Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2010, 07:07 PM

4 posts, read 13,409 times

Advertisements

Why is everything about california? Mexicans have lived there before it was even a state, of course the majority i Mexican, and if they do cross, most likely they to where they can "fit in". It's not right but I can understand alot of peoples struggle. My family came here under poor conditions, and have carved a niche in Florida, and ALL of them have naturalized and are spread out in "mixed" communities. So many here try very hard to become "American" whatever that means to you, and even the children and grandchildren don't know anything elso but to be American.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2010, 07:44 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,134,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guero83 View Post
Why is everything about california? Mexicans have lived there before it was even a state, of course the majority i Mexican, and if they do cross, most likely they to where they can "fit in". It's not right but I can understand alot of peoples struggle. My family came here under poor conditions, and have carved a niche in Florida, and ALL of them have naturalized and are spread out in "mixed" communities. So many here try very hard to become "American" whatever that means to you, and even the children and grandchildren don't know anything elso but to be American.
Your mean from 1821-48? Remember that prior to 1821; there was no Mexico.........it was New Spain.

Old 01-28-2010, 07:50 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,318,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Your mean from 1821-48? Remember that prior to 1821; there was no Mexico.........it was New Spain.
Since there was no Mexico then there were no Mexicans either since Mexican is a nationality. Mexicans became born with the birth of their nation.

Old 01-28-2010, 10:03 PM

234 posts, read 241,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LZKay1 View Post
I don' understand how American cities, particulary those in California, can change so fast so quickly. How could there suddenly be more Mexicans than any other people? That doesn't make sense... nor is it diversity... nor is it right.

Are most Mexicans you see in this country really illegal?
California has an illegal immigrant population of about 2 million. Most seek refuge in sanctuary cities.

According to the 2006–2008 American Community Survey, California's population is:
42.3% White (not including White Hispanic)
36.6% are Hispanic or Latino (of any race)
12.5% Asian
6.7% Black or African American
2.6% Multiracial
1.2% American Indian

Don't forget, Mexicans have always been in California dating back to the 1800's this is really nothing new.

Demographics change, nothing is ever set in stone!

Old 01-28-2010, 10:05 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
per op
not at all, only 20 million. (since last amnesty)

Old 01-28-2010, 10:07 PM

234 posts, read 241,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Since there was no Mexico then there were no Mexicans either since Mexican is a nationality. Mexicans became born with the birth of their nation.

The country of Mexico derived its name from its capital city. The capital city was originally named by the Aztecs as Mexico-Tenochtitlan, which was closely related to the name of an Aztec tribe, the Mexica.

There are various hypotheses about the origin and the meaning of the name Mexico. Of these, two are the most popular: one is related to Mexico’s ancient Aztec city, while the other is related to their god.

One of the theories is that the name Mexico came from a Nahuatl word, Metzthixihtlico. This is the name of the city that the Aztecs built. The city was located in the middle of an island, which was surrounded by Lake Texcoco. The word Metzthixihtlico can be separated into metztli, which means “moon,†and xictli, which means “navel†or “center.†The word thus literally means “navel of the moon†or “center of the moon,†the moon being Lake Texcoco.

Another theory surrounding the origin of the name Mexico is that the country was named after their God, Mexitli. Mexitli, also known as Huitzilopochtli, is their god of war, and is also the patron of the tribe Mexica. Some sources say that Mexitli also derived his name from metzli and xictli, which when combined could also mean “child of the moon.†Thus, Mexico could also mean “place where the god Mexitli lives."

After Mexico was conquered by Spain, the name of the country was modified, and became Mexico. This was the name adapted by the people in Mexico. The letter X, however, was pronounced differently by the Spanish; thus, the word evolved, resulting in a variant of the name Mexico, Mejico. This variant was adapted mostly by the people in Spain. At present the accepted spelling of the name of the country is Mexico, although occasionally, the variant Mejico is still used.

About Mexico - Origins of Mexico

Old 01-29-2010, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico from East Los View Post
California has an illegal immigrant population of about 2 million. Most seek refuge in sanctuary cities.

According to the 2006–2008 American Community Survey, California's population is:
42.3% White (not including White Hispanic)
36.6% are Hispanic or Latino (of any race)
12.5% Asian
6.7% Black or African American
2.6% Multiracial
1.2% American Indian

Don't forget, Mexicans have always been in California dating back to the 1800's this is really nothing new.

Demographics change, nothing is ever set in stone!
As was already stated Mexico didn't exist till 1821 so prior to that there was no such thing as a Mexican. Where is your proof that there are only 2 million illegal aliens in Calif? I don't have the stats at hand but I have read that there is nearlly triple that in Calif. I live here and I can certainly believe that. Illegals aren't just hiding out in sanctuary cities either.

Demographics may change and I don't have a problem with that as long as it occurs naturally. Illegal immigration changing the demographics of a country or area is not natural.

Old 05-12-2010, 03:27 PM

2,549 posts, read 2,722,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
I am 47 years old. I have yet to meet anyone who wanted to live in CA other than folks from Ca.
Why are Mexicans suspect? Could it be that Mexicans are the most numerous abusers of our immigration laws?
Yeah CA. Who would want to live here? What with the beaches and mountains in close proximity and that damned warm weather. I am a native Angeleno. My daughter is a third generation native. I admit. I am biased. But let me just say that I have friends, and neighbors, here who have come from all over the country and the world. Russia. China. Vietnam. Ireland. Japan. Armenia. New York. Washington State. Nebraska. Florida. Illinois. Even the City, San Fransisco. Why? I am sure weather has a bit to do with it and equally sure that it wasn't to come face to face with all those illegal Mexicans. Mexicans are suspect because they are close in proximity and are utilized in many industries here (garment, farming, restaurants, landscaping, painting). Most I have come across are hard working. Do they want to assimilate? I am sure some do and some don't and I am equally sure that we have many socio-economic issues as a result of their being here.

Old 05-12-2010, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Floyd View Post
Yeah CA. Who would want to live here? What with the beaches and mountains in close proximity and that damned warm weather. I am a native Angeleno. My daughter is a third generation native. I admit. I am biased. But let me just say that I have friends, and neighbors, here who have come from all over the country and the world. Russia. China. Vietnam. Ireland. Japan. Armenia. New York. Washington State. Nebraska. Florida. Illinois. Even the City, San Fransisco. Why? I am sure weather has a bit to do with it and equally sure that it wasn't to come face to face with all those illegal Mexicans. Mexicans are suspect because they are close in proximity and are utilized in many industries here (garment, farming, restaurants, landscaping, painting). Most I have come across are hard working. Do they want to assimilate? I am sure some do and some don't and I am equally sure that we have many socio-economic issues as a result of their being here.
Being a hard worker is not the criteria for being allowed to come here it is based on our immigration laws. History has shown that they as a group are the least willing to assimilate as an ethnic group and come from a country based on corruption. Do we need more from this group based on that? I don't think so. I am sure there are many immigrants across the world that are just as hard working and more willing to assimilate.

Old 05-12-2010, 04:02 PM

2,549 posts, read 2,722,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Being a hard worker is not the criteria for being allowed to come here it is based on our immigration laws. History has shown that they as a group are the least willing to assimilate as an ethnic group and come from a country based on corruption. Do we need more from this group based on that? I don't think so. I am sure there are many immigrants across the world that are just as hard working and more willing to assimilate.
So let me get try a more direct approach with you, and this topic...In your opinion, to be Mexican is to be corrupt and unwilling to assimilate? Where do you get this support? Not so much the number that are here but the amount that don't want anything to do with becoming an American. I know I am setting myself up for a lecture from you but I'll ask anyway...Is it possible that many are fleeing the poverty and corruption of Mexico and are willing to become citizens? What % are these per your sources?

I have met a lot of Mexicans here in So Cal, in my life so far, who happen to be US citizens. As far as I know...They aren't militant. They aren't organizing youth groups to eventually take over. They are working, living and playing just like the rest of us. Yes. I have met many a laborer that I might question their legality but for every one of those, I know at least one of the legal / citizen variety.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration