U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2010, 03:20 PM

963 posts, read 1,371,400 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkfarnam View Post
Who said anything about Latino's? A good portion of the blame goes to Illegal Immigrants.
Your just trying to play the race card............it won't work.
Race card, what are you talking about? I was responding to post where someone had disagreed about the illegal immigrants wanting to learn English and saying why are signs in both English and Spanish, when other immigrants didn't deal with that. I responded by saying business choose to have bilingual signs to attract the growing Latino community (be it legal or illegal) and if he/she had a problem with, to write their representative to get a law pass prohibiting businesses from doing this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2010, 03:51 PM

1,150 posts, read 990,683 times
<<Can you provide a link to prove that there are large numbers of people starving in Mexico? I've never heard of this problem on any TV news report or in any news source online.>>

I've never heard of that either. As a matter of fact, a TV reporter interviewed some illegal immigrants from Mexico a couple of years ago, and most of those interviewed said they had jobs in Mexico, but quit and came here because they could make more money. Many of them said they sent money home to build houses in Mexico so they could return there one day.

It would seem that many of them have no desire to assimilate, or contribute to this country, but are only here for their own personal benefit. The desire to return to Mexico in the future would also seem to negate the idea that life is a terrible hardship there. No doubt more money will give them a better life, but then who among us wouldn't have a better life with a bit more money? That doesn't give us the right to take illegally from someone else though.

Old 01-17-2010, 04:04 PM

963 posts, read 1,371,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
We can't let everyone in now, because of the economy? Who says so? We could if we wanted to !..we could all just live in tents and carry water in buckets. We could walk instead of drive. Plenty of very wealthy people pay GOOD MONEY to 'camp out'. We could all just have a sort of 'National Camp Out'. Might not be fun...but we COULD do it, if we wanted to.

Bring in Sudanese? So what do we tell the Mexicans and Central Americans? "You guys need to wait a few years....it's the Sudanese' turn now"? I mean ,we COULD say that..it may not sound nice, but we could. On the other hand, perhaps we could just let in the 'traditional' illegals, PLUS the 'new guys'. There's room in North Dakota...right?

Missing out on the next Bill Gates? There MAY be a potential Bill Gates even now, I agree, living in a hut in the Third World....and if he comes here, we could use him, I agree. But what about the next Saddam Hussein...or the next Adolf Hitler..the next Timothy McVeigh...or the next Idi Amin? How do we let in Bill Gates, while keeping THOSE guys out?

No disrespect intended..you sound like a nice person; these are just a few questions that your post prompted in my mind.:
I understand where you are coming from, but I'm trying to look at it from their point of view.

Who said we would be living in tents if we got more entrepreneurs.

Well we have in the past, with certain nationalities. They do today to some point for immigration.

Old 01-17-2010, 04:10 PM

1,150 posts, read 990,683 times
<<Many business choose to display signs in Spanish to attract the growing Latino community.>>

It's not just businesses. Do your voting materials come printed in Spanish? Ours do. I've heard that some teachers in Texas, and some police officers in California, were told to learn Spanish, or risk losing their jobs. Did you know that many places in California you can't get a job if you don't speak Spanish? As someone pointed out, this courtesy isn't extended to other nationalities, or ethnic groups, only Hispanics simply because they are the majority of the illegal population. It does seem counterproductive that we should go out of our way to accomodate illegal aliens, while legal immigrants who speak other languages, are forced to learn English if they want to prosper.

Old 01-17-2010, 06:30 PM

14,307 posts, read 11,144,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayarcy View Post
<<Many business choose to display signs in Spanish to attract the growing Latino community.>>

It's not just businesses. Do your voting materials come printed in Spanish? Ours do. I've heard that some teachers in Texas, and some police officers in California, were told to learn Spanish, or risk losing their jobs. Did you know that many places in California you can't get a job if you don't speak Spanish? As someone pointed out, this courtesy isn't extended to other nationalities, or ethnic groups, only Hispanics simply because they are the majority of the illegal population. It does seem counterproductive that we should go out of our way to accomodate illegal aliens, while legal immigrants who speak other languages, are forced to learn English if they want to prosper.
Amen!

Old 01-18-2010, 09:01 AM

47,576 posts, read 58,699,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by e2ksj3 View Post
I rarely venture into this form, since it seems more hostile than the main Political and Other Controversies forum, lol, but I was watching a comedy show on HBO the other week. There was a latino comedian, (I can't remember who it was), but he had interesting take on illegal immigration. He was basically saying the founders were pretty much "illegal immigrants" of their and basically left their country's in Europe to escape hardships and oppressive gov't.

Technically there were no laws against immigration at the time, but I kind of see his point. Just like the illegal immigrants, they left their country of origins, due to oppressive governments and economic hardships and came here. They didn't sign any paper work. People argue that illegal immigrants take jobs and use our resources (in the form of public services), but the original settlers, slaughtered and took land resources from the natives.

I'm not advocating amnesty, but I think people need to stop being so arrogant and look at it from a different perspective than your own sometimes. Do we need immigration reform? Yes and that means doing a total overall of the system. I have friends who live in Europe who would love to immigrate here, but have to wait because the process is so long and costly. I don't think it's fair that a family from Mexico can come here illegal and work, while they have to wait, but at the same time I can understand why. I don't think most people have a clue how long the immigration process is. If it's a choice between earning more money to feed your family or waiting for the process and starving in the mean time while your application is considered, what would you choose?
Well the lines are long because while the USA takes in by far the most legal immigrants of any country, there are many who want to come here -- in spite of very high unemployment rates in much of the country.

With unemployment over 10% in many parts of the country, one has to question how fair it is that employers can still bring in immigrants and ignore the pile of American applications and resumes. But yes, yes, we all realize that massive immigration is mainly about bringing wages down.

The other question about feeding your family, in this day you have to ask why someone chose to have a family they could not support. Sure the 8 or 9 kids need to eat, and they'll eat great if you can make it to the USA with them and they'll have more food than they could have imagined with American food stamps and free school lunches but what happened to personal responsibility such as completing your education and finding a job BEFORE you decided to have all those kids?

Old 01-18-2010, 09:04 AM

47,576 posts, read 58,699,632 times
Quote:
I understand where you are coming from, but I'm trying to look at it from their point of view.

Who said we would be living in tents if we got more entrepreneurs.

Well we have in the past, with certain nationalities. They do today to some point for immigration.
Legal immigration - as high as it is, should bring us whatever entrepreneurs we might need but many of the entrepreneurs coming open businesses that hire no Americans at all, but exist only to bring in extended family members.

The problem in part is that immigrants today can be very ethnocentric and you don't see Americans working in their businesses, only "their own kind", which of course benefits us not at all.

Old 01-23-2010, 03:52 PM

185 posts, read 325,271 times
Move to southern california and you will know why illegal immigrants are going to be the ruin of America. Every single job is taking by an illegal Mexican who cannot speak english. Look at the prison population. Over half of the inmates are illegals. Just wait till it spreads to your state and town. You may have a few there now, but..like in southern california, you'll soon be the minority. I get made fun of all the time for speaking english and being white...in America..my own neighborhood. It's just disgusting.

Old 01-23-2010, 04:19 PM

13,387 posts, read 16,200,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtimebanjo View Post
Move to southern california and you will know why illegal immigrants are going to be the ruin of America. Every single job is taking by an illegal Mexican who cannot speak english. Look at the prison population. Over half of the inmates are illegals. Just wait till it spreads to your state and town. You may have a few there now, but..like in southern california, you'll soon be the minority. I get made fun of all the time for speaking english and being white...in America..my own neighborhood. It's just disgusting.
EXACTLY!
I just moved from SOCal for those exact reason!
Here in Oklahoma it's the exact opposite.

Old 01-23-2010, 04:32 PM

119 posts, read 170,873 times
Quote:
He isn't, but what makes me or you (if you were born here naturally) more deserving than either of them? We just lucked up. Again I'm not saying have an open border, but I don't see a problem with immigration if they are contributing as a whole to our country and the process was streamlined more.

What makes Paris Hilton more deserving of having tons of money? She just lucked into being born into a rich family and also having a great body.

Why can't I have that money? I don't see a problem with taking it from her as she doesn't need it all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or