made me say, "Why is this an issue," because it doesn't even seem appropriate. It was like people who are from places FAR away from the US and out of the US are claiming indeginous on the Census, but they aren't really indigenous to the US, but to other geographical locations. That's weird and makes no sense. How did the Census get the idea for this? Oh, I know, to make things even more complicate and to gather more terms, ethnic identities to use in their future politics.

Old 01-05-2010, 02:14 AM

1,909 posts, read 2,538,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zacatecana View Post
Not fair for whom? It has not been fair in the past for those that are indigenous immigrants and were legally here. Now that they are being counted and that some of them do not have a legal status because our government wants to include ALL communities in the American population...its not fair? That community has been there for a great number of years. The difference is that it has grown, just like any other community.
It's not fair to the American citizens. Illegals should NOT be here, they should NOT be counted. They SHOULD BE deported!
States with large illegal populations will gain more seats in the House, while states without large illegal groups will lose seats.
Then there is the money allotted to each city and state. This money is for US CITIZENS not illegals.
Let them continue to hide in the shadows and not be counted.
The 2010 Census will help communities receive more than $400 billion in federal funds each year for things like:

• Hospitals
  • Job training centers
  • Schools
  • Senior centers
  • Bridges, tunnels and other-public works projects
  • Emergency services
The data collected by the census also help determine the number of seats your state has in the U.S. House of Representatives.
What is the Census? - 2010 Census (http://2010.census.gov/2010census/how/index.php - broken link)

Old 01-07-2010, 01:39 AM

2,381 posts, read 5,045,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tulani View Post
It's not fair to the American citizens. Illegals should NOT be here, they should NOT be counted. They SHOULD BE deported!
States with large illegal populations will gain more seats in the House, while states without large illegal groups will lose seats.
Then there is the money allotted to each city and state. This money is for US CITIZENS not illegals.
Let them continue to hide in the shadows and not be counted.
I understand what you are saying. However, the census has always encouraged illegal immigrants to include themselves in the census. This is not about illegal immigrants per say. It is about those immigrants that are indigenous but do not fit the description of "Hispanic" due to their ethnicity...regardless of their legal status. There are many families that are indigenous and are perfectly legal. The government wants to count them. We need to have an accurate portrait of America.

Old 01-07-2010, 02:00 AM

41 posts, read 53,914 times
How come these guys get to put down their status and indigenous ID, etc. (sorry but I've been up over 24 and I'm lucky to be able to type). I'm part white-and-part Cherokee. What do I put down on the census. Sorry this is the first time I am filling one out.

My biggest interest as a native born american who is here legally and who isn't. If they're legal, I have few or no issues other than their learning English, but if they are illegals we need to deport them.

Old 01-07-2010, 09:08 AM

8,185 posts, read 12,639,025 times
This is just an end run for counting illegals of Mexican descent - nothing more.

Old 01-07-2010, 12:37 PM

1,909 posts, read 2,538,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zacatecana View Post
I understand what you are saying. However, the census has always encouraged illegal immigrants to include themselves in the census. This is not about illegal immigrants per say. It is about those immigrants that are indigenous but do not fit the description of "Hispanic" due to their ethnicity...regardless of their legal status. There are many families that are indigenous and are perfectly legal. The government wants to count them. We need to have an accurate portrait of America.
Ok... I can agree that we need an accurate portrait of America. How about we count all illegals, find all illegals and deport all illegals? Counting them is one thing, but the places where they live do not deserve any extras from our government.
Legal residents should be counted and their numbers used in determining the welfare of their states.

Old 03-18-2010, 07:28 PM

174 posts, read 540,992 times
Id like to see all the southern white and black folks with Native Amerindian blood within 6 or 7 generations as well as all the Mestizos from Mexico, Central and South America (the West Indies even) with significant Native Amerindian blood check that box this year. Spread the word.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration