Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2010, 12:30 PM

3,948 posts, read 4,305,916 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by that1guy View Post
So do away with in/out of state tuition. How will that encourage others to come in and break the rules?
Are you serious? So, once again you are asking people to change things because of the illegal immigrant population. "Do away with in-state and out-of-state tuition?" Are you crazy? Do you even know why we have in-state and out-of-state tuition? I swear, some of the people that try so hard to justify illegal immigration and defend illegal immigrants have some really outrageous, drastic and ridiculous solutions to keeping people from demanding action to be taken against illegal immigration.

"Get rid of in-state and out-of-state tuition!" Yes, let's change something as important and reasonable as that just to accomodate illegal immigrants and make it OK for them to be here or to keep the heat off of the issue. And just how do you think residents of a state would feel when they've paid taxes all their life and can't pay a reduced tuition? That's how it goes though, people recommending things to help illegal immigrants, but to make it unfair to US Citizens and legal residents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2010, 12:45 PM

12,755 posts, read 9,647,591 times
Quote:
So change the the system. And yes it is a contradiction. Many of these kids actually don't know until 16 or 18 (when you get a driver's license or apply to college).
Hey, you know what? Life's a beetch. Deal with your reality. Do what's right. EARN your way.

So they find out at 16 or 18 that they are illegal. What's their next thought? Really, what is it? Is it, "Gee I better do something about my status if I want to live in the USA"? Or is it "How long can I get away with what I'm doing and how many groups can I join to force the USA to change for ME"?

Babies whimper and whine. Babies don't belong in college.

So 'change the system'?? HaHaHa. No, our laws should not be changed to accommodate foreign nationals.

Old 01-12-2010, 12:46 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,562,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Keegan View Post
Well, the New Jersey Taxpayer anyway.
The next step is to get a list of all the NJ legislators who were in favor, and work toward making sure they don't get re elected.
Not only them, but ALL members of Congress supporting the DREAM Act. They all need to be replaced by people who will serve their constituents, rather than foreigners who willfully violate our laws. They can listen to Dreamies if they choose; but, illegal aliens do not have the power to decide whether they return to Washington, or retire to their home state in defeat. We the People determine their political fate. If they have forgotten this simple fact, perhaps we need to remind them.

Old 01-12-2010, 01:58 PM

13,387 posts, read 19,429,775 times
Quote:
So do away with in/out of state tuition. How will that encourage others to come in and break the rules?
That statement proves that you only look at one side of the issue.

Old 01-12-2010, 02:31 PM

335 posts, read 328,892 times
Quote:
Nope. Typically, it's simply wages. Not higher education that attracts illegal immigrants or the ability to drive legally in the US.
According to you, illegal aliens don't come here for a higher education or for a driver's license. Then there's no valid reason for us to give illegal aliens either one of these things.

Old 01-12-2010, 02:48 PM

6,175 posts, read 12,939,084 times
Quote:
Nope. Typically, it's simply wages. Not higher education that attracts illegal immigrants or the ability to drive legally in the US.
Well then, they shouldn't be so worried about getting the in state rate for an education they don't want.

Old 01-12-2010, 02:55 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,318,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoEdible View Post
Are you serious? So, once again you are asking people to change things because of the illegal immigrant population. "Do away with in-state and out-of-state tuition?" Are you crazy? Do you even know why we have in-state and out-of-state tuition? I swear, some of the people that try so hard to justify illegal immigration and defend illegal immigrants have some really outrageous, drastic and ridiculous solutions to keeping people from demanding action to be taken against illegal immigration.

"Get rid of in-state and out-of-state tuition!" Yes, let's change something as important and reasonable as that just to accomodate illegal immigrants and make it OK for them to be here or to keep the heat off of the issue. And just how do you think residents of a state would feel when they've paid taxes all their life and can't pay a reduced tuition? That's how it goes though, people recommending things to help illegal immigrants, but to make it unfair to US Citizens and legal residents.
It is mind baffling, isn't it? Especially when this kind of tripe comes from a U.S. citizen.

Old 01-12-2010, 04:09 PM

3,948 posts, read 4,305,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Keegan View Post
Well then, they shouldn't be so worried about getting the in state rate for an education they don't want.
Boom!

Old 01-12-2010, 05:55 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,221,236 times
Quote:
I don't believe in the notion of out of state tuition. Esp. with some public school systems (UC and UMich come to mind). Currently, a trend in many public schools is to try to get more out of state students. This makes it harder for in-state students. This also contributes to the ridiculous cost of higher education in this nation. How much more of a burden should we place on the youth of this nation?

Also, wouldn't you want more illegal immigrants to gain better education? Since one of the major complaints is that illegal immigrants have low education attainment, wouldn't you want more going to college? If we normalize the status of those that went to college, we could encourage more in the Hispanic community to go to college...since they have the lowest college going rates out of any ethnic/racial group in the nation.

I don't see a positive to either increased tuition (out of state) and/or restriction of access to college.
Actually what we would like is for said illegals to go back to their country of origin and get an education there rather than here. I for one have no desire to pay for their education. I will be paying for my step daughters soon enough and she is a legal resident.

Old 01-13-2010, 12:13 AM

3,536 posts, read 5,907,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoEdible View Post
You can't sit there and act like wages is the only reason illegal immigrants come here. The person you quoted is correct in the point that they were making. Many illegal immigrants just want to come to the US for more opportunities all across the spectrum: education and health for their children or their potential children, social services, better living conditions and also work. You are saying that it is always and all about "wages," or "typically" as you say it, which proves that you are aware that it is not always about wages, which is what the other poster was proving.
But that's what happens. Illegal immigration is driven by jobs. That's pretty much number 1. Not so much education (esp. not higher ed). Not due to healthcare (they have cheaper healthcare on average in Mexico...the number 1 source of illegal immigrants).

The countries that send high numbers of illegal immigrants have higher unemployment rates...so it's mostly about wages. You may also have political unrest and familial ties...but political unrest affects the job market and familial ties are usually forgone by better pay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration