Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2010, 11:37 AM

313 posts, read 344,050 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
I really doesn’t matter how or when one became enlightened to this invasion.
How definitely matters. "Invasion" is one of the terms he sold you on. One of those terms that completely destroys any chance of the anti-illegal camp being seen as more than fringe activists.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2010, 11:41 AM

15,171 posts, read 18,555,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arpayaso View Post
How definitely matters. "Invasion" is one of the terms he sold you on. One of those terms that completely destroys any chance of the anti-illegal camp being seen as more than fringe activists.
What would you call the illegal presence of 20+ million foreigners, if NOT an invasion?

If we sent 20 million U.S. citizens to ANY country, I do believe that country could aptly consider themselves as being invaded by Americans.

Old 01-09-2010, 12:00 PM

313 posts, read 344,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
What would you call the illegal presence of 20+ million foreigners, if NOT an invasion?

If we sent 20 million U.S. citizens to ANY country, I do believe that country could aptly consider themselves as being invaded by Americans.
Invasion Definition | Definition of Invasion at Dictionary.com

Americans going into Iraq is an invasion.
The steady accumulation caused by a flawed immigration system is not.
You calling it an "invasion" is meant to be a war analogy, to call the illegals your enemy, to suggest heinous intentions, to suggest a concerted, organized attack on America.

In reality, it's a bunch of people wanting a better quality of life, more opportunities, and a flawed system.

You're basically looking at a bunch of people who want what you have, as a bunch of people wanting to take what you have.

God bless you for being born in the United States.

Old 01-09-2010, 12:20 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,555,982 times
Quote:
Invasion Definition | Definition of Invasion at Dictionary.com

Americans going into Iraq is an invasion.
The steady accumulation caused by a flawed immigration system is not.
You calling it an "invasion" is meant to be a war analogy, to call the illegals your enemy, to suggest heinous intentions, to suggest a concerted, organized attack on America.

In reality, it's a bunch of people wanting a better quality of life, more opportunities, and a flawed system.

You're basically looking at a bunch of people who want what you have, as a bunch of people wanting to take what you have.

God bless you for being born in the United States.
Any intrusion can be considered an invasion. Have you ever heard of a “home invasion?” We have millions of foreigners living in this country without our authorization, and in flagrant violation of our laws. I don’t care if they are working using a fake or stolen SSN, committing tax evasion by working under the table, or committing violent crimes. I want them to leave.

Yes, it is a blessing to have been born in this country. However, that blessing did not occur without sacrifices from many brave citizens. Perhaps illegals should muster the courage to fight for improvements in their countries. Maybe then, it will be a blessing to be born there as well. We are not obligated to give them what they refuse to fight for at home.

Old 01-09-2010, 12:37 PM

1,213 posts, read 1,631,478 times
Quote:
20 to 30 million uninvited illegal border jumpers breaking into the country isn't an invasion? Actually what it is is an illegal Mexican invasion, since the vast majority of illegals in this country are from Mexico. In fact, over 10 percent of the entire population of Mexico is in this country illegally. With only 20 percent of the population being liberals while 40 percent are conservatives just who would be the fringe activists? Oh that's right. There are also 20-30 million illegal alien activists too right?

Old 01-09-2010, 01:08 PM

1,909 posts, read 2,537,226 times
Quote:
Selective coverage.
You know, kind of like how a politician pandering to a certain demographic would only give certain information.
Everybody cites the 2006 marches as when they went from being regular people to devoted anti-illegals. And a lot of your first exposures to the immigration debate was through Dobbs.
I started watching Lou Dobbs in 2005, after I left AZ! I didn't need Lou to tell me about the Mexican invasion (and YES, I WILL call it a Mexican invasion, whether you like it or not, because that is WHAT it is!) because I was living in Phoenix and witnessed said invasion with my own eyes.

My next door neighbors painted their house a most disgusting shade of pink. It was a drop house. The two bedroom house across the street had at least 5 families living there. They partied in their front yard every single night... loud music and beer cans tossed into the street. My next door neighbors (on the other side) were a large extended family from grandma on down to the newborn of a 12 year old. They, too, partied in the front yard every night... my yard got ALL their beer cans (which were all thrown back by me the next morning).
Illegal Mexicans took over the street I lived on. It took 10 years, but my family finally left -the last white hold-overs.
I will honestly admit that I very much dislike the illegal Mexican's. Those that took over my neighborhood were NOT nice friendly people... they were damn loud party people who thought the middle of the city was farmland and bonfires in their front yards were a nightly occurrence.
Before I get blasted, I will say that I KNOW not all illegals from Mexico are like this. This is my experience witnessing it first hand. Anyone who knows about Maryvale in Phoenix can tell you how it was taken over.
Lou didn't need to open the eyes of a lot of people, but I am sure glad he opened the eyes of those sitting on the fence. He didn't lie.
(I haven't listened to the video yet, so can't comment on it.)

Old 01-09-2010, 01:20 PM

1,150 posts, read 1,178,369 times
<<And a lot of your first exposures to the immigration debate was through Dobbs.>>

I never watched Lou Dobbs. I saw about 15 minutes of his show once, and decided it wasn't for me, so he had no influence on how I feel. What made me sit up, and take notice was seeing dozens of Mexican flags during the marches. I thought to myself "These people don't give a damn about this country. Their loyalties are to Mexico." What really burned me though, and still does today, is the video of the guy throwing the American flag in the street, and he and others deliberately stomping on it. How dare they enter this country illegally, make demands on the citizens, and disrespect our flag in such a blatant manor? I might take offense at Mexican flags being carried as they were, but I would never trash a foreign nation's flag.

So Lou Dobbs had nothing to do with the way I feel. That little scene with the flag stompers still burns me, and I can see no advantage to the people of this country by having such rude, disrespectful people here. All illegal aliens need to be deported, and the borders sealed against further invasion by people who obviously come only to take, never give back, and show only contempt, and disrespect for this country, and it's citizens.

Old 01-09-2010, 01:42 PM

335 posts, read 328,765 times
Quote:
So the 70% of Americans who are opposed to illegal immigratiion are "fringe activists"? Wow, that's one humongous fringe!

Old 01-09-2010, 01:52 PM

335 posts, read 328,765 times
Quote:

But even now, he has made his mark. He may no longer be in favor, but his rhetoric will stay as the base philosophy of the angry anti-Mexican immigrant camp.
It's not "anti-Mexican immigrant camp". It's anti-illegal alien lawbreaker (regardless of their race or nationality) camp. And what's wrong with being angry at lawbreakers. Should we instead direct our happiness and cheers toward lawbreakers?

Old 01-09-2010, 01:56 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,436,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayarcy View Post
<<And a lot of your first exposures to the immigration debate was through Dobbs.>>

I never watched Lou Dobbs. I saw about 15 minutes of his show once, and decided it wasn't for me, so he had no influence on how I feel. What made me sit up, and take notice was seeing dozens of Mexican flags during the marches. I thought to myself "These people don't give a damn about this country. Their loyalties are to Mexico." What really burned me though, and still does today, is the video of the guy throwing the American flag in the street, and he and others deliberately stomping on it. How dare they enter this country illegally, make demands on the citizens, and disrespect our flag in such a blatant manor? I might take offense at Mexican flags being carried as they were, but I would never trash a foreign nation's flag.

So Lou Dobbs had nothing to do with the way I feel. That little scene with the flag stompers still burns me, and I can see no advantage to the people of this country by having such rude, disrespectful people here. All illegal aliens need to be deported, and the borders sealed against further invasion by people who obviously come only to take, never give back, and show only contempt, and disrespect for this country, and it's citizens.
Everything you said, that's what i'm talking about. So many do show there true colors. When they start showing disrespect for this Country they could not wait to get here, is time for them to leave. To see them the flag stompers, gets me real good to. Go back to where you came from.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration