U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-19-2010, 12:30 AM
 
2,381 posts, read 4,412,046 times
Reputation: 475

Advertisements

I like this quote right here...
I lived it myself..California is nothing without agriculture and its immigrants.

Quote:
Take agriculture, where much of the labor force is illegal, as farming leaders have acknowledged. According to the California Department of Food and Agriculture, the state’s 88,000 farms and ranches make up a nearly $37 billion industry that also generates at least $100 billion in related economic activity.
As someone who grew up in the farmland of California’s Central Valley, let me explain what “related economic activity” means. When a farmer does well (perhaps with the help of illegal immigrant labor), he might buy a new truck. The salesman who earns a commission might use it to pay the tuition for his child’s preschool. The headmaster of that school might get a raise and go buy groceries. The money flows in circles.
From the same source on the OP.

Quote:
“I think it’s very important that we always correct (misinformation) and talk about how the reality works,” Schwarzenegger said. “Because when you get asked, ‘Isn’t it the illegal immigrants who caused this budget problem and this budget mess and why we have a $24 billion budget crisis?’ ... you’ve got to go and tell people, ‘That is not so.’ ”
Its all politics. As the author mentions, Arnold had stipulated that California was a charity state and it gives federal tax money never returns to the state. So he wants to stop paying federal taxes.

Now, he wants to piggyback ride on "the cost of illegal immigration" to get some kind of refund for the services it supposedly is a drain on the state.

Yeah right, like I believe that... he sure is desperate to close that budget gap. This is all a result of bad financial management, nothing more.

He has tried everything. The supreme court has already ruled that the furloughs on the state he mandated were unlawful. He wanted to continue the furlough system another...I dont know how many months and the supreme court has also stopped that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-19-2010, 06:11 AM
 
Location: Mesa, Az
21,148 posts, read 36,637,375 times
Reputation: 3785
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexus View Post
In order to get elected, he toned down is stance against illegal immigration. Now that he's on the way out, he has taken the gloves off. The bottom line is that he was no better than Davis. Predictable since he was not qualified to hold the office to begin with. Just a former steroid using bodybuilder and actor.

Shame on the people of this state for allowing this grunt into office. He has been ineffective.
Perhaps not.

For the reasons you stated; Arnold's legacy may be remembered for going after illegal aliens and their enablers with a vengeance.

As I have opined on many times in the past: when California turns against the above-----------it will be sudden and severe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-19-2010, 06:13 AM
 
Location: Mesa, Az
21,148 posts, read 36,637,375 times
Reputation: 3785
Quote:
Originally Posted by zacatecana View Post
I like this quote right here...
I lived it myself..California is nothing without agriculture and its immigrants.



From the same source on the OP.



Its all politics. As the author mentions, Arnold had stipulated that California was a charity state and it gives federal tax money never returns to the state. So he wants to stop paying federal taxes.

Now, he wants to piggyback ride on "the cost of illegal immigration" to get some kind of refund for the services it supposedly is a drain on the state.

Yeah right, like I believe that... he sure is desperate to close that budget gap. This is all a result of bad financial management, nothing more.

He has tried everything. The supreme court has already ruled that the furloughs on the state he mandated were unlawful. He wanted to continue the furlough system another...I dont know how many months and the supreme court has also stopped that.
In this severe recession: the above ag jobs would be snapped up by Americans quite quickly IMHO-----------especially if the farmers were forced to pay legal wages.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-19-2010, 09:19 AM
 
Location: Lake Norman, North Carolina
1,213 posts, read 1,398,451 times
Reputation: 392
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slig View Post
I'm just telling you what pretty much every Mexican has told me. Nobody likes him there.
So tribally ethnocentric Mexicans who are only interested in what they can get for their ethnic kind don't like Ahnod because of what? They weren't blatantly hispandered to by Ahnod like they are used to from amnesty democratic politicians? Because Ahnod didn't kiss enough hispanic azz?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-19-2010, 09:46 AM
 
14,307 posts, read 11,156,126 times
Reputation: 2130
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
In this severe recession: the above ag jobs would be snapped up by Americans quite quickly IMHO-----------especially if the farmers were forced to pay legal wages.
Even if many Americans weren't willing to do farm work because it doesn't pay a liveable wage unlimited temporary visas were available for legal immigrant farm workers for the farmers. Why didn't they choose to use them? It is because it was cheaper to hire illegal aliens, that's why. It had nothing to do with any real shortages of legitimate laborers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-19-2010, 09:50 AM
 
14,307 posts, read 11,156,126 times
Reputation: 2130
Quote:
Originally Posted by zacatecana View Post
Sling is right. Legal or Illegal immigrants...neither ever liked him.

I for one, did not vote for him either time. I voted for Cruz Bustamante but many were afraid that he would raise our car insurances. Bustamante in my opinion had more experience than Arnold and had been working at the Capitol for some time.
Hispanics probably didn't vote for him because he is a Republican. Most Hispanics and other minorties vote Democrat. Not to mention that Bustamonte is a fellow Hispanic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-19-2010, 10:21 AM
 
Location: OCEAN BREEZES AND VIEWS SAN CLEMENTE
19,899 posts, read 15,298,472 times
Reputation: 6451
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roguer View Post
So tribally ethnocentric Mexicans who are only interested in what they can get for their ethnic kind don't like Ahnod because of what? They weren't blatantly hispandered to by Ahnod like they are used to from amnesty democratic politicians? Because Ahnod didn't kiss enough hispanic azz?


You know you do have a point there. If your not kissing up to them, well you know the saying?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-19-2010, 02:16 PM
 
Location: Lake Norman, North Carolina
1,213 posts, read 1,398,451 times
Reputation: 392
Quote:
Originally Posted by california-jewel View Post
You know you do have a point there. If your not kissing up to them, well you know the saying?
Well, I'd like to hear you say it though. Also I misspoke. Ahnod apparently didn't kiss enough hispanic ahzz?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-24-2010, 04:34 PM
 
332 posts, read 548,932 times
Reputation: 184
First Arnold said that Hispanics need to stop watching so much Univision and Telemundo and start learning how to speak English. Now he says that illegal immigrants are a financial burden on California. It is always great when a guy shoots from the hip and is not politically correct.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-24-2010, 04:46 PM
 
332 posts, read 548,932 times
Reputation: 184
Quote:
Bustamante in my opinion had more experience than Arnold and had been working at the Capitol for some time.
Is that why you voted for Obama, because he had so much "experience"

It is funny that you only use the experience arguement when it suits you.

Last edited by Golem1979; 03-24-2010 at 04:57 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top