U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2010, 03:32 AM

2,381 posts, read 4,409,314 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LZKay1 View Post
Oh please.

http://pix.motivatedphotos.com/2009/...hotblondes.jpg

If women who looked like that flooded the country, no one in the country would complain. No one. In fact, many would see it as desirable.
I wouldnt say that. I was having a conversation with a friend of mine of Irish descent. Her family as well as many other families were descriminated because back then, the illegals were Irish. She agrees that illegal immigration is something that will not go away and there will always be an ethnic group that will be descriminated due to that reason.

We all know that there are xenophobes. The whole issue of illegal immigration is not based on that. A lot of it is misinformation, some support deportation due to its legality and some due to unemployment rates.

Old 01-18-2010, 03:42 AM

744 posts, read 1,048,638 times
I agree with the majority of the posts that say it has nothing to do with color of the skin, it has to with laws. They came here illegally and for me that makes them criminals. I know I could not just go into the UK, squat and demand services, even though I look just like them. Their government has a backbone and allows the laws to be enforced. If an illegal is here and doing honest work and paying taxes I still say get them the heck out and let them apply to come back legally. America was a melting pot but no longer and we need to correct this before it is to late.

Old 01-18-2010, 07:34 AM

22,868 posts, read 64,904,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opyelie View Post
Isn't Sweden where we got the whole buffet/smorgasbord idea from ?
Yes,it is.
But we would only force you to eat meatballs,not lutfisk.

Old 01-18-2010, 07:53 AM

14,307 posts, read 11,146,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zacatecana View Post
I wouldnt say that. I was having a conversation with a friend of mine of Irish descent. Her family as well as many other families were descriminated because back then, the illegals were Irish. She agrees that illegal immigration is something that will not go away and there will always be an ethnic group that will be descriminated due to that reason.

We all know that there are xenophobes. The whole issue of illegal immigration is not based on that. A lot of it is misinformation, some support deportation due to its legality and some due to unemployment rates.
I don't recall a point in our history where "back then" the illegals were mostly Irish. Do you have a link to this historical time in our history? Of course illegal immigration will probably never go away entirely but then again we haven't done much to deter it either and that is why we anti-illegals are fed up. This has nothing to do with discrimination against a particular group but discrimination against all foreign invaders who have not abided by our immigration laws. Most anti-illegals object to illegal immigration based on many valid factors.

Old 01-18-2010, 07:56 AM

Quote:
You mean if the immigrants were easy on the eyes, would people complain about them being here? I don't think so. In fact, most Americans would probably want to mix with them.

The fact basically all illegal Mexicans look dirty, have jet black hair and brown eyes, does not help Americans disliking them. Humans are visual creatures. People don't want to see ugly things.
What an odd statement to make. I don't find Mexicans repulsive to look at. As a matter of fact I envy the color of their skin. There are many beautiful Mexican and other Latina women liviing among us. This has to do with the laws of our country, nothing else.

Old 01-18-2010, 07:57 AM

47,576 posts, read 58,699,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShesBlessed View Post
Swedish, with blond hair and blue eyes? Would we really be having all this uproar? Probably not....
I think if millions of Swedes were coming here illegally, stealing social security numbers to use, popping out babies on the taxpayer dime demanding they be rewarded for breaking out laws, there would be the same outrage.

It comes down to the fact that yes, we want some immigration but immigration must be orderly and far, and it therefore it must be legal. We don't need all immigration to be from just one ethnicity, not Swede, not any.

Old 01-18-2010, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zacatecana View Post

If they came here illegally, then they too should be deported, but if they came through Ellis Island, then it's not likely they were illegal.

Even your other country has immigration laws, it's hard to find one nation that has no immigration laws and that would reward people for breaking them. Mexico also deports people who are there illegally, and unlike the USA, Mexico protects jobs for it's citizens.

Old 01-18-2010, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Oh please.

http://pix.motivatedphotos.com/2009/...hotblondes.jpg

If women who looked like that flooded the country, no one in the country would complain. No one. In fact, many would see it as desirable.
Why do you use women as an example? There are probably more men here illegally than women. Me thinks there is an ulterior motive with these kinds of remarks. I know someone who has lost his construction job due to illegal alien cheap labor. I doubt that he cares what skin color or hair and eye color they had. He still lost his job.

Old 01-18-2010, 08:10 AM

17,279 posts, read 24,961,305 times
Quote:
So people with white skin are not illegal? But people with Brown skin are....I see
You kinda have a hard time keeping up with discussions, don't you?

Old 01-18-2010, 08:16 AM

Quote:
So people with white skin are not illegal? But people with Brown skin are....I see
No one said that. People who respect our laws, fill out the paperwork, wait their turn are legal, people who chose to believe they are above the laws, don't choose to follow laws, decide they will jump ahead of those abiding by the laws are illegal.

The USA takes in FAR more legal immigrants than does any other nation on earth. Billions of people want to come here but billions of people cannot come here, unemployment rates of Americans is already sky high, jobs are being sent out of the country - and still legal immigration rates are very high.

There must be an orderly, fair process for immigration. Immigrants should come from a variety of countries, not just one. Immigrants should be selected from those wanting to come who have the most to contribute and a willingness to adapt and assimilate, those who have made an effort to learn the language should be given preference, those with job skills who can support themselves without food stamps and medicaid should be given preference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration