U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-16-2010, 04:23 PM
 
Location: North Texas
23,599 posts, read 31,152,740 times
Reputation: 26663

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by XodoX View Post
They put El Salvador and some other country on that list in 1999 and 2001. That's an amnesty. Those countries are still on the list today. Almost after 10 years.

Btw. It's VERY easy to tell how many Haitians are here. They can't swim or walk to the US. They have to come by plane or boat. They need to go through immigration check points. That's how they know it. Came here on a tourist visa and never returned.
Not always; they have been known to wash up on shore in Florida and the Keys. Haiti is very close to Cuba and it is not unheard of for them to come here on boats they themselves built...sometimes with Cubans!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-16-2010, 10:59 PM
 
2,381 posts, read 4,410,081 times
Reputation: 475
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Which country? How many millions of people is your other country taking in? Will Mexico bring in many Haitians and give them free everything? Keep in mind, just like Cubans and Mexicans, they will never return home.
We are discussing the decision of The Obama Administration to grant temporary legal status to the Haitians that are already here. Therefore, I am referring to the US. However, I am equally proud of my other country for their prompt response to aid Haitians and their numerous contributions that have not been mentioned in US media.

I think you have not reviewed the decision from the Obama Administration and the US Homeland Security. They are NOT bringing in anyone. They will keep returning Haitians that try to come into the country illegally. This only affects those that are already here on US territory.

Quote:
However, she said, Haitians who now attempt to travel to the United States will not be eligible for the temporary status and will be repatriated to Haiti. She added that there have been no signs so far of an increase of Haitian nationals trying to enter the United States after Tuesday's earthquake.
Haitians in U.S. can apply for protected status - CNN.com

How many are in Mexico? I dont think Mexico is actively looking for illegal immigrants to deport...much less from Haiti. If they bring in Haitians that would be awesome. That would also give me another reason to be proud of them. That being said, Republica Dominicana not only stopped all deportations to undocumented Haitians, they are taking in many others. Their hospitals are completely full and many of the injured Haitians have not even been seen by the doctors. Some that are more stable are sleeping on the floor with their children.

On the other hand,Senegal, an African country, offered Haitians free land.

Quote:
DAKAR, Senegal -- Senegal is offering free land to Haitians wishing to "return to their origins" following this week's devastating earthquake, which has destroyed the capital and buried thousands of people beneath rubble.
Senegal's octogenarian President Abdoulaye Wade told a meeting of his advisers that Haitians are the sons and daughters of Africa, because the country was founded by slaves, including some believed to have come from Senegal.
"The president is offering voluntary repatriation to any Haitian that wants to return to their origin," said Wade's spokesman Mamadou Bemba Ndiaye late Saturday following the president's announcement.
"Senegal is ready to offer them parcels of land - even an entire region. It all depends on how many Haitians come. If it's just a few individuals, then we will likely offer them housing or small pieces of land. If they come en masse we are ready to give them a region," he said.
Senegal offers land to Haitians that want to come - World AP - MiamiHerald.com (http://www.miamiherald.com/news/world/AP/story/1429259.html - broken link)

France has also stopped all deportations for Haitians.

France suspends expulsions of illegal Haitians – Inform (http://www.inform.com/article/France%20suspends%20expulsions%20of%20illegal%20Ha itians - broken link)


Canada did as well.

Canada to speed up immigration requests from Haiti - World AP - MiamiHerald.com (http://www.miamiherald.com/news/world/AP/story/1429158.html - broken link)


The list goes on...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-17-2010, 12:56 AM
 
Location: Massachusetts
21 posts, read 22,446 times
Reputation: 19
[quote=zacatecana;12480736]We are discussing the decision of The Obama Administration to grant temporary legal status to the Haitians that are already here. Therefore, I am referring to the US. However, I am equally proud of my other country for their prompt response to aid Haitians and their numerous contributions that have not been mentioned in US media.

I think you have not reviewed the decision from the Obama Administration and the US Homeland Security. They are NOT bringing in anyone. They will keep returning Haitians that try to come into the country illegally. This only affects those that are already here on US territory.


Well Said,

All citizens of all Nations and those born around the Globe should be proud of the help given by their respective countries.

MY ONLY ISSUE is WHY should we give work permits and other Status to those already here in the US, Illegally?
I am against Amnesty of any form here.

I am also against Illegal Immigration of all forms. I do not care about race or color in that respect. I do hold Employers and Politicians as responsible for this, as well as the waves that keep coming.
In Our own households across the world We have to make descissions based on Economics and Finances available.

Why, as a Nation should we not be allowed to make those same logical descissions without being declared Racists or Xenophobes. (not refering directly to you)

It is about Jobs and Services for American Citizens Of All Ethnicities First.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-17-2010, 08:18 AM
 
Location: North Texas
23,599 posts, read 31,152,740 times
Reputation: 26663
[quote=DA-ahn;12481408]
Quote:
Originally Posted by zacatecana View Post
We are discussing the decision of The Obama Administration to grant temporary legal status to the Haitians that are already here. Therefore, I am referring to the US. However, I am equally proud of my other country for their prompt response to aid Haitians and their numerous contributions that have not been mentioned in US media.

I think you have not reviewed the decision from the Obama Administration and the US Homeland Security. They are NOT bringing in anyone. They will keep returning Haitians that try to come into the country illegally. This only affects those that are already here on US territory.


Well Said,

All citizens of all Nations and those born around the Globe should be proud of the help given by their respective countries.

MY ONLY ISSUE is WHY should we give work permits and other Status to those already here in the US, Illegally?
I am against Amnesty of any form here.

I am also against Illegal Immigration of all forms. I do not care about race or color in that respect. I do hold Employers and Politicians as responsible for this, as well as the waves that keep coming.
In Our own households across the world We have to make descissions based on Economics and Finances available.

Why, as a Nation should we not be allowed to make those same logical descissions without being declared Racists or Xenophobes. (not refering directly to you)

It is about Jobs and Services for American Citizens Of All Ethnicities First.
For me it's about human compassion. Haiti is the poorest country in this hemisphere and one of the poorest in the world. Now they've been laid low by an earthquake that has pretty much put them back in the stone age where people have little to no food, little to no water, and people are dying in the streets of injuries that would be very treatable here. There is no functioning government and almost no infrastructure left. Basically "Haiti" as a governmental entity has been wiped off the map.

We can't send people back into that. We just can't. It's inhumane.

I agree with the decision to grant them temporary protected status, though I also have my doubts that it will last for only 18 months. El Salvador, Honduras, and Nicaragua have been on the list for an average of 10 years apiece. I think we ought to review their statuses, personally. Sudan I agree with, and Somalia, no question; Somalia has not had a functioning government for nearly two decades. You can't send someone back to a country that, for all intents and purposes, does not exist. I hope the TPS is just that....temporary. But what else can we do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-17-2010, 09:23 AM
 
Location: Maryland
15,179 posts, read 15,813,362 times
Reputation: 3028
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
For me it's about human compassion. Haiti is the poorest country in this hemisphere and one of the poorest in the world. Now they've been laid low by an earthquake that has pretty much put them back in the stone age where people have little to no food, little to no water, and people are dying in the streets of injuries that would be very treatable here. There is no functioning government and almost no infrastructure left. Basically "Haiti" as a governmental entity has been wiped off the map.

We can't send people back into that. We just can't. It's inhumane.

I agree with the decision to grant them temporary protected status, though I also have my doubts that it will last for only 18 months. El Salvador, Honduras, and Nicaragua have been on the list for an average of 10 years apiece. I think we ought to review their statuses, personally. Sudan I agree with, and Somalia, no question; Somalia has not had a functioning government for nearly two decades. You can't send someone back to a country that, for all intents and purposes, does not exist. I hope the TPS is just that....temporary. But what else can we do?
My sentiments exactly!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-17-2010, 09:31 AM
 
Location: Maryland
15,179 posts, read 15,813,362 times
Reputation: 3028
Quote:
Originally Posted by zacatecana View Post
Haitians in U.S. can apply for protected status - CNN.com

How many are in Mexico? I dont think Mexico is actively looking for illegal immigrants to deport...much less from Haiti. If they bring in Haitians that would be awesome. That would also give me another reason to be proud of them. That being said, Republica Dominicana not only stopped all deportations to undocumented Haitians, they are taking in many others. Their hospitals are completely full and many of the injured Haitians have not even been seen by the doctors. Some that are more stable are sleeping on the floor with their children.

On the other hand,Senegal, an African country, offered Haitians free land.

Senegal offers land to Haitians that want to come - World AP - MiamiHerald.com (http://www.miamiherald.com/news/world/AP/story/1429259.html - broken link)

France has also stopped all deportations for Haitians.

France suspends expulsions of illegal Haitians – Inform (http://www.inform.com/article/France%20suspends%20expulsions%20of%20illegal%20Ha itians - broken link)

Canada did as well.

Canada to speed up immigration requests from Haiti - World AP - MiamiHerald.com (http://www.miamiherald.com/news/world/AP/story/1429158.html - broken link)


The list goes on...
I am assuming there are no illegal Haitians in Mexico, since they are not mentioned among the countries halting their deportations. Do you think Mexico will at least offer refuge to Haitians? Then again, how can they? Aren’t their poor being dumped on the US?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-17-2010, 12:38 PM
 
Location: Sacramento
29 posts, read 110,341 times
Reputation: 29
Wow way to go Obama....At least he's doing something right. That is awesome. Hopefully they will start to allow Haitian's to come into the US from Haiti as a safehaven until things get better
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-17-2010, 03:11 PM
 
14,307 posts, read 11,149,569 times
Reputation: 2130
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShesBlessed View Post
Wow way to go Obama....At least he's doing something right. That is awesome. Hopefully they will start to allow Haitian's to come into the US from Haiti as a safehaven until things get better
Are you kidding me? We have enough problems of our own right now and don't need the added population. Especially not more poor and destitute that we don't even have jobs for. Why not continue to help them in their own country?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-17-2010, 05:13 PM
 
421 posts, read 985,452 times
Reputation: 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Are you kidding me? We have enough problems of our own right now and don't need the added population. Especially not more poor and destitute that we don't even have jobs for. Why not continue to help them in their own country?
You apparently do not grasp the scope of the problem. You can't just pile people on a plane and dump them into an earthquake zone. This isn't adding anything to the population; these people are already here. I suspect they already have jobs too. I suspect they are not "poor and destitute". I know quite a few Haitian people in New York. All are hard working good people.

I know it's hard for some to believe, but in the grand scheme of things this is a relatively low number of people, and it's in line with visas that are expiring. Haitians are not "washing up onshore" like driftwood. (That was a hilarious statement.) And before you say anything about Miami, I was born there and am very much aware of the Haitian community there.

The xenophobia that extends to wanting to dump people on an island that is flattened by an earthquake is stunning to me. Even that someone thinks it's okay to do this is so evil and cruel to me. On par with Hitler. Really.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-17-2010, 06:11 PM
 
14,307 posts, read 11,149,569 times
Reputation: 2130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellie C. View Post
You apparently do not grasp the scope of the problem. You can't just pile people on a plane and dump them into an earthquake zone. This isn't adding anything to the population; these people are already here. I suspect they already have jobs too. I suspect they are not "poor and destitute". I know quite a few Haitian people in New York. All are hard working good people.

I know it's hard for some to believe, but in the grand scheme of things this is a relatively low number of people, and it's in line with visas that are expiring. Haitians are not "washing up onshore" like driftwood. (That was a hilarious statement.) And before you say anything about Miami, I was born there and am very much aware of the Haitian community there.

The xenophobia that extends to wanting to dump people on an island that is flattened by an earthquake is stunning to me. Even that someone thinks it's okay to do this is so evil and cruel to me. On par with Hitler. Really.
I wasn't talking about those Haitians already here. I was addressing someone who thinks we should bring more of them over here instead of helping them in their country. In short, you're talking to the wrong person.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top