U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2010, 10:23 AM

15,179 posts, read 15,809,199 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zacatecana View Post
You dont have to post the letter. I read her request on line too and I remember feeling upset and disgusted with the letter and with her too. My perception of her has changed since then. I did a formal complaint and with all honesty, I dont think she should is the right person to be leading the NCLR.

Maybe she doesnt know anyone who is in the country illegally or is trying to come legally from an African country. I do. I know that if it is difficult from for someone from an Asian country or from Latin American, it is twice or three times more difficult for someone from Africa. So, when I read the letter, I was in shock and disbelief. I feel the same toward Gutierrez who belonged to the other La Raza (RUP), a very racist organization, imo.

However, we both know people on both sides that are xenophobes. There are people who have stated they want "Mexicans removed to replace Haitians". That is an ethnically motivated statement. We should not be removing any specific ethnicity to replace anyone. The most compassionate thing to do at this time is just support our Haitian community that is already here...period.

So there are xenophobes on both sides...That doesnt stop us from supporting what we believe is right. I confess that I dont always like everything that is proposed on the pro side or every action I see on this side. It doesnt matter who presented the proposal to the senate, I will still support it or I will support what I like about it.

I am very happy that our government made the decision to activate TPS status for Haitians. TPS however, has been part of our policy for a number of years. Immigration Reform is something completely different and needs to be viewed as such. People who think TPS for Haitians will speed up the process for Immigration Reform, I would say are wrong. I dont think it will be a fast speed to legalization, at all.

The drug war is not an excuse. I personally have not heard an illegal immigrant stating they will not return because of the drug violence. I suppose there are people making such claims. However, I assume that their only means of communication is what they see and hear on TV and radio news. Those of us that have been to Mexico a number of times, know the truth. This past year, different members of my family, including myself, visited Mexico at least six times. This year I will be going in March and have family and friends that will visit as well in the next couple of months. We feel safe just. Its a matter of being safe...being at the wrong time and wrong place is not being safe at all. Most of the violence happens at the border and it is almost always among people who are involved in the drug trade. So if I hear such comments, I would say, they simply are misinformed people. Our government will not buy that excuse either.
Thank you for your honest response. While I realize people are capable of changing, I do not believe Janet Murguia has. She exposed herself as a racist and ethnocentric in that letter, and I am repulsed whenever I see her feigning support for blacks, or coalescing with black organizations under the guise of “unity” and civil rights. She and her organization are exploiting black groups such as the NAACP and the Urban League to further their agenda. She has no desire for unity. If her objectives are met, she will distance herself from them, for they will no longer serve a purpose. Sadly, they are falling for her ruse hook, line, and sinker.

I agree with your assessment of both Murguia and Gutierrez. Quite frankly, I am sickened by the mere sight of both, and quickly turn the channel when I see them on TV. I consider them as vile as the former slave traders, because I believe they are peddling Hispanic illegal aliens, and only perceive them as a group to be marketed for monetary and personal gain. Unfortunately, they are both considered Hispanic “leaders” and are revered by most Hispanics, both citizens and illegals.

I am one who suggested the deportation of equal numbers of Mexicans. The Haitians are truly in need; whereas, Mexican illegals are only here for higher pay and our generous freebies. If our government decides to accept hundreds of thousands of Haitians, I am not advocating going door-to-door seeking Mexican illegals. However, I do believe we should deport those currently being housed in detention centers to accommodate the refugees. We do not have infinite resources, and I would prefer our tax dollars be used to help the Haitians, rather than continue to support massive numbers of Mexicans in this country illegally. I assure you, my feelings are not motivated by my shared African ancestry. I would feel the same had this tragedy occurred in Guatemala.

I do not support the deportation of Haitians. However, TPS status is seldom temporary. Why can’t we simply halt those deportations until some semblance of stability has been restored in Haiti? Of course any children born here will automatically receive U.S. citizenship; which will make it virtually impossible for any Haitians protected by TPS to ever leave.

Old 01-18-2010, 10:48 AM

706 posts, read 796,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Thank you for your honest response. While I realize people are capable of changing, I do not believe Janet Murguia has. She exposed herself as a racist and ethnocentric in that letter, and I am repulsed whenever I see her feigning support for blacks, or coalescing with black organizations under the guise of “unity” and civil rights. She and her organization are exploiting black groups such as the NAACP and the Urban League to further their agenda. She has no desire for unity. If her objectives are met, she will distance herself from them, for they will no longer serve a purpose. Sadly, they are falling for her ruse hook, line, and sinker.

I agree with your assessment of both Murguia and Gutierrez. Quite frankly, I am sickened by the mere sight of both, and quickly turn the channel when I see them on TV. I consider them as vile as the former slave traders, because I believe they are peddling Hispanic illegal aliens, and only perceive them as a group to be marketed for monetary and personal gain. Unfortunately, they are both considered Hispanic “leaders” and are revered by most Hispanics, both citizens and illegals.

I am one who suggested the deportation of equal numbers of Mexicans. The Haitians are truly in need; whereas, Mexican illegals are only here for higher pay and our generous freebies. If our government decides to accept hundreds of thousands of Haitians, I am not advocating going door-to-door seeking Mexican illegals. However, I do believe we should deport those currently being housed in detention centers to accommodate the refugees. We do not have infinite resources, and I would prefer our tax dollars be used to help the Haitians, rather than continue to support massive numbers of Mexicans in this country illegally. I assure you, my feelings are not motivated by my shared African ancestry. I would feel the same had this tragedy occurred in Guatemala.

I do not support the deportation of Haitians. However, TPS status is seldom temporary. Why can’t we simply halt those deportations until some semblance of stability has been restored in Haiti? Of course any children born here will automatically receive U.S. citizenship; which will make it virtually impossible for any Haitians protected by TPS to ever leave.

It is exchanges such as this that reminds me of the level of discussion we (as a group) are capable of reaching.

Benicar and Zacatecana.....thanks to both of You for raising the level of discussion . It will (hopefully) serve as a reminder to me as to how to present my arguements on the forum. Of course, sometimes I get impacted by a post and react negatively...so ,no promises...

Regards and respects to both of You.

BL

Old 01-18-2010, 10:50 AM

15,179 posts, read 15,809,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by borderlord View Post
It is exchanges such as this that reminds me of the level of discussion we (as a group) are capable of reaching.

Benicar and Zacatecana.....thanks to both of You for raising the level of discussion . It will (hopefully) serve as a reminder to me as to how to present my arguements on the forum. Of course, sometimes I get impacted by a post and react negatively...so ,no promises...

Regards and respects to both of You.

BL
Thanks!

Old 01-18-2010, 12:05 PM

230 posts, read 451,084 times
Comparing Mexicans to Swedes is comparing apples to oranges. Sweden is on the other side of Earth. Furthermore I don't think Swedes will work as hard as a Mexican, also like most people in Europe they will say with impunity how much they hate Americans.

My friends went to Sweden, got mugged, and when they went to the police they were completely useless and they said openly, "we don't help Americans here."

Old 01-18-2010, 12:08 PM

6,011 posts, read 6,726,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShesBlessed View Post
Swedish, with blond hair and blue eyes? Would we really be having all this uproar? Probably not....
yeah. esp if they were not assimilating, waving swedish flags everywhere and being cocky

Old 01-18-2010, 12:09 PM

6,011 posts, read 6,726,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 808s View Post
My friends went to Sweden, got mugged, and when they went to the police they were completely useless and they said openly, "we don't help Americans here."
lol wow

Old 01-18-2010, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by city414 View Post
lol wow
You may find that incident to be funny but it's sad that anti-Americanism can be most common in the very countries that the United States considers to be friends. It's not just the Middle East that hates America.

Old 01-18-2010, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by city414 View Post
yeah. esp if they were not assimilating, waving swedish flags everywhere and being cocky
At least that isn't as bad as them coming into this country and openly saying how much they hate Americans.

Mexicans on the other hand may be cocky, non-assimilating, and proud but if you ask them if they hate American they will say no.

Old 01-18-2010, 12:34 PM

10,543 posts, read 11,680,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShesBlessed View Post
Swedish, with blond hair and blue eyes? Would we really be having all this uproar? Probably not....

Like this?

Moderator cut: image removed

Get over it; it's not a race issue. The illegal aliens break the law and cost our citizens money and jobs. People of all colors become naturalized citizens across this country without protest.

Last edited by picmod; 01-10-2014 at 12:45 PM..

Old 01-18-2010, 12:44 PM

22,868 posts, read 64,904,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 808s View Post
Comparing Mexicans to Swedes is comparing apples to oranges. Sweden is on the other side of Earth. Furthermore I don't think Swedes will work as hard as a Mexican, also like most people in Europe they will say with impunity how much they hate Americans.

That doesn't mean all swedish police officers are idiots.
There are no widespread hatred towards americans in this country.
Most people here like the US.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration