U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-09-2010, 03:34 PM

1,678 posts, read 924,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danno3314 View Post
I moved to Phoenix in 1989 from New Jersey and I knew back the that Maryvale was not on my list of neighborhoods to consider renting or buying a house in. It had nothing to do with what race any one was that lived there, it was just that it was an older part of town that was not being maintained any more. Too bad you're family didn't consider moving elsewhere in Phoenix sooner. I ended up buying a 4 year old two story condo (townhouse) in No. Phoenix in the low 50's in 1991. I know what you mean about your family not moving sooner though. My grandfather came here (to NJ) from Italy in the early 1900's and when he passed away in 1981 at 99 years old, he still lived in the same house he built when he first moved here from Italy. The neighborhood is fine (still today) but, had it changed while he was alive and become run down, I could see him never moving away either. I understand your family's situation though, when you live some where for a long time like that, it's hard to decide when it's time to make a change.
We moved to the Maryvale area in 1973. It was a very mixed community. We lived in many different areas and we were never afraid in any neighborhood. Maryvale was actually a wonderful place to live when I was a teenager.
We stayed in our last home because my mom was elderly and wanted to live there until she died. She got her wish and then we moved out. I was the one who wanted out 5 years before we finally left, mom was stubborn and being "mom" she won.
Lou Dobbs has no influence in my decision to move during the late 90s and no decision when we finally left in 2004. What I saw around me is what made up my mind.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2010, 05:58 PM

14,307 posts, read 5,668,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arpayaso View Post
Mexican is a race? The people on here go to great lengths to make it clear that Mexicans are the majority of illegals in this country, as well as being the country adjacent to us, in order to justify the majority of the discussion being about Mexicans. You guys always throw the "race card" card down. Enough.

No, we don't follow the NCLR like you guys followed Dobbs. Dobbs was a tv personality, NCLR is a political action organization.

He had major influence, and still does because his rhetoric is ingrained into your camps platform. A lot of people just repeat what he has said, word for word. He talked about a real issue, but sensationalized it and drummed up fear and anger.

People who responded to the immigration debate with fear and anger have created the atmosphere of today. He convinced his target demographic that they were the real Americans, and everyone else is a traitor. He convinced you to blame Mexico, Hispanic-Americans for their support, and the illegals themselves, before questioning your own government's policies on immigration and corporations for their involvement.
Mexican of course is a nationality but you are implying that it is all about hatred against Mexicans and yes most Mexicans are of the Mestizo race. Therefore you are pulling the race card.

Most anti's didn't blindly follow Dobbs. We already knew what a negative illegals are to our country. It just bugged the ethnocentric Hispanics that he talked about it. Whenever a negative is forced on anyone how would you expect them to react? Anger is justified on this issue. Fear? What fear? I think anyone who doesn't put the national interest first IS a traitor. How else would you describe an American who puts their ethnic kind above the national interest?

I say there is a threefold blame here. Our government, the employers and the illegals also. The problem with your side is you only want to blame the first two but not the illegals themselves.

Most ethnocentric Hispanics do believe in what the NCLR pushes and that is amnesty for illegal aliens. They also demonize any American who is opposed to it. It is hypocritical to say it was wrong for those of us who oppose illegal immigration and watched Dobbs but yet it is ok for your side to listen to the NCLR and other Hispanic advocacy groups on this issue.

Old 01-09-2010, 06:03 PM

Quote:
How definitely matters. "Invasion" is one of the terms he sold you on. One of those terms that completely destroys any chance of the anti-illegal camp being seen as more than fringe activists.
No it doesn't matter. Invasion is what it is. I was opposed to illegal immigraton way before I ever started watching Dobbs. As I said, it just bugs the ethnocentric Hispanics that he brought this issue to the forefront.

Old 01-09-2010, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Invasion Definition | Definition of Invasion at Dictionary.com

Americans going into Iraq is an invasion.
The steady accumulation caused by a flawed immigration system is not.
You calling it an "invasion" is meant to be a war analogy, to call the illegals your enemy, to suggest heinous intentions, to suggest a concerted, organized attack on America.

In reality, it's a bunch of people wanting a better quality of life, more opportunities, and a flawed system.

You're basically looking at a bunch of people who want what you have, as a bunch of people wanting to take what you have.

God bless you for being born in the United States.
How nice to select what definition of "invasion" you will accept when another definition of invasion is an uninvited intrusion. It doesn't necesarilly mean an armed army in a time of war.

What does their reasons for coming here have to do with anything? It is still an univited intrusion. They can want all they want to want but that doesn't mean they are entitled to it. I want the Cadillac that my neighbor has but does that give me the right to steal it?

Old 01-09-2010, 06:50 PM

1,213 posts, read 895,403 times
In all fairness, Lou reported on the illegal Mexican invasion when the cowardly biased liberal main stream media refused to do so. The tribally ethnocentric hispanics could have skated through almost unnoticed with their invasion if not for Lou reporting on it, which is why they hate Lou. His broken borders segment just reported on what was happening and let the viewers wonder why the fed gov refused to do anything about it.

Old 01-09-2010, 09:46 PM

3,950 posts, read 1,858,159 times
Quote:
1. an act or instance of invading or entering as an enemy, esp. by an army. 2. the entrance or advent of anything troublesome or harmful, as disease. 3. entrance as if to take possession or overrun: the annual invasion of the resort by tourists. 4. infringement by intrusion.
Seems like illegal immigration qualifies.

Old 01-09-2010, 09:55 PM

15,181 posts, read 9,457,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoEdible View Post
Seems like illegal immigration qualifies.
Of course it does. Pro-illegals are grasping at straws, because they simply can’t defend the indefensible. They are fighting a losing battle, and they know it.

Old 01-10-2010, 02:51 AM

2,383 posts, read 2,995,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknight04 View Post

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MeniRslONVE

You can't accuse both men of being open borders and bleeding heart liberals can you?
Lou Dobbs is hilarious! I wonder what makes him think that by switching sides and saying that nothing has changed...he can fool us and gain our support?

Funny... bleeding heart! I think he is rethinking how much money he will be bleeding with the cost of deportation of illegal immigrants!

Old 01-10-2010, 02:57 AM

2,383 posts, read 2,995,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roguer View Post
In all fairness, Lou reported on the illegal Mexican invasion when the cowardly biased liberal main stream media refused to do so. The tribally ethnocentric hispanics could have skated through almost unnoticed with their invasion if not for Lou reporting on it, which is why they hate Lou. His broken borders segment just reported on what was happening and let the viewers wonder why the fed gov refused to do anything about it.

It never started with Lou Dobbs. It started with a news reporter by the name of Jorge Ramos who wanted to fix the border problem but at the same time legalize those that were already in the country.

Lou Dobbs interviewed Jorge Ramos and allowed him to introduce his books on immigration to America.

Lou Dobbs took it further by calling it "an invasion" of "illegal aliens", an "invasion" of "diseases", etc.

Interesting how none of these words are part of his ample toxic vocabulary, nowadays.

There is nothing wrong with a tribal mentality, btw. Tribes often have many good things we could learn from. For example, they have rules of conduct. One that comes to mind is treating foreigners like family. That is what Native Americans did when Europeans arrived. They were very coordial and friendly to the newcomers.

Old 01-10-2010, 03:37 AM

335 posts, read 162,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zacatecana View Post

There is nothing wrong with a tribal mentality, btw. Tribes often have many good things we could learn from. For example, they have rules of conduct. One that comes to mind is treating foreigners like family. That is what Native Americans did when Europeans arrived. They were very coordial and friendly to the newcomers.
But, as we all know, those Europeans weren't illegal alien lawbreakers. I am welcoming to foreigners who come to the United States as long as they come here legally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration