Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2010, 04:28 PM

13,387 posts, read 19,360,162 times

Advertisements

"Immigrants riot in Italy amid racial unrest"

08 Jan 2010 19:58:31 GMT
Source: Reuters
* Worst episode of Italian racial unrest in years

* Opposition accuses govt of fuelling xenophobia

* Southern town still tense, more immigrants wounded Friday

(Recasts with new violence, background)

By Ilario Filippone

ROSARNO, Italy, Jan 8 (Reuters) - Clashes between immigrants and locals in a southern Italian town entered a second day on Friday, with the government rushing extra police to try to stem one of the worst episodes of racial unrest in years.

The violence inflamed a long-running political debate on immigration, with the interior minister saying years of excessive "tolerance" were behind the violence, and the opposition accusing the government of fuelling xenophobia.

President Giorgio Napolitano called for an immediate end to the unrest, during which at least 37 people, including 18 policemen, have been injured.

Some 8,000 illegal immigrants work in the southern Calabria region where the clashes have erupted, most as day labourers picking fruit and vegetables. Many live in abandoned factories with no running water or electricity and human rights groups say they are exploited by organised crime.Moderator cut: shortened, copyright protection

read more...(more updates to come)
Reuters AlertNet - Immigrants riot in Italy amid racial unrest

Last edited by Yac; 01-12-2010 at 04:28 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2010, 07:07 PM

UPDATE:

Pope denounces Italy immigrant clashes

By NICOLE WINFIELD
The Associated Press
Sunday, January 10, 2010; 12:47 PM

VATICAN CITY -- Pope Benedict XVI denounced the riots last week between immigrants and Italians in southern Italy, saying Sunday that migrants have rights, must be respected, and are equally loved by God.

Benedict made the unusual commentary on current events during his weekly noon blessing, clearly coming down on the side of the migrants in exhorting Italians to see them as human beings and not just labor to be exploited.

"I invite everyone to look in the face of the other and discover that there is a soul, a history, a life, a person whom God loves as he loves me," Benedict said.

The riots by hundreds of African migrant workers erupted Thursday night in Rosarno, a town in the underdeveloped agricultural region of Calabria, after two migrants were wounded in a shooting. Dozens were injured in the two days of clashes, which officials say may have been provoked by the region's powerful organized crime group - the 'ndrangheta.

The violence underscored the simmering tensions between immigrants and Italians, many of whom resent the foreigners yet rely on their labor to do the agricultural, domestic or factory work that many Italians refuse to do.

read more:

Pope denounces Italy immigrant clashes - washingtonpost.com (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/01/10/AR2010011000807.html?hpid=sec-religion - broken link)

Old 01-11-2010, 07:25 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,272,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkfarnam View Post
UPDATE:

Pope denounces Italy immigrant clashes

By NICOLE WINFIELD
The Associated Press

VATICAN CITY -- Pope Benedict XVI denounced the riots last week between immigrants and Italians in southern Italy, saying Sunday that migrants have rights, must be respected, and are equally loved by God.

Benedict made the unusual commentary on current events during his weekly noon blessing, clearly coming down on the side of the migrants in exhorting Italians to see them as human beings and not just labor to be exploited.

"I invite everyone to look in the face of the other and discover that there is a soul, a history, a life, a person whom God loves as he loves me," Benedict said.

The riots by hundreds of African migrant workers erupted Thursday night in Rosarno, a town in the underdeveloped agricultural region of Calabria, after two migrants were wounded in a shooting. Dozens were injured in the two days of clashes, which officials say may have been provoked by the region's powerful organized crime group - the 'ndrangheta.

The violence underscored the simmering tensions between immigrants and Italians, many of whom resent the foreigners yet rely on their labor to do the agricultural, domestic or factory work that many Italians refuse to do.

read more:

Pope denounces Italy immigrant clashes - washingtonpost.com (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/01/10/AR2010011000807.html?hpid=sec-religion - broken link)
While abhor violence there goes the Catholic Church again sticking their noses into politics.

Old 01-11-2010, 09:44 PM

1,908 posts, read 2,527,459 times
Quote:

read more:

Those dang Italians are as lazy as the Americans.
I'm sure the Italians are refusing to do all those jobs taken by the African illegals.
I'm so happy to see that it is indeed a small world after all.

Old 01-11-2010, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tulani View Post
Those dang Italians are as lazy as the Americans.
I'm sure the Italians are refusing to do all those jobs taken by the African illegals.
I'm so happy to see that it is indeed a small world after all.
Enjoy your happiness while you still have it.

Old 01-11-2010, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Enjoy your happiness while you still have it.
Thanks.

Really, I think this makes the world smaller... I hate the illegal problem in the US and I would hate it if I was an Italian in Italy. Somehow knowing a country half way around the world is experiencing the same crap from their loser neighbors makes me feel closer to the Italians - almost like kin. I feel their pain.

Old 01-11-2010, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tulani View Post
Thanks.

Really, I think this makes the world smaller... I hate the illegal problem in the US and I would hate it if I was an Italian in Italy. Somehow knowing a country half way around the world is experiencing the same crap from their loser neighbors makes me feel closer to the Italians - almost like kin. I feel their pain.
Your post before ths one was hard to interpet which direction you were heading with it.
Now it's more clear.

Old 01-12-2010, 01:23 AM

Quote:
Your post before ths one was hard to interpet which direction you were heading with it.
Now it's more clear.
I figured as much.

Glad we are clear on this then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration