U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2010, 12:37 PM

15,179 posts, read 15,831,384 times

Advertisements

No Jesse, Dr. King’s fight was NOT for “immigration reform.” He fought for equality for citizens of this country.

Quote:
With zeal befitting a church where the Rev. Martin Luther King Jr. once preached, Rep. Luis Gutierrez told 1,200 people jammed into First Baptist Congregational Church on the West Side on Saturday that America can no longer put meaningful immigration reform on hold.

The Rev. Jesse Jackson invoked the memory of King -- whose birthday is being commemorated Monday -- in calling for a change in immigration policy.

"His fight was about immigration reform," Jackson said. "It was about one set of rules" for all people.

And Jackson, like several others who spoke, highlighted the plight of the people of Haiti in the aftermath of the earthquake there.
Immigration rally invokes Martin Luther King Jr. :: CHICAGO SUN-TIMES :: News (http://www.suntimes.com/news/1995399,CST-NWS-immig17.article - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2010, 01:11 PM

13,069 posts, read 21,205,087 times
Historical revisionism?

Old 01-18-2010, 01:12 PM

1,150 posts, read 992,320 times
I think a refresher course in history would do Jesse Jackson some good. He could start by watching a program I watched last night about Emmet Till, Medger Evers, the three civil rights workers killed, Dr, King, the three little girls in the church, and others. There's absolutely no comparison between the illegal aliens' situation, and those people in Selma, and Birmingham. To suggest there is does a grievous injustice to those blacks, and some white, who gave their lives so that others might live with the rights, freedoms, and dignity they have every right to expect from their country. I haven't seen any illegal aliens required to sit in the back of the bus, or use separate drinking fountains, and restrooms. I don't know of anyplace they're not selcome to sit at a counter to eat. I can only assume Jesse Jackson is trying to drum up recruits for his Rainbow Coalition.

Old 01-18-2010, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayarcy View Post
I think a refresher course in history would do Jesse Jackson some good. He could start by watching a program I watched last night about Emmet Till, Medger Evers, the three civil rights workers killed, Dr, King, the three little girls in the church, and others. There's absolutely no comparison between the illegal aliens' situation, and those people in Selma, and Birmingham. To suggest there is does a grievous injustice to those blacks, and some white, who gave their lives so that others might live with the rights, freedoms, and dignity they have every right to expect from their country. I haven't seen any illegal aliens required to sit in the back of the bus, or use separate drinking fountains, and restrooms. I don't know of anyplace they're not selcome to sit at a counter to eat. I can only assume Jesse Jackson is trying to drum up recruits for his Rainbow Coalition.
That’s what boils my blood. The Civil Rights Movement is being hijacked by ethnocentric amnesty advocates. As you stated, there is no comparison; and it is an absolute affront to the memory of all who fought and died for this just cause.

Obviously, Jesse Jackson has no shame. His alignment with the likes of Louis Gutierrez speaks volumes.

Old 01-18-2010, 04:12 PM

3,951 posts, read 3,588,924 times
This really bothers me as a proud Black American. I get sick to my stomach when I see people try to compare what black people in the US went through to illegal immigrants. First of all, Mexicans, Guatemalans and other Central Americans give two you-know-whats about black people. Like I've said before, Mexico is a country that openly aires television shows that depict black people as dumb monkeys as comedy skits. In the cities that have large numbers of Mexicans or Central Americans, they aren't in good relations with black people. So, to see these groups try to use Black American history makes me so angry and I need to start doing what I can to make sure that no other group attempts to pimp our history to their advantage.

As far as Jesse Jackson, He would know better than to promote amnesty for millions of people from Mexico and Guatemala. I know he is The Rainbow Coalition, but poor and unskilled illegal immigrants are the main competition with young black people and many black adults for jobs and housing. Any black leader that attempts to promote amnesty for millions of Mexicans and Guatemalans knowing how they take jobs from the LEGAL Black Americans is a fool and should not speak for black people.

It really makes NO SENSE when you think about: illegal immigrants from Mexico and places like Guatemala attempting to piggy back on Black American history and struggle. They are the most crafty and sneaky people.

I'm going to vomit at the next group I see that tries to use my ancestors struggle in the US as legal citizens as their talking points.

Old 01-18-2010, 04:18 PM

3,951 posts, read 3,588,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
That’s what boils my blood. The Civil Rights Movement is being hijacked by ethnocentric amnesty advocates. As you stated, there is no comparison; and it is an absolute affront to the memory of all who fought and died for this just cause.

Obviously, Jesse Jackson has no shame. His alignment with the likes of Louis Gutierrez speaks volumes.
Yea and as a black person, I am not going to just sit back and say nothing to my fellow black people and the groups that do this. It's a slap in our face and very disrespectful. We were/are legal citizens of this country,they are illegal immigrants.

Old 01-18-2010, 04:37 PM

3,855 posts, read 4,092,365 times
  1. Quote:
    Originally Posted by SoEdible View Post
    This really bothers me as a proud Black American. I get sick to my stomach when I see people try to compare what black people in the US went through to illegal immigrants. First of all, Mexicans, Guatemalans and other Central Americans give two you-know-whats about black people. Like I've said before, Mexico is a country that openly aires television shows that depict black people as dumb monkeys as comedy skits. In the cities that have large numbers of Mexicans or Central Americans, they aren't in good relations with black people. So, to see these groups try to use Black American history makes me so angry and I need to start doing what I can to make sure that no other group attempts to pimp our history to their advantage.
Quote:
As far as Jesse Jackson, He would know better than to promote amnesty for millions of people from Mexico and Guatemala. I know he is The Rainbow Coalition, but poor and unskilled illegal immigrants are the main competition with young black people and many black adults for jobs and housing. Any black leader that attempts to promote amnesty for millions of Mexicans and Guatemalans knowing how they take jobs from the LEGAL Black Americans is a fool and should not speak for black people.

It really makes NO SENSE when you think about: illegal immigrants from Mexico and places like Guatemala attempting to piggy back on Black American history and struggle. They are the most crafty and sneaky people.

I'm going to vomit at the next group I see that tries to use my ancestors struggle in the US as legal citizens as their talking points.
From WOAI new in San Antonio Tx...

SAN ANTONIO — Tens of thousands of San Antonio residents, some holding portraits of the Rev. Martin Luther King Jr. and banners proclaiming "We believe," marched in honor of the slain civil rights leader Monday.
San Antonio Mayor Julian Castro and Democratic gubernatorial candidate Bill White joined the 23rd annual march — one of the nation's largest honoring King. The marchers included university students, and members of church and civic groups. No crowd estimate was immediately available. An estimated 100,000 people joined the march last year.

San Antonio has an African-american population of about 15%...yetr for the past 10 years of 23, We have numbered 100,000 + marchers for the MLK day parade.

Im glad I live in a city that Honors Dr. King and understands that Civil Rights belong to all races...

Old 01-18-2010, 04:46 PM

8,180 posts, read 11,046,800 times
Civil rights belong to all US citizens --- illegal immigrants are not citizens. And the US is not alone is not conferring citizen rights on illegals -- all countries do that including the countries these illegals immigrated from.

Last edited by camping!; 01-18-2010 at 05:15 PM.. Reason: clarifying.

Old 01-18-2010, 04:48 PM

8,180 posts, read 11,046,800 times
Quote:

Understandable....but remember, these are the same people that have tried to tie illegal immigration to the Holocaust, and also have used the argument that they are Native Americans like the Lakota and deserve that recognition. Illegal immigration supporters and apologists will try anything to legitimize their position.

Old 01-18-2010, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1751texan View Post
[list=1][*]

From WOAI new in San Antonio Tx...

SAN ANTONIO — Tens of thousands of San Antonio residents, some holding portraits of the Rev. Martin Luther King Jr. and banners proclaiming "We believe," marched in honor of the slain civil rights leader Monday.
San Antonio Mayor Julian Castro and Democratic gubernatorial candidate Bill White joined the 23rd annual march — one of the nation's largest honoring King. The marchers included university students, and members of church and civic groups. No crowd estimate was immediately available. An estimated 100,000 people joined the march last year.

San Antonio has an African-american population of about 15%...yetr for the past 10 years of 23, We have numbered 100,000 + marchers for the MLK day parade.

Im glad I live in a city that Honors Dr. King and understands that Civil Rights belong to all races...

No one has even remotely implied that all races are not entitled to “civil rights.” Our objection is the comparison of the black plight to that of illegal aliens. Illegal immigration is not a civil rights issue.

If I break into your house and I am arrested, have my civil rights been denied? Or, am I receiving an appropriate response to my decision to violate the law?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration