U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2010, 03:43 PM

13,387 posts, read 16,207,047 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by that1guy View Post
Sadly, anti-illegal immigration/ anti-immigrant activists (since there is a good amount of overlap at times) tend to draw a number of racists.
Point out to us the "anti-immigrant" activists on this forum....

Old 01-19-2010, 04:02 PM

14,307 posts, read 11,152,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkfarnam View Post
Point out to us the "anti-immigrant" activists on this forum....
Tick, tock, tick tock. Yawn.

Old 01-19-2010, 08:30 PM

3,536 posts, read 5,078,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
IMO the pro-illegals are represented by far more ethnocentrics and racists than on the anti-illegal side. Far too many Hispanic citizens are onboard with amnesty just because of like ethnic kind. I don't see a whole lot of white or black people vying for amnesty for illegals who are racially like themselves.
This isn't meant to be mean, but you two are probably two of the last people on the board to be claiming lack of ethnocentrism.

As to anti-immigrant, Chinut has gone to state that we should limit the number of immigrants. Not to mention her statements (as well as AZBear, and Macmeal) concerning "3rd world mentality"...how immigrants from the 3rd world are not assimilating (despite evidence of the contrary) and how their cultural retention is destroying our nation. I'd say that this stance, while not explicit, is more implicit of being anti-immigration. Having these qualms is pretty much stating how much you dislike immigrants in general.

Old 01-19-2010, 08:46 PM

Isn't it funny how the pro-illegals still refer to illegal aliens as "immigrants" and twist our words to mean we are talking about legal immigrants when they know full well our remarks are about illegal aliens? They know not how to debate with honesty. I wonder why that is?

Old 01-19-2010, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Isn't it funny how the pro-illegals still refer to illegal aliens as "immigrants" and twist our words to mean we are talking about legal immigrants when they know full well our remarks are about illegal aliens? They know not how to debate with honesty. I wonder why that is?
There many times where you didn't stipulate and implied legal immigrants. Isn't funny how selective your memory is? Debating with honesty would mean doing more than presenting red herring arguments or ad hominen attacks. Good luck debating with "honesty"...

Old 01-20-2010, 06:16 AM

21,148 posts, read 36,628,664 times
Quote:
Correct: I almost always use the adjective 'illegal' when describing people not authorized to be in the USA-------------despite the denials of some illegal alien apologists.

Old 01-20-2010, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Correct: I almost always use the adjective 'illegal' when describing people not authorized to be in the USA-------------despite the denials of some illegal alien apologists.
So do I unless I am speaking of some "real" immigrants here that aren't assimilating. Then I just refer to them as just "immigrants" or legals. Illegal aliens aren't immigrants IMO so I don't refer to them as such. Now I get accused of ad hominum attacks by someone I haven't even replied to in weeks. We'll see about that.

Pro-illegals usually blur the line between legal and illegal and that is just a fact not an ad hominum attack. It doesn't make for an honest debate as I said.

As for limiting legal immigration, we already do that and for good reasons. Going along with that concept makes one "anti-immigrant"? I have no problem with legal immigration as long as it is in the best interests of our country and keeps in mind population growth and our ability to sustain them.

Last edited by chicagonut; 01-20-2010 at 07:24 AM..

Old 01-20-2010, 08:19 AM

So do I unless I am speaking of some "real" immigrants here that aren't assimilating. Then I just refer to them as just "immigrants" or legals. Illegal aliens aren't immigrants IMO so I don't refer to them as such. Now I get accused of ad hominum attacks by someone I haven't even replied to in weeks. We'll see about that.

Well, you do. You've acknowledged me by responding to my points. You do realize that right? Just like you do now in this passive manner. Which is actually better since your emotionality is toned down and less personal attacks.

Also, if you read the rest of the post I stated the low immigration argument you have made several times as well. You know, the horribly flawed Malthus argument that you really don't understand but love so much.

You can stop lying and admit the truth. I'm just as guilty of ad hominen attacks.

Pro-illegals usually blur the line between legal and illegal and that is just a fact not an ad hominum attack. It doesn't make for an honest debate as I said.

Again, the irony is that YOU are lying. It's bizarre and there is no real reason to lie at this juncture.

As for limiting legal immigration, we already do that and for good reasons. Going along with that concept makes one "anti-immigrant"? I have no problem with legal immigration as long as it is in the best interests of our country and keeps in mind population growth and our ability to sustain them.

Ah, the Malthusian argument. The one you have a tenious grasp on. The one you where if one pokes a logical hole in the argument you circumvent said hole and have attacked posters personally.

I love the selective memory and the whole selective immigration style. The low immigrant argument is more a means to curtail "undesirables". This is highly subjective and be very damaging. So yeah, there is something wrong with this mentality. To you, a poor African immigrant without a college education doesn't "deserve" to come here...while a more affluent immigrant does. It's not really fair. The bias can be very damaging to those that want to better their lives, but have limited means.

Old 01-20-2010, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
No, instead you have the inherent criminality of Mexicans...in general. You've also stated that those from all over the third world have the same trait.

Old 01-20-2010, 09:22 AM

21,148 posts, read 36,628,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by that1guy View Post
No, instead you have the inherent criminality of Mexicans...in general. You've also stated that those from all over the third world have the same trait.
Comment noted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration