U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-31-2010, 04:05 PM
 
1,807 posts, read 2,791,090 times
Reputation: 1228

Advertisements

a lot of people who are against illegal immigration often go into rants about how much they hate hearing spanish and how people of whatever foreign country look/dress/act/talk differently than they do (i.e not "assimilating" to their liking)
the most important reasons to be against illegal immigration are: 1. its illegal. 2. the financial costs to the country.
everything else is irrelevant.

with this said, people like to forget (or maybe they don't know) that the people they've elected to government have basically destroyed whatever economy many of these countries had in the first place, leaving their country in ruins with desperate people who have no choice but to come here for a better chance at life. Just take Nicaragua as an example. Look up how long the United States has been "intervening" in their affairs. Nicaragua is a sovereign nation, and the US set up military operations in their country, invasions, bombings.. some assistant to the secretary of defense under reagan said "we want to help these countries regress the years of poverty... but we certaintly dont see the solution in letting them become a country under communist rule." (paraphrased) emphasis on "Letting"...
under the guise of "fighting for democracy" they set up banana republics(as in Honduras' case), often with a US backed, pro-US "government" in which US corporations can go and take over the local economies, exploiting workers and impoverishing the population while earning a lot of money for stakeholders back home.
so then you have a wave of poor people from these countries and you're asking "wth why dont they stay there fix your own country go home criminals. omg spanish."..
then you see a country like Costa Rica which to my knowledge dont have many of its citizens risking their lives to get here like people from Mexico, Honduras, Nicaragua etc.. ask yourself why its this way.. check the effects the u.s has had in nicaragua vs in costa rica. and you get a sense of the reasons why people are doing what they're doing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-31-2010, 04:14 PM
 
Location: ...at a 3AM epiphany
2,206 posts, read 2,138,154 times
Reputation: 453
Quote:
Originally Posted by expect View Post
a lot of people who are against illegal immigration often go into rants about how much they hate hearing spanish and how people of whatever foreign country look/dress/act/talk differently than they do (i.e not "assimilating" to their liking)
the most important reasons to be against illegal immigration are: 1. its illegal. 2. the financial costs to the country.
everything else is irrelevant.

with this said, people like to forget (or maybe they don't know) that the people they've elected to government have basically destroyed whatever economy many of these countries had in the first place, leaving their country in ruins with desperate people who have no choice but to come here for a better chance at life. Just take Nicaragua as an example. Look up how long the United States has been "intervening" in their affairs. Nicaragua is a sovereign nation, and the US set up military operations in their country, invasions, bombings.. some assistant to the secretary of defense under reagan said "we want to help these countries regress the years of poverty... but we certaintly dont see the solution in letting them become a country under communist rule." (paraphrased) emphasis on "Letting"...
under the guise of "fighting for democracy" they set up banana republics(as in Honduras' case), often with a US backed, pro-US "government" in which US corporations can go and take over the local economies, exploiting workers and impoverishing the population while earning a lot of money for stakeholders back home.
so then you have a wave of poor people from these countries and you're asking "wth why dont they stay there fix your own country go home criminals. omg spanish."..
then you see a country like Costa Rica which to my knowledge dont have many of its citizens risking their lives to get here like people from Mexico, Honduras, Nicaragua etc.. ask yourself why its this way.. check the effects the u.s has had in nicaragua vs in costa rica. and you get a sense of the reasons why people are doing what they're doing.
WHY do you ALWAYS rant about things that are not really on topic? Illegal Aliens are CRIMINALS to THIS United States. Period. MOST AMERICANS are ranting and raving about the COST these CRIMINALS are taxing on the average American citizen. So how in the world would anyone DARE to say they have it "rough" or to sympathize with criminals that cost this nation NOW.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-31-2010, 04:19 PM
 
1,807 posts, read 2,791,090 times
Reputation: 1228
yes the actions the government has taken that led to mass illegal immigration have nothing to do with illegal immigration.
you're absolutely right.
or IF you PREFER: yes YOU are ABSOLUTELY right
lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-31-2010, 04:22 PM
 
Location: ...at a 3AM epiphany
2,206 posts, read 2,138,154 times
Reputation: 453
No need to be insulting....It's just that I always see you try and twist a topic. This is about the victimization of illegals in this country. They are not victims, the citizens of the United States ARE.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-31-2010, 04:29 PM
 
1,807 posts, read 2,791,090 times
Reputation: 1228
Moderator cut: please get back on topic
you say they are not victims, i'm telling you that there is a reason they're here illegally, and it is because of what the US government has done to their countries. you can't provide a counter argument or refute what i say (which happens in a debate) so you complain about me being off topic n what not. if you have something that refutes what i said, then by all means. if not, then pretend i didn't type it and go about your day like u didnt read it.
i'm not excusing them nor am i advocating illegal activity, which you more than likely assume i am, because im not here "ranting and raving" like you are. odds are you dont know anything about what i posted in my previous post, which explains why you'd say it doesnt relate to illegal immigration

Last edited by Yac; 02-01-2010 at 05:25 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-31-2010, 04:39 PM
 
8,973 posts, read 14,617,384 times
Reputation: 2983
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbartlebee View Post
Since all people have color, saying "people of color" is the same as saying "all people".
All human beings belong to one or more ethnic groups, too...yet we continually hear references to "ethnic cuisine".."ethnic neighborhoods"...."ethnic music", etc.

Go figure.....(sigh)....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-31-2010, 04:49 PM
 
8,973 posts, read 14,617,384 times
Reputation: 2983
Quote:
Originally Posted by expect View Post
a lot of people who are against illegal immigration often go into rants about how much they hate hearing spanish and how people of whatever foreign country look/dress/act/talk differently than they do (i.e not "assimilating" to their liking)
.
This is true...however, I think you'll find that not only do "a lot of people" think this way....the majority of people all over the WORLD think this way. I don't think it's anything peculiar to US society..it's just that US society sets loftier goals for itself than most other countries. I think you'll find that all over the world, people will tell you that 'those who aren't from here are 'different'; they're not like us'. That's pretty much a human trait. It's accepted in most of the world, though here, we try our best to deny it.

Want to hear something funny? My own spouse is pretty much racially identical to MOST of today's illegals...you know, the ones we're mad at, because they're 'different'?. But even she, on occasion, gets frustrated by what's going on in society, and will make a remark about "those illegals (the ones who 'look just like her)"...because they're 'different'....and they 'don't act like us'.

It's human nature. It occurs all over the world. Might as well get used to it. At least, here in the US, we can admit it and discuss it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-31-2010, 05:04 PM
 
1,807 posts, read 2,791,090 times
Reputation: 1228
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
This is true...however, I think you'll find that not only do "a lot of people" think this way....the majority of people all over the WORLD think this way. I don't think it's anything peculiar to US society..it's just that US society sets loftier goals for itself than most other countries. I think you'll find that all over the world, people will tell you that 'those who aren't from here are 'different'; they're not like us'. That's pretty much a human trait. It's accepted in most of the world, though here, we try our best to deny it.

Want to hear something funny? My own spouse is pretty much racially identical to MOST of today's illegals...you know, the ones we're mad at, because they're 'different'?. But even she, on occasion, gets frustrated by what's going on in society, and will make a remark about "those illegals (the ones who 'look just like her)"...because they're 'different'....and they 'don't act like us'.

It's human nature. It occurs all over the world. Might as well get used to it. At least, here in the US, we can admit it and discuss it.
i agree; and i didnt say it was something exclusive to the US. japan is a lot more extreme, in fact they are very openly hostile towards immigrants from anywhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-31-2010, 05:11 PM
 
8,973 posts, read 14,617,384 times
Reputation: 2983
Quote:
Originally Posted by expect View Post
i agree; and i didnt say it was something exclusive to the US. japan is a lot more extreme, in fact they are very openly hostile towards immigrants from anywhere.
Exactly. So how would MOST societies deal with the arrival of millions of illegals? No one knows, because MOST societies don't have millions of illegals; many don't even have millions of LEGAL immigrants; many societies have absolutely ZERO interest in 'tolerance' or multiculturalism, and some are quite openly xenophobic, and proud of it!

So are we here in the US being 'hard' on illegals? Good question!...compared to where, exactly?....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-31-2010, 05:15 PM
 
Location: ...at a 3AM epiphany
2,206 posts, read 2,138,154 times
Reputation: 453
LOL!!!! So true. And you know, sad. i DO believe they have been falsely informed. The maid here exclaimed to me "You are rich!" I looked at her like she was a nut. No, not rich, I have a mortgage, car and education. I'm poor! So too bad they are too ignorant to check it out first. They will slump home with their lips pouted soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top