Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2010, 01:19 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,221,236 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by that1guy View Post
Wow, that is one of the most bigoted statements I've read. Was it really called for to paint a group of people in such broad brush strokes? For somebody that claims to have some experiences with Latin American culture, you sure know how to boil it down to stereotypes.
Guy I am not trying to pick a fight here but just what was racist about macmeal's post? Is Mexico's society like that? I don't know. What I do know is that 21 million illegal mexicans in this country seem to feel that they deserve special treatment and that our laws should not apply to them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2010, 01:19 PM

3,536 posts, read 5,907,380 times
It's pretty obvious. Like their refusal to learn English so that Americans are told, even by the president that we must now learn Spanish to accomodate the illegals who of course cannot be told to learn English.

Most second generation speak English. In fact, most studies show that there is a desire to learn English, yet we lack the resources to teach in many communities.

There are many examples, the celebrations of all Mexican national holidays, the foreign flags being displayed everywhere. The insistence on having the history of Mexico taught instead of USA history in many of the schools.

Being in CA, I feel that we need to also teach colonial history of this region. I see some foreign flags, but I mostly see American flags.

Old 01-10-2010, 01:22 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LZKay1 View Post
I don' understand how American cities, particulary those in California, can change so fast so quickly. How could there suddenly be more Mexicans than any other people? That doesn't make sense... nor is it diversity... nor is it right.

Are most Mexicans you see in this country really illegal?
And yes they are. By "Mexican" I'm assuming the term means Mexican citizen or national, not American citizen, certainly not long term hispanic-Americans whose families may have lived where they live even before where they lived joined the USA.

Most Mexicans living here are not here legally.

Old 01-10-2010, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Guy I am not trying to pick a fight here but just what was racist about macmeal's post? Is Mexico's society like that? I don't know. What I do know is that 21 million illegal mexicans in this country seem to feel that they deserve special treatment and that our laws should not apply to them.
Didn't say racist. First off, there isn't 21 million illegal immigrants. Regardless, saying that Mexican culture is a selfish culture is bigoted statement. Period.

While there are some things of American culture that are "selfish" (we are consumer oriented), I wouldn't go as far as to say that our society is very selfish. Yet, Macmeal stated that:

"In Mexico, it makes perfect sense that 'Mexicans take the biggest share of the pie and to hell with everyone else.'"

This obviously is a bigoted statement. I don't why anyone wouldn't agree with that...regardless of how you feel on illegal immigration.

Old 01-10-2010, 01:33 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,221,236 times
Quote:
Didn't say racist. First off, there isn't 21 million illegal immigrants. Regardless, saying that Mexican culture is a selfish culture is bigoted statement. Period.

While there are some things of American culture that are "selfish" (we are consumer oriented), I wouldn't go as far as to say that our society is very selfish. Yet, Macmeal stated that:

"In Mexico, it makes perfect sense that 'Mexicans take the biggest share of the pie and to hell with everyone else.'"

This obviously is a bigoted statement. I don't why anyone wouldn't agree with that...regardless of how you feel on illegal immigration.
I don't know that I agree with the statement. I honestly don't know all that much about Mexican society. According to Obama the number of illegals is 17 million. This according to his uninsured americans theory.
47 million uninsured 17 million of which are illegals. How do they know? If they are here illegally they really can't be counted at least with any accuracy. 17 million is a low ball figure according to many who think they know something. Some say 12 million. Does it really matter? That would be 12 million abusing our systems.
As for are most mexicans we see here really illegals? I don't know but a good many of them are and that is a fact.

Old 01-10-2010, 01:39 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,387,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
Well, in all fairness, you must admit these folks are acting 'true to form'. In Mexico, it makes perfect sense that "Mexicans take the biggest share of the pie and to hell with everyone else". That's how Mexican society works.

HERE, that doesn't play too well. Americans are cautioned not to think that way. But if you're here illegally, you're not an American....nor is there any illusion that you have any interest in becoming one. Illegal Mexicans don't think, act, or feel like Americans...because they aren't. Many don't want to be. Their interest is in looking out for themselves, not worrying about the cultural sensibilities of Americans.

In one sense, you could say that the 10% of Mexico which is now here is a population of proud Mexicans, doing exactly what they 'should', in accordance with their culture....taking care of Mexicans. The people who are failing to 'act right' are Americans..who SHOULD be enforcing their borders, and SHOULD be hiring only legal help, and SHOULD be outraged at this wholesale, systematic disrespect of our laws...but are not. We're more concerned about who's mean...and who's xenophobic..and who's racist. We have little interest in 'taking care of America'....we're far too Politically Correct for such sentiments.

So who's doing 'right', and who's doing 'wrong'? Depends on who you ask. Just one more of the great 'conundrums' any society faces when it decides to go 'multicultural'. In our infatuation with multiculturalism, it's easy to overlook the fact that what's good in one culture, may very well be BAD in another.
I agree with MOST of what you're saying. America isn't the only multiethnic society in the world by a long shot. However, in other multiethnic societies, one can only truly participate in society if one chooses to accept his/her new country. If not, no on is forcing them to be there.

It's on this issue that I part ways with all my fellow liberals. I am quite conservative on the immigration issue. It's a bit personal for me too. I have great great grandparents who did not speak English, only French. Because of that, they could not get work. Hell have the time they may have been refused service in restaurants. My German and Italian descendant friends have told me the same thing. Therefore, I think it's a big slap in the face for American society to simply ignore it's own laws when everyone who came before them had to follow those laws. We have a process just as every other nation does concerning immigration. Those laws were writen long before anyone knew who our biggest immigrant population would be. In fact, back then, Europeans were the largest immigrant population so this whole racist argument is tired. Thre's nothing racist about a country wanting to follow it's immigration laws, give me a break.

Now, as for your last paragraph, it seems as though you have a problem with multi-ethnic societies. I hope I am reading your words wrong.

Old 01-10-2010, 01:39 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
Quote:

I think he should have specified "Mexican illegal alien" culture, certainly not the culture of proud Mexicans who love their own country and live and work there.

Old 01-10-2010, 01:45 PM

Homeland Security stated that there is 11.4 million illegal immigrants in 2009. CIS stated 11 million in 2009. Pew Hispanic states 11 million in 2009. Typically the figures are 8 million on the low end and 13 million on the high end. Most organizations state about 11 million.

Playing with the numbers is a good way to garner support in either direction. Also, we know that there is a significant percentage of illegal immigrants that have health insurance. I will have to do more research to support any claims in either direction.

Regardless of whether you know Mexican culture or not, you know that it's a wrong statement.

That's why I think there needs to be provisions in order to have them pay into the system as well. If we encourage legal immigration, have a provisional amnesty program, and punative measures for employers hiring illegal immigrants...then we can have that population pay into the system.

Old 01-10-2010, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
I think he should have specified "Mexican illegal alien" culture, certainly not the culture of proud Mexicans who love their own country and live and work there.

Clearly he meant Mexicans in general. And why do you think he should have added illegal or not?

Old 01-10-2010, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
Now, as for your last paragraph, it seems as though you have a problem with multi-ethnic societies. I hope I am reading your words wrong.
He does have problem with them. I've debated him on the issue at length.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration