Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2010, 10:15 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,390,347 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
I get so sick of hearing the word hate associated with illegal immigration. It has not place in the discussion of it. No, I would not move to another country ILLEGALLY! So since our government has failed to enforce our immigration laws and secure our borders we should just shut up about it?

Who is treating anyone badly? By demanding that illegals be deported as our laws state, is treating someone badly? What does different ethnic backgrounds have to do with this issue? It is about our laws! No one is seeking racial purity either. How can you make a statement like that when we are among one of the most racial and ethnic diverse countries in the world already? Please educate yourself, I am getting a headache reading this kind of nonsense.
I agree, this whole anti-Mexican thing that's thrown into illegal immigrant discussions is idiotic! There are Mexican-Americans who are just as much against illegal immigration so are they anti Mexican or hate Mexicans? Please...save it. THIS IS ABOUT THE LAWS OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA NOT BEING RESPECTED...PERIOD!!!

This is like the people who were upset some years back over the caning of an American Student in Singapore because he wrote graffiti. He broke their law and paid the price according to their laws. If you can't handle the punishment in a country, don't break the laws in that country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2010, 10:29 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,556,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
This is like the people who were upset some years back over the caning of an American Student in Singapore because he wrote graffiti. He broke their law and paid the price according to their laws. If you can't handle the punishment in a country, don't break the laws in that country.
I recall that incident well, and I also remember quite a few Americans privately voicing their SUPPORT of the caning of this destructive little jerk, and making remarks to the effect that maybe it would be a good idea to 'cane' a few people over here. Major crime is one thing...but there's nothing quite like deliberate vandalism to bring out the 'urge to kill' among the victims..(I think it was more than just grafitti...as I recall, this 16-year old American walked down the street breaking radio antennas, windshield wipers, and rear-view mirrors off of cars, and 'keying' them, just for kicks. He did about 30 vehicles, I seem to remember).

I recall quite a few people, in a semi-joking tone, who said they'd be glad to HELP administer the caning !)

Not directly related to illegal immigration, but it does point out a lot of the animosity and rancor that's engendered when foreigners break the laws of a country.

Old 01-12-2010, 01:59 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,665,367 times
its sad that the board has gone back to its old ways and makes this about mexicans and not illegal aliens.

for a second we had a good board going... for a second.

so many generalizations. 20 million illegal mexicans? thats ridiculous. the generalizations and exagerations truly diminsh the quality of discussion here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LZKay1 View Post
I don' understand how American cities, particulary those in California, can change so fast so quickly. How could there suddenly be more Mexicans than any other people? That doesn't make sense... nor is it diversity... nor is it right.

Are most Mexicans you see in this country really illegal?

Old 01-12-2010, 03:08 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,318,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the one View Post
its sad that the board has gone back to its old ways and makes this about mexicans and not illegal aliens.

for a second we had a good board going... for a second.

so many generalizations. 20 million illegal mexicans? thats ridiculous. the generalizations and exagerations truly diminsh the quality of discussion here.

They are interchangeable since most of the illegals in this country ARE Mexicans but then you knew that.

Old 01-12-2010, 03:17 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,665,367 times
they are not interchangeable.

thats the same tired argument that people use when talking about other crime. they say black men this, black men that, then offer some dubious statistics about criminality and black men, thus justifying their own prejudices.

id rather just talk about the crimes committed.

plus, the OP seems to have a problem with the state of CA being majority mexican... which it is NOT. they didnt say "i cant beleive CA is over run with illegals". they made it about MEXICANS.

thats ignorant and makes this board/thread/post into a joke.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
They are interchangeable since most of the illegals in this country ARE Mexicans but then you knew that.

Old 01-12-2010, 03:28 PM

640 posts, read 1,732,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
Not true. I hate to reinforce the rumor that MOST are illegal but I will say that the illegal ones do not fit any stereotype. I personally know many Mexicans who come from the typical middle class stereotypical lifestyle. They have admitted to me that they were illegal. One girl told me that her and her family came over illegally and they are hoping for amnesty because her family now owns a nice house and have built a life for themselves...illegally and they speak English very well. You'd never know they were illegal if they didn't tell you.
That is so sickening to me. Why don't they use their money to apply for citizenship like many legal Latinos have?!

It's nice to vent online about this issue, but the reality is that Latinos who speak out publicly against illegal immigration are in a position of putting themselves and their families in personal harm. This relates to other things too-the Hispanic fire fighter in the Supreme Court case comes to mind. He was assaulted for daring to want to be seen equally capable of passing the fire fighting test. He studies hard, gets a great score, insists that people should be seen equally, and then gets assaulted by other Latinos for being too "uppity". It's getting pretty bad for the non-ethnocentric Latinos out there.
You just cannot dare say anything negatively about the "Latinos Uber Alles", not even Latinos who have the capacity to think independently.

Old 01-12-2010, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueseas123 View Post
That is so sickening to me. Why don't they use their money to apply for citizenship like many legal Latinos have?!

It's nice to vent online about this issue, but the reality is that Latinos who speak out publicly against illegal immigration are in a position of putting themselves and their families in personal harm. This relates to other things too-the Hispanic fire fighter in the Supreme Court case comes to mind. He was assaulted for daring to want to be seen equally capable of passing the fire fighting test. He studies hard, gets a great score, insists that people should be seen equally, and then gets assaulted by other Latinos for being too "uppity". It's getting pretty bad for the non-ethnocentric Latinos out there.
You just cannot dare say anything negatively about the "Latinos Uber Alles", not even Latinos who have the capacity to think independently.
In the Latino circle if you don't follow the ethnocentric line these loyal, pro-American Latino citizens get called "vendidos" and "coconuts" aka traitors to the tribe.

Old 01-12-2010, 04:19 PM

Quote:
they are not interchangeable.

thats the same tired argument that people use when talking about other crime. they say black men this, black men that, then offer some dubious statistics about criminality and black men, thus justifying their own prejudices.

id rather just talk about the crimes committed.

plus, the OP seems to have a problem with the state of CA being majority mexican... which it is NOT. they didnt say "i cant beleive CA is over run with illegals". they made it about MEXICANS.

thats ignorant and makes this board/thread/post into a joke.
This has all been explained in here before about why Mexicans take most of the heat. You just refuse to accept those explanations and play the race card instead. It's ok, we are use to it. It falls on deaf ears anymore.

Old 01-12-2010, 06:24 PM

335 posts, read 328,892 times
Quote:
I guess we should just close our eyes and our minds to the fact that the largest number of illegal aliens are from Mexico.

Old 01-12-2010, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbartlebee View Post
I guess we should just close our eyes and our minds to the fact that the largest number of illegal aliens are from Mexico.
Right, because it would be PC to do so. PC is taking this country down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration