U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-17-2010, 12:48 PM
 
2,930 posts, read 6,031,514 times
Reputation: 1375

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post


Look, I am aware of the issue. But I think a lot of anger and angst comes from the fact that white Hispanics of any nationality are pigeonholed by non-Hispanics as "minorities," and treated as such. It is like having your identity stripped down and ignored because Americans are too stupid to understand that Hispanic is not a race. It's not desparation to be accepted, it's the need to not be considered something you are not. Just like Dominicans often do not want to be called African American.

Spaniards ARE white European, ya know. The "Gonzales" last name was originally a white name.

I don't think I would like it, and neither would you, who are obviously of mixed heritage and might have some more personal issues with the subject.


Funnily enough, Haitian immigrant groups often consider wetfoot/dryfoot to be "racist" because it allows "white Cubans" in, but not black Haitians.
It is desperation and it's really pathetic if you ask me.

Yes I am from a mixed background, but I'm whiter than most Cubans and many Anglos, so it's not like I couldn't "fake it" myself. Even my first name and last name are not typical hispanic. I just think it's really disgusting and pathetic that in this day and age those old school Cubans spent so much time trying to be accepted when at the end of the freaking day, everybody is gonna see them as a brown person. Because weather they like it or not, the average anglo doesn't have time to examine your family history, and most are not "ignorant" enough to do so.

Yes this country has a lot of issues, but the ignorance and racism that the old Cubans have brought it's something to be ashamed of. There is racism within anglos but it's not even 1% to what most Cubans have.

I have been in places like Mississippi, Alabama. TN and have never EVER seen so much racism like in Miami. Yes most of them are hardcore Christians but they don't go around talking about their skin color and how proud they are of not having any black or native american heritage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-17-2010, 01:44 PM
 
Location: Tha 6th Bourough
3,634 posts, read 4,859,543 times
Reputation: 1750
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days90 View Post
hum

Do as to others? What did I or we do to them again?

I sent my donation and we have done an enormous amount of things for them.

Why are they coming here? and not Mexico? South America? Canada?
Russia, China?

Why is it our job to take them in?

We simply cannot, like it or not.

i think u must misunderstand...they are not "coming" here...they are and have already been here....they are just granting them immunity for now until it is good to go back to thier country...and really i dont see alot going back because alot have been here this whole time working and living in the U.S. already....they are just saying that if they get caught here illegally that no one will be sent back at this time...so the problems we have now that are minimal compared to Haiti will go on as they have been recently....nothing new to worry about than you have already worried about the last few years
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-17-2010, 02:36 PM
 
Location: The Wine Country, CA
807 posts, read 1,117,511 times
Reputation: 302
As much as I have compassion for the poor folks in Haiti, this DOES open a whole new can of worms.. I'm betting that groups like the National Council of La Raza are licking their chops and going to use this as an "opportunity" to push their Amnesty agenda.. Not to mention the ramifications of the possible "discrimination" lawsuits as if the Illegal Haitians can be granted Temporary status, why not illegals from other countries? And the slippery slope begins..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-17-2010, 03:33 PM
 
Location: Lake Norman, North Carolina
1,213 posts, read 1,398,700 times
Reputation: 392
Quote:
Originally Posted by RazorRob305 View Post
i think u must misunderstand...they are not "coming" here...they are and have already been here....they are just granting them immunity for now until it is good to go back to thier country...and really i dont see alot going back because alot have been here this whole time working and living in the U.S. already....they are just saying that if they get caught here illegally that no one will be sent back at this time...so the problems we have now that are minimal compared to Haiti will go on as they have been recently....nothing new to worry about than you have already worried about the last few years
Yeah sure. The Haitians aren't coming here. How did those 200,000 illegal Haitians get here in the first place? Who's going to stop another 200,000 Haitians from breaking in? How about a million Haitians? The left wing amnesty democratic politician's farm program wants as many 3rd world poverty victim refugees that they can get to squander American taxpayer welfare dollars on to make the refugees welfare dependent future democratic voters. So you think that Nappy and Maobama are actually going to turn away waves of Haitian refugees?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-17-2010, 03:46 PM
 
8,743 posts, read 10,006,517 times
Reputation: 3384
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roguer View Post
Yeah sure. The Haitians aren't coming here. How did those 200,000 illegal Haitians get here in the first place? Who's going to stop another 200,000 Haitians from breaking in? How about a million Haitians? The left wing amnesty democratic politician's farm program wants as many 3rd world poverty victim refugees that they can get to squander American taxpayer welfare dollars on to make the refugees welfare dependent future democratic voters. So you think that Nappy and Maobama are actually going to turn away waves of Haitian refugees?
I am against illegal immigration passionately and must say I find your post DISGUSTING.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-17-2010, 04:22 PM
 
Location: Lake Norman, North Carolina
1,213 posts, read 1,398,700 times
Reputation: 392
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
I am against illegal immigration passionately and must say I find your post DISGUSTING.
Uh OK. Keep drinking the Maobama koolaid. And you obviously can't face the reality of what is an amnesty democratic politician.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-17-2010, 04:59 PM
 
Location: Tha 6th Bourough
3,634 posts, read 4,859,543 times
Reputation: 1750
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roguer View Post
Yeah sure. The Haitians aren't coming here. How did those 200,000 illegal Haitians get here in the first place? Who's going to stop another 200,000 Haitians from breaking in? How about a million Haitians? The left wing amnesty democratic politician's farm program wants as many 3rd world poverty victim refugees that they can get to squander American taxpayer welfare dollars on to make the refugees welfare dependent future democratic voters. So you think that Nappy and Maobama are actually going to turn away waves of Haitian refugees?
question..what nationality are you?....i am Italian / Irish American and for my ancestors they came from countries that werent as bad off as Haiti so there wasnt as much fear of being deported back so they came and did what they could legally to stay here...alot of Haitians are afraid of not gaining citizenship after going through the legal process and then being deported because of thier own personal situations in being aproved and because its so bad in Haiti and some are just waiting for the paperwork to go through ect...the 200,000 are not all the same and have the same obstacles of being a U.S. citizen...there are some real criminals and there are some real nice people that come here to work like your ancestors to be able to send money back home...there are many different Haitians

Last edited by RazorRob305; 01-17-2010 at 05:09 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-17-2010, 05:02 PM
 
17,283 posts, read 24,981,129 times
Reputation: 8525
Quote:
Originally Posted by ♥♥PRINC3Ss♥♥ View Post
It is desperation and it's really pathetic if you ask me.

Yes I am from a mixed background, but I'm whiter than most Cubans and many Anglos, so it's not like I couldn't "fake it" myself. Even my first name and last name are not typical hispanic. I just think it's really disgusting and pathetic that in this day and age those old school Cubans spent so much time trying to be accepted when at the end of the freaking day, everybody is gonna see them as a brown person. Because weather they like it or not, the average anglo doesn't have time to examine your family history, and most are not "ignorant" enough to do so.

Yes this country has a lot of issues, but the ignorance and racism that the old Cubans have brought it's something to be ashamed of. There is racism within anglos but it's not even 1% to what most Cubans have.

I have been in places like Mississippi, Alabama. TN and have never EVER seen so much racism like in Miami. Yes most of them are hardcore Christians but they don't go around talking about their skin color and how proud they are of not having any black or native american heritage.
Not saying there isn't racism in the Hispanic community. There is. But, I don't think it's desperation to not want to be called something you are not. Of course, you don't need to bring others down to demand that you be counted for what you are. I am half Portuguese, and many ignorant Americans consider that to be "non white".... it makes me very angry to have my identity stripped by idiots.

Ever call an African American a Haitian who wasn't a Haitian?! I had AA neighbors growing up in Florida, and it was an insult they lobbed at each other, "You're such a Haitian!"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-17-2010, 05:29 PM
 
1,150 posts, read 991,756 times
Reputation: 369
<<yeah thats right just drop em in the earthquake zone ...nice thinking and good heart you have ...your mom should be proud>>

No one is saying deport those here. Just don't make them legal. Let them retain their illegal status, and when Haiti is in better shape, deport them, but not righgt now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-18-2010, 05:38 AM
Yac
 
5,875 posts, read 6,297,498 times
What I'd like to see in this thread is people getting off their high horses, stop acting like they're morally superior and actually discuss. Open your minds for different ideas, maybe allow the thought that the other side might have a point or two. Discussion by definition requires an open mind, approaching the topic with the "I'm right, you're wrong and nothing is going to change it, even facts" attitude only leads to pointless fighting.
Call me naive but I still assume most people coming here come for solutions and ideas, not to vent and spit garbage at each other. Am I wrong ?
Yac.
__________________
Forum Rules
City-Data.com homepage
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top