U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2010, 08:25 PM

15,179 posts, read 15,824,744 times

Advertisements

Can it get more ridiculous?

Quote:
There have been repeated attempts by the National Association of Hispanic Journalists (NAHJ) to educate colleagues that the term "illegal immigrant" has the same connotation for those immigrants labeled as such as the "N" word has for blacks.

Now, mainstream media, notably USA TODAY, has taken it another step further -- referring to undocumented students as "illegal students."

Yet, unlike their parents, these young men and women are fighting back to preserve the one thing they won't allow the media to take from them -- their dignity.

While the USA TODAY reporter was just doing her job and following company policy in how undocumented students are referred to, it's clear that not only USA TODAY must change company policy but also every other mainstream newspaper that insists on using this derogatory term to label a specific demographic.

With news that in 41 years white majority will end in the nation, as it already has in certain cities and regions across the country, it makes sense for mainstream media to start paying attention to the feelings and demands of a population that will comprise the largest share of citizenry in the future -- and of tomorrow's readers.
Undocumented students challenge USA TODAY's usage of "illegal students" (Latina Lista) (http://www.latinalista.net/palabrafinal/2009/12/undocumented_students_challenge_usa_toda.html - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2010, 09:01 PM

14,307 posts, read 11,158,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Can it get more ridiculous?

Undocumented students challenge USA TODAY's usage of "illegal students" (Latina Lista) (http://www.latinalista.net/palabrafinal/2009/12/undocumented_students_challenge_usa_toda.html - broken link)
No, it can't and in fact it made me lose my dinner it was so sickening. So we should change the legal lingo for illegal aliens because Hispanics may be the new majority decades from now? Illegal aliens come from different ethnic groups not just Hispanics and just what is this saying about the Hispanic citizens who agree with this crap? It just proves my point about their arrogant ethnocentricism.

Old 01-15-2010, 10:50 PM

1,856 posts, read 2,028,562 times
The 'N' word was a derogatory word used towards a certain group of humankind, therefore it is racist.
Saying that 'illegal immigrant' or 'illegal student' is derogatory is incorrect. Illegal immigrants as a group are not a race, but are many people from many countries who have entered another country ILLEGALLY.
To me, illegal means "the action" and immigrant describes "the person". I can't see where there is any discrimination in these two/three words.

Old 01-16-2010, 12:17 AM

335 posts, read 281,220 times
I guess we better quit calling bank robbers "bank robbers" because it has the same connotation for these criminals labeled as such as the "N" word has for blacks.

Old 01-16-2010, 02:19 AM

331 posts, read 435,009 times
Maybe we whites should throw a hissy fit when we're called "white", or "taxpaying citizens".

Old 01-16-2010, 03:23 AM

21 posts, read 22,470 times
We need to stop the use of Orwellian speach; Reference "1984" by George Orwell and his "Ministry of Truth".

There is Illegal and there is Legal. There is illegal immigrant and there is legal immigrant.

How can we move forward to teach Law and American Civics if we allow this manipulation of language. The truth is the truth.

There is no ALMOST TRUE or SORTA TRUE.

Whats next?

The Thought Police?

Old 01-16-2010, 07:15 AM

60,446 posts, read 30,701,915 times
illegal Immigrant....

That is incorrect. They are not immigrants, they are trespassers.

Illegal trespassers, who are illegal aliens.

Tell it like it is, instead of trying to sugar coat a very bad thing.

Old 01-16-2010, 09:59 AM

32,823 posts, read 30,091,418 times
If someone is breaking our laws I want them to be offended. So offended they leave.

Old 01-17-2010, 12:59 AM

44 posts, read 33,677 times
I guess now we'll refer to rapists as Chivalry Challenged-Americans.

Old 01-17-2010, 01:37 AM

331 posts, read 435,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLer2562 View Post
I guess now we'll refer to rapists as Chivalry Challenged-Americans.
Haha!

They should be offended. So offended that they leave. Props to whoever said that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or