U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-15-2010, 10:17 PM
 
3,847 posts, read 3,161,032 times
Reputation: 2437

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slig View Post
I think 2/3 of the US population should fast for obesity...
I agree,but yor statement is going to p** off a lot of people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-16-2010, 02:09 PM
 
3,536 posts, read 5,076,921 times
Reputation: 822
I'd LIKE to make a few comments here, regarding the tough spot these folks find themselves in, and how, though they're illegal here, one STILL has to feel a lot of sympathy and compassion, and a lot of mixed emotions.

However, most of my comments would probably eventually mention 'Third World' conditions and cultural practices....and every time I do this, someone 'bawls me out', since there really IS no such thing as the 'Third World', and all cultures treat their members equally to all OTHER cultures..

You don't know what your talking about. It's remarkable the sheer ignorance you have concerning this issue. Everytime you mention the third world mentality, you are showing more of your ignorance on the issue as well as your own bias. Hopefully, the majority of Americans one day will realize that there are more commonalities than differences between cultures.

Also, there is a group of people that have mystical beliefs and lead lives that are out of the realm of the gov't. They are encouraged to take many wives and subjugate them into domestic slavery. There culture is unique to North America...the Mormons. Clearly, Mormons are not of the third world, yet have the "trappings" of a primitive culture (to some).

Meanwhile, my third world cousin completed her law degree from the Sorbonne. Oh, my other "third world" cousin protested the humantarian crisis concerning the dumping of toxic chemicals. Let's also not forget that Mexican culture is VERY steeped in European culture as well.

It's mind boggling that you just don't get it.

So I won't comment, other than to say I feel a lot of compassion for these people, but at the same time I realize that we live by a system of laws, which we must continue to do, if we don't want to end up in the 'Thir......'

You just did comment on it.

.....well, I guess I should say, if we don't want OUR system, here, to fall apart.

Turn off Fox News and learn a little bit of what's going on.

I'd like to say more, but don't want to provoke a 'firestorm'.

Sorry if some people don't tolerate offense comments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-16-2010, 02:15 PM
 
3,536 posts, read 5,076,921 times
Reputation: 822
I typed in Mexican protests government. I got results concerning protests from journalists, sugar cane farmers protesting, the Tlatelolco massacre (older since it's 1968), a protest concerning the governmental budget, textile workers protesting, electrical workers protesting, miners protesting...the list goes on.

So the question is to, mommylee and others, how did you not get these same results? Clearly there are a lot of protests happening. However, with such a caste-like system (due to the concentration of wealth and power) not to much can change. Kind of like here in the United States.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-16-2010, 02:31 PM
 
Location: Indiana
183 posts, read 204,942 times
Reputation: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by that1guy View Post
I typed in Mexican protests government. I got results concerning protests from journalists, sugar cane farmers protesting, the Tlatelolco massacre (older since it's 1968), a protest concerning the governmental budget, textile workers protesting, electrical workers protesting, miners protesting...the list goes on.

So the question is to, mommylee and others, how did you not get these same results? Clearly there are a lot of protests happening. However, with such a caste-like system (due to the concentration of wealth and power) not to much can change. Kind of like here in the United States.
what were the dates on these protests? were they within the last 3 years? I have stated many times, their government obviously doesnt listen to them just as ours doesnt listen to us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-16-2010, 04:40 PM
 
47,576 posts, read 58,699,632 times
Reputation: 22158
Quote:
Originally Posted by that1guy View Post
They do demand things from their own governments. Many people want change in their home countries. When you have large disparities in wealth resulting in a small upper class, a VERY small middle class, and a large underclass...coupled with backing and support of the upper class from a certain super power, it's pretty hard to get things done. Ah, the politics of the third world. Nothing really changes since the neo-colonial structure rarely changes.
So your point is that anyone who isn't happy with their government needs to simply move to the USA and if they can't make it here, they should be provided food stamps galore, free health care and all the rest?

Fleeing doesn't do a thing for their country, it helps the powers-that-be remain in power indefinitely. Massive and unlimited immigration actually worsens the situation, those who might work for change actually find it easier to come to the USA. So you end up with someone like Fidel Castro who remains in power, keeps winning elections through very many USA presidential terms.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-16-2010, 04:43 PM
 
47,576 posts, read 58,699,632 times
Reputation: 22158
[quote=that1guy;12475036]I typed in Mexican protests government. I got results concerning protests from journalists, sugar cane farmers protesting, the Tlatelolco massacre (older since it's 1968), a protest concerning the governmental budget, textile workers protesting, electrical workers protesting, miners protesting...the list goes on.

So the question is to, mommylee and others, how did you not get these same results? Clearly there are a lot of protests happening. However, with such a caste-like system (due to the concentration of wealth and power) not to much can change. Kind of like here in the United States.[/QUOTE]

Just like the corrupt USA government is doing all it can to get jobs exported and unlimited numbers of cheap labor brought in and of course is also bringing in many government dependent types because they make wonderful easily led voters for the political class that intends to hold power forever.

You said it yourself - the USA is no better so they aren't coming here because things are less corrupt or because our wealthy class is poorer, they're coming because the government here is far more generous with the taxpayers' money, provides basically everything they could ever want in the way of material luxuries.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-16-2010, 05:18 PM
 
335 posts, read 280,964 times
Reputation: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by that1guy View Post

Turn off Fox News and learn a little bit of what's going on.
This same advice applies to MSNBC, CNN, ABC, CBS, and NBC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-17-2010, 01:30 PM
 
3,951 posts, read 3,582,217 times
Reputation: 1270
Quote:
Originally Posted by slig View Post
i think 2/3 of the us population should fast for obesity...
lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-17-2010, 01:31 PM
 
3,951 posts, read 3,582,217 times
Reputation: 1270
Quote:
Originally Posted by that1guy View Post

You don't know what your talking about. It's remarkable the sheer ignorance you have concerning this issue.
You've got your nerves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-17-2010, 01:32 PM
 
3,951 posts, read 3,582,217 times
Reputation: 1270
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
So your point is that anyone who isn't happy with their government needs to simply move to the USA and if they can't make it here, they should be provided food stamps galore, free health care and all the rest?
That's how most people here who are pro-illegal immigration appear to think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top