Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2010, 09:41 AM

14,306 posts, read 13,317,510 times

Advertisements

From the article:

Temporary protected status is granted on occasion to foreign nationals whose home countries are experiencing an armed conflict or natural disaster. In this case, Napolitano said, the special status will last 18 months, and allow undocumented Haitians to get work permits and send much-needed dollars back home.

The United States, Napolitano said, may be home to as many as 200,000 illegal Haitian immigrants.

This week, the administration suspended deportations to Haiti, on the grounds that the country is too wrecked to accommodate repatriated citizens.

What I object to are them gaining work permits and running freely around our country. If they are getting work permits then they are taking jobs from Americans. I like my idea better of continued detainment of those in custody and on a jail/work program to help pay for their incarceration until the country stabilizes and they can be deported.

Note that Napolitano said there are approximately 200,000 Haitians living in our country illegally. 100,000 was first mentioned under this topic. I can only surmise that this is the number that are actually being held for deportation now and the rest haven't been caught yet.

Again, I don't think that the 100,000 being detained now and the other 100,000 not caught yet should be given work permits and take yet more American jobs. Allow them to stay and work under a jail/work program to only support themselves until the crisis is over. Of course as it was asked in here just how long would that be? 18months? Seems a bit long to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2010, 09:43 AM

14,306 posts, read 13,317,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayarcy View Post
<<Doing so will permit them to stay and work in the U.S. >>

Just where are they supposed to get all these jobs, or are they going to be eligible for unemployment? Just what we need. More people vying for jobds.

I relize they can't be sent back to Haiti now, but they should remain illegal. Just don't deport them at this time. I can almost guarantee you that at the end of the 12-18 months we'll be told "They've put down roots, and have families here, so we can't deport them now." I guess we'd better pray Mexico doen't have an earthquake.
That is my fear also and yes it would set a precidence for something like an earthquake in Mexico as an excuse to allow illegal aliens from there to remain here also.

Old 01-16-2010, 10:10 AM

3,536 posts, read 5,906,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DA-ahn View Post
The LA Times January 16,2010

This is a quote my friends;

"The day after an earthquake plunged Haiti into ruin and despair, the Obama administration suspended the deportation of Haitian illegal immigrants. This was sensible as well as compassionate, as Haiti obviously is in no position to repatriate 100,000 returning migrants. But halting deportations is not enough, so we applaud the administration's decision Friday to grant temporary protected status to Haitians. Doing so will permit them to stay and work in the U.S. for a limited period of 12 to 18 months..."

http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion/editorials/la-ed-haitians16-2010jan16,0,1452288.story

We are now going to be torn between our Laws and our hearts.

My heart goes out to those in Haiti, BUT I find this move by Our Government to be a disgusting push towards Amnesty.

The Haitians already here Illegally, were not affected to the extent of making them Citizens.

How does that help the people actually in Haiti?

It does not!!!!!!!
Are you Moderator cut: language serious? Are you really posting on how we not grant the Hatians this status after their entire nation collapsed? I know you (collectively...not personally) lack compassion and reason (on this issue), but this is sick.

How does it help? Well, people rely on the money sent from their relatives abroad. That's a direct form of aid. However you feel that they shouldn't be able to work here legally? Why?

Sorry for the emotional outburst, but it seems that people forgot that one of the worst disaters in recent history just happened in the poorest nation in North America.

Last edited by Yac; 01-18-2010 at 07:42 AM..

Old 01-16-2010, 10:18 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,219,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Childfree35 View Post
The Haitians already here Illegally, were not affected to the extent of making them Citizens.

How do you know who's here illegally?? Are you checking cards? Nope. When Clinton was prez who told the Haitians they couldn't come here. But, the border was open for everyone else. If we are gonna close the border, then close to EVERYONE!! I don't know what should happen. But, something should. Everyone, there are several races of people here illegally!! BTW, it's not only brown people.
Actually it is within every nations right to pick and choose who they allow to enter. We as a Nation really do need to raise our standards.
College education.
Money enough to support themselves for a minimum of 2 years.
A sponsor willing to take full responsibility for same.
All others need not apply.

Old 01-16-2010, 10:22 AM

119 posts, read 197,134 times
This is the perfect time to make those who cross our southern border illegally think twice.

Arrest 100000 illegal Mexicans and sentence them to 18 months hard labor rebuilding Haiti.

You could do this by the end of next week. Problem solved.

Old 01-16-2010, 10:39 AM

183 posts, read 242,812 times
grrrr okay. Im gonna repeat on this thread what I keep saying. WE HAVE NO JOB NOR MONEY to offer these people. Our jobs are already taken by temp work visas and illegals. Americans are fighting for a job as is, bring them here and the chances of an American holding a job will be way less than it is right now. Not to mention you bring them here unless you place tracking devices on them, they will be here for good. If the government is going to put in the effort to gather all of them 1 by 1 and send em back why dont they do that with the illegals and the ones here on temp visas as well? and then allow us to rebuild our own country to where it should be before we try to help any other country by bringing them here. What good would it be to bring someone here and offer help when you dont have help to offer. If were not digging the whole deeper were shoveling more sh** on this has to stop. The thing about allowing them to "Temporarily stay and work" is meaning they dont have to pay taxes. Just like the ones here on temp visas- from what Ive been told temp visas dont have to pay taxes. I could be wrong and if I am Im sorry. I beleive they dont tho cuz if they did they would actualy be contributing not just work to our country instead of soaking it all up.

Old 01-16-2010, 10:49 AM

Okay I have a question for you. Think this through seriously because Im sick of the "your heartless" crap. Im not heartless my heart goes out to them but we do not have the sources here for ourselves let alone them. Now heres my question. Since we bailed out all these countries and helped them when they needed it, since our economy is in shambles right now and we basically have a war going amongst ourselves just to survive and feed our families. What if- and I pray to God this doesnt happen- but what if something happens to us? What if we were to have a GIANT EARTHQUAKE? Or a big tsunami or hurricane. I mean much bigger than Katrina. What if something happened MOST of the U.S. Who the he** is gonna bail us out? who is going to allow us to come over there, pay our way there, and work and live long enough to send money home to help rebuild?!?!?!

Old 01-16-2010, 10:56 AM

2,930 posts, read 7,060,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommylee963 View Post
Okay I have a question for you. Think this through seriously because Im sick of the "your heartless" crap. Im not heartless my heart goes out to them but we do not have the sources here for ourselves let alone them. Now heres my question. Since we bailed out all these countries and helped them when they needed it, since our economy is in shambles right now and we basically have a war going amongst ourselves just to survive and feed our families. What if- and I pray to God this doesnt happen- but what if something happens to us? What if we were to have a GIANT EARTHQUAKE? Or a big tsunami or hurricane. I mean much bigger than Katrina. What if something happened MOST of the U.S. Who the he** is gonna bail us out? who is going to allow us to come over there, pay our way there, and work and live long enough to send money home to help rebuild?!?!?!
A serious answer here:

Get over yourselves and stop this "victim" mentality. OMG the US always helps everybody and nobody helps them? Really? Last time I checked Haiti is getting help from all over the world, even countries like Bolivia and China. When the USA had natural disasters we have also received international help.

Get over yourselves and your super hero/victim complex. I'm sick of it. I'm disgusted to say the least.

Old 01-16-2010, 11:08 AM

21 posts, read 26,564 times
First, Let us get this straight. O’Bama Has promised 100 million in aid.
That’s just the Cash. Add the Military Cost. Add the donations from the rest of America alone, maybe another 200 to 300 million. Now add the price of goods and services sent.
I am not admonishing this. This is America, and we are the best and largest givers of aid and assistance around the globe. I gave myself 1 hour ago $100.00 to the Red Cross. Did you give?

Where I have the problem is in giving work permits to illegals here!!

I understand we should stop deportation for this moment. There isn’t a viable country to send them to.

For the aid we are giving. There is NO reason to allow temp status for those here now.
To my knowledge this temp status does not apply to the victims of the earthquake. That doesn’t make sense.

This is the Administrations way of using this disaster to further their Pro-Illegal Agenda.

I am sorry, but we do not have an infinite amount of jobs and services here.
Why, do we think every American Citizen is all set financially or able to feed his/her family or has a Roof over their head. THIS IS A MYTH!

AMERICAN CITIZENS OF ALL ETHNICITIES FIRST!

Last edited by DA-ahn; 01-16-2010 at 11:12 AM.. Reason: Wrong font size.

Old 01-16-2010, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ♥♥PRINC3Ss♥♥ View Post
A serious answer here:

Get over yourselves and stop this "victim" mentality. OMG the US always helps everybody and nobody helps them? Really? Last time I checked Haiti is getting help from all over the world, even countries like Bolivia and China. When the USA had natural disasters we have also received international help.

Get over yourselves and your super hero/victim complex. I'm sick of it. I'm disgusted to say the least.

So are those other countries offering to let them come in and work and live and send money back home? Especially when they have nothing they can realy offer? Okay Ill tell you what your disgusted. I have a question for you. Will you give up YOUR house and YOUR job to them? If you tell me yes I know your lying. If you say no you should be disgusted with yourself. Unless of course you dont work and rely on others to take care of you. In which case you have no business voicing that we are selfish because you have nothing to sacrifice.

[quote=DA-ahn;12472944]First, Let us get this straight. O’Bama Has promised 100 million in aid.
That’s just the Cash. Add the Military Cost. Add the donations from the rest of America alone, maybe another 200 to 300 million. Now add the price of goods and services sent.
I am not admonishing this. This is America, and we are the best and largest givers of aid and assistance around the globe. I gave myself 1 hour ago $100.00 to the Red Cross. Did you give
Where I have the problem is in giving work permits to illegals here
I understand we should stop deportation for this moment. There isn’t a viable country to send them to.
For the aid we are giving. There is NO reason to allow temp status for those here now.
To my knowledge this temp status does not apply to the victims of the earthquake. That doesn’t make sense.This is the Administrations way of using this disaster to further their Pro-Illegal Agenda.
I am sorry, but we do not have an infinite amount of jobs and services Why, do we think every American Citizen is all set financially or able to feed his/her family or has a Roof over their head. THIS IS A MYTH
AMERICAN CITIZENS OF ALL ETHNICITIES FIRSTquote]

Yes my church has an organization going we can donate money clothes and food. I have donated and am signed up to go through medical training to help.
I agree no reason to allow it those already here. Theyve been here, not there they did not suffer this disaster.
Finally someone sees my arguement. we dont have jobs and services to offer. we are TRILLIONS OF DOLLARS IN DEBT with other countries and we have been supporting illegals and people coming in on temp work visas with no intention of becoming a citizen. It is hard as is for us to find jobs because business would rather go for cheap labor. Bring them here and everyone will lose their jobs. Thats not being selfish its being realistic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration