U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2010, 04:16 PM

8,180 posts, read 11,035,044 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakland City View Post
What? Illegal immigrants are US citizens?
Just clarified it for you. And no, they are not citizens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2010, 04:18 PM

8,180 posts, read 11,035,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by that1guy View Post
Did I say that (in bold)? Don't extrapolate things that aren't there. Keep things in context.

Dr. King was concerned with the larger picture of global parity.
Since when does global parity equate no immigration laws? Dr King would have supported these illegals for fighting for their rights in their countries of origin -- NOT for the rights of citizens in a country that they are in illegally. Especially since they are adversely effecting the black community.

Old 01-18-2010, 04:20 PM

15,179 posts, read 15,809,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
You mean a borderless world? Nations should no longer have sovreignity? Maybe we should have planes on standby in every city in every country in the entire world to bring whomever would like to come? No background checks, no reasonable idea if they can support themselves or not. Is that the US you envision? Or is the immigration free for all only for certain folks?

Also, Dr King really was more concerned about black Americans not being allowed an education, not being allowed to vote then he ever would have been about illegal immigrants working under the table.
Absolutely! He would not condone the rampant lawlessness, the theft of services, or any of the IA criminal behavior.

Old 01-18-2010, 04:23 PM

3,855 posts, read 4,085,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoEdible View Post

It really makes NO SENSE when you think about: illegal immigrants from Mexico and places like Guatemala attempting to piggy back on Black American history and struggle. They are the most crafty and sneaky people.
Its hard to live up to what Dr. King wished us to be..."I have a dream that one day this nation will rise up and live out the true meaning of its creed: “We hold these truths to be self-evident: that all men are created equal.”

Old 01-18-2010, 04:25 PM

3,536 posts, read 5,076,921 times
Quote:
Since when does global parity equate no immigration laws? Dr King would have supported these illegals for fighting for their rights in their countries of origin -- NOT for the rights of citizens in a country that they are in illegally. Especially since they are adversely effecting the black community.
Did I say no immigration laws?

Old 01-18-2010, 04:25 PM

14,307 posts, read 11,146,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
That’s what boils my blood. The Civil Rights Movement is being hijacked by ethnocentric amnesty advocates. As you stated, there is no comparison; and it is an absolute affront to the memory of all who fought and died for this just cause.

Obviously, Jesse Jackson has no shame. His alignment with the likes of Louis Gutierrez speaks volumes.
Jesse Jackson is nothing but a race hustler trying to remain in the limelight.

Old 01-18-2010, 04:26 PM

3,536 posts, read 5,076,921 times
It's funny because I stated fair reform, thus immigration laws. Dr. King would want a fair and balanced answer. Not based on extremist ethnocentrist beliefs.

Old 01-18-2010, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1751texan View Post
Its hard to live up to what Dr. King wished us to be..."I have a dream that one day this nation will rise up and live out the true meaning of its creed: “We hold these truths to be self-evident: that all men are created equal.”
Yes, all men ARE created equal. However, that does not entitle one to enter a country illegally, and violate the laws of that land. There is no inherent right to live in any country one wishes.

Old 01-18-2010, 04:57 PM

Quote:
If anything, Dr. King would coordinate massive marches protesting our governments’ refusal to enforce our immigration laws. Yes, he would most definitely support the poor blacks nationwide who have been disproportionately displaced by massive illegal immigration. I’m sure the folks in Harlem would seek his help, and they would get it. We all know he lost his life while supporting the striking sanitation workers in Memphis. Why would anyone believe he wouldn’t feel compelled to help the citizens of this country against an insidious foreign presence?

Pro-illegals can twist it anyway they choose, but he would NOT support illegal aliens, particularly to the detriment of his own. And, by “his own” I mean legal citizens of this country. It would be counterproductive, to say the least.

Old 01-19-2010, 01:09 AM

2,381 posts, read 4,409,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
If anything, Dr. King would coordinate massive marches protesting our governments’ refusal to enforce our immigration laws. Yes, he would most definitely support the poor blacks nationwide who have been disproportionately displaced by massive illegal immigration. I’m sure the folks in Harlem would seek his help, and they would get it. We all know he lost his life while supporting the striking sanitation workers in Memphis. Why would anyone believe he wouldn’t feel compelled to help the citizens of this country against an insidious foreign presence?

Pro-illegals can twist it anyway they choose, but he would NOT support illegal aliens, particularly to the detriment of his own. And, by “his own” I mean legal citizens of this country. It would be counterproductive, to say the least.
I dont think we can say for sure what he would or would not support.

What I can say is that he wanted equality for all irrespective of skin color. I dont think his work was strictly for the US...it transcended to other nations. People really looked up to him all over the world. I agree that this was globally. After apartheid in S.A., I remember hearing Correta King talk about how she wished her husband would have been alive to witness it.

With that, I am not saying that immigration laws are the same as the civil rights movement but we cannot say that his words of wisdom and philosophy were only limited to US citizens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration