U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-20-2010, 11:14 AM
 
Location: Mesa, Az
21,148 posts, read 36,611,035 times
Reputation: 3785

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latino & Proud View Post
Uh? HAve you looked at population estimates by the department of labor? Unless the swine flu develops a much strongerstrain for 62 or older, that ain't happening my friend. And whatever my parent are baby boomers and they are getting their social security and Medicare. People just whine too much
Unlike Mexico: we still have something called a 'can-do attitude'; we will be fine. And as I stated in the past: if we need additional unskilled help; we can cherry pick whom we wish to let into the USA legally.

Frankly: anymore I would prefer to see our mostly Hispanic alien losers here booted out in favor of Haitians for the reason listed in my previous post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-20-2010, 11:19 AM
 
Location: Maryland
15,179 posts, read 15,807,269 times
Reputation: 3028
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latino & Proud View Post
sorry but the vets I know are not competing for low paying jobs with illegals. Thank you for serving our country but I think it's time you make better career choices, talk to vets assistance, relocate cause you are really an exception to the rule.
Apparently, you arenít aware of the HUGE number of homeless and destitute veterans in our country. Itís a national disgrace.

Quote:
"Veterans represent one out of every four homeless Americans. An estimated 200,000 U.S. veterans are homeless. The reasons include poverty, a lack of affordable housing, mental illness and drug addiction. Almost half of the nation's homeless veterans suffer from mental illness, which often makes it more difficult for them to receive help. For information on the Department of Veterans Affairs' effort to help homeless veterans, visit the VA's Homeless Veterans website." Homeless Veterans Home
Seattle Could See an Increase in Homeless Veterans

Quote:
At long last, Congress has received a budget request that will help to expand health care to more than 500,000 veterans. We face the very real prospect of more and more of our veterans facing economic hardships and losing access to medical care and this is a critical investment in meeting their needs. There are too many uninsured veterans who need medical care and cannot afford it and I am extremely pleased that President Obama is committed to restoring health care eligibility for our veterans.
National Coalition for Homeless Veterans - President Obama Seeks 15% Increase in VA Funding (http://www.nchv.org/news_article.cfm?id=497 - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-20-2010, 11:54 AM
 
3,536 posts, read 5,076,327 times
Reputation: 822
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Apparently, you arenít aware of the HUGE number of homeless and destitute veterans in our country. Itís a national disgrace.


Seattle Could See an Increase in Homeless Veterans


National Coalition for Homeless Veterans - President Obama Seeks 15% Increase in VA Funding (http://www.nchv.org/news_article.cfm?id=497 - broken link)
It is a national disgrace. Which, in turn, is linked (along with illegal immigration) to the whole disparity of wealth. The vehement anti-illegal attitude serves nothing more to divide those that need to be united. Obviously we need legal means and borders...nobody is advocating an open border system. However, we a need a system that addresses the poor of our nation...regardless of legality. It's the same "trick" used to justify slavery (poor whites fearful of "illegal" blacks taking over jobs). This fear mongering tactic served to protect the interests of those in charge...and will continue to do so unless we change and demand a system that doesn't exploit illegal immigrants and the rest of our nation. A system that decreases illegal immigration, while not lacking compassion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-20-2010, 12:55 PM
 
Location: Pa
20,310 posts, read 18,878,727 times
Reputation: 6517
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latino & Proud View Post
sorry but the vets I know are not competing for low paying jobs with illegals. Thank you for serving our country but I think it's time you make better career choices, talk to vets assistance, relocate cause you are really an exception to the rule.
Better career choices? I make an 80 G a year. Why would I change that?
I worked multiple jobs because unlike illegals I didn't feel entitled.
I know a lot of vets who did the same as I until a better job came along.
Thats the transition phase after leaving the service. Its quite common.
Lets see. so far you claim that you have never seen illegals on construction sights.
You don't know any vets who ever worked low end jobs.
Oh and we need to relocate so that illegals can have what few jobs remain in dead end towns.
What should illegals need to do? Be patient and wait for the job we some how owe them?
Don't thank me for my service. I find it insulting after reading your posts.
Don't invite me to be a friend. For the same reason as above.
Do you want to thank a vet? Don't hire illegals and don't support their criminal behavior.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-20-2010, 01:03 PM
 
Location: Indiana
183 posts, read 204,923 times
Reputation: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by that1guy View Post
First off, it won't affect jobs. Secondly, you want to restrict their movement? Geez...
First off if you dont keep them in 1 place and tell them to go blend in with us YEA it does affect our jobs as we dont have enough already. And again I state- Can you honestly tell me your are willing to give YOUR job to them? Are you willing to give up YOUR home and YOUR lifestyle for them? If you say yes I know you are lying. Let them loose and your job will be effected to. I fight to keep what I have every day and I will not give it up for them. I have my kids to think about and support, you may not. You may be so well off and have such a secure job that you have no worries and if that be the case you are selfish because that decision does not affect you but those of us that have to fight and keep what we have every day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
The thing is that this disaster affected nearly the entire country. Where would we draw the line on how many to import to our country? Surely you don't think we can accomodate them all. Better to help them with resources to rebuild their country there and life sustaining supplies.
Thank you very well said

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
NO. I didn't go to college. I was wearing the uniform of my country instead. Wounded in battle several times and served with honor from day 1 to my last day.
When I got out I worked low end jobs often as many as 3 at any time. I had a baby to pay for and my pride does not permit me to accept gov assistance. You see I believe that I made that baby I better pay for it.
We don't need illegals. There are quite a few vets like me as well as non-vets that need those jobs. Deserve those jobs. Not 1 illegal deserves a job in this country nor has any right to a job in this country.
I applaud you thank you for serving us and Im sorry that all your efforts are overlooked now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Dakar View Post
I know hundreds of undocumented immigrants, some intimately. I work with them daily in my profession and they are just as human as anyone else. I second your sentiments, Slig. I have yet to meet a single undocumented immigrant who fits the description that Benicar gives.

Back to the subject:

I am in the process of packing to leave for Haiti. Instead of the self-centered sentiments that some have espoused on this board, I am willing to realize how good we have it in America; instead of trying to make people believe that I am suffering, while being able to afford internet access and a computer. Some people should think before they have the nerve to post certain things.
I am one of these poor Americans that your comment is directed at. My computer comes from college. So does the internet access. I am a working mother, my husband works full time and does online college part time. I work part time and go to school full time and my homework has to be done online. My school grant money that was left over paid for it. So you should be careful when wording your comments. I dont care if you people beleive me, I know who I am and what we have to go through every day. You dont know me or what I deal with so you cant judge me based off of opinions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
FYI: the cold reality is that many of us Baby Boomers will not be able to retire as it is (too many of us still alive although we are dropping off in droves) --------which negates the putative 'need' for illegal aliens.

As for Haitians: anymore, better them here illegally than anybody else since there is no Haiti for many to return to.
It seems you didnt get the point accross. The reason they cant retire is because the money that THEY worked hard for and put back for retirement and was used up on support and embracing illegals and their families. Our country is trillions of dollars in debt as is. We dont have the sources or the money to fund anymore illegals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-20-2010, 01:05 PM
 
Location: Pa
20,310 posts, read 18,878,727 times
Reputation: 6517
Quote:
Originally Posted by that1guy View Post
It is a national disgrace. Which, in turn, is linked (along with illegal immigration) to the whole disparity of wealth. The vehement anti-illegal attitude serves nothing more to divide those that need to be united. Obviously we need legal means and borders...nobody is advocating an open border system. However, we a need a system that addresses the poor of our nation...regardless of legality. It's the same "trick" used to justify slavery (poor whites fearful of "illegal" blacks taking over jobs). This fear mongering tactic served to protect the interests of those in charge...and will continue to do so unless we change and demand a system that doesn't exploit illegal immigrants and the rest of our nation. A system that decreases illegal immigration, while not lacking compassion.
It is a national disgrace. That our elected reps have more empathy for haitians than our own Vets. That our elected reps waste time and struggle with deporting illegals but don't seem to care about our own vets many of whom have bled for their country. Many of whomwant nothing more than a second chance.
1guy I like you I really do. I respect that you try to help disabled children.
But please don't compare the plight of our lost vets to that of criminals who have sacrificed nothing for this nation. They take and take and take.
A list of soldiers who died at my side for their Nation.
I will use their call signs. The families deserve privacy/
Anvil (black american) Multiple gunshots wounds to the chest. My best friend.
Dart (Latino) Explosive concussion. Turned his insides to gel.
Ripper (White) Fragmentation and explosive concussion. Always quiet but man when he talked it was funny.
These 3 died on the same field of battle.
Please do not compare the plight of the illegal to these men of honor, to the plight of those who came home broken.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-20-2010, 01:09 PM
 
Location: Maryland
15,179 posts, read 15,807,269 times
Reputation: 3028
Quote:
Originally Posted by that1guy View Post
It is a national disgrace. Which, in turn, is linked (along with illegal immigration) to the whole disparity of wealth. The vehement anti-illegal attitude serves nothing more to divide those that need to be united. Obviously we need legal means and borders...nobody is advocating an open border system. However, we a need a system that addresses the poor of our nation...regardless of legality. It's the same "trick" used to justify slavery (poor whites fearful of "illegal" blacks taking over jobs). This fear mongering tactic served to protect the interests of those in charge...and will continue to do so unless we change and demand a system that doesn't exploit illegal immigrants and the rest of our nation. A system that decreases illegal immigration, while not lacking compassion.
When will you accept the fact that illegal aliens are NOT citizens? Thus, we have no obligation to include them in whatever ďunificationĒ our country may need. Furthermore, I have no desire whatsoever to become united with illegal aliens. They can seek "unity" in their countries of origin. Nor will I entertain the thought of a compromise with foreign invaders. They need to return home.

There you go again, comparing ďslavesĒ or black citizens to illegal aliens. Yes, many poor whites resented the employment of freed slaves. However, the freed slaves were entitled to gainful employment; illegal aliens are not. Apples and oranges.

Perhaps we need a sticky: Illegal Aliens Are NOT Citizens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-20-2010, 01:39 PM
 
14,307 posts, read 11,144,640 times
Reputation: 2130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latino & Proud View Post
and they still are but many choose not to work now days, people cAn afford to go to college without the need for a side job and concentrate on getting better grades. Did you work and go to college at the same time? I did and it's probably the only decision I regret in my life. I should have requested a loan instead of falling asleep in my car For sleeping only 2 hours at night and getting lower grades because I didn't have time to study

as for the Asians whaterver, say that to anybody that works in the high tech field Medical field? What a joke! Americans and and second generation immigrants should be doing those jobs, it's not like being chinese gives you a physical advantage. Let them be doctors nurses computer programmers in their own countires and stop stealing our high paying jobS. We don't need them unless we aspire to be their waiters and cashiers in the future
No foreigner should be allowed to steal American jobs. That includes skilled and unskilled. If there is a proven need in any of two these catagories because of a shortage of American workers at a fair rate of pay then I don't have a problem importing LEGAL foreign workers for those jobs.

Last edited by chicagonut; 01-20-2010 at 02:02 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-20-2010, 01:41 PM
 
Location: Maryland
15,179 posts, read 15,807,269 times
Reputation: 3028
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
It is a national disgrace. That our elected reps have more empathy for haitians than our own Vets. That our elected reps waste time and struggle with deporting illegals but don't seem to care about our own vets many of whom have bled for their country. Many of whomwant nothing more than a second chance.
1guy I like you I really do. I respect that you try to help disabled children.
But please don't compare the plight of our lost vets to that of criminals who have sacrificed nothing for this nation. They take and take and take.
A list of soldiers who died at my side for their Nation.
I will use their call signs. The families deserve privacy/
Anvil (black american) Multiple gunshots wounds to the chest. My best friend.
Dart (Latino) Explosive concussion. Turned his insides to gel.
Ripper (White) Fragmentation and explosive concussion. Always quiet but man when he talked it was funny.
These 3 died on the same field of battle.
Please do not compare the plight of the illegal to these men of honor, to the plight of those who came home broken.
I canít thank you enough for your service and sacrifice for this country. Your friends did not die in vain, because we will fight until the bitter end to protect our country from foreign invaders. It truly sickens me that pro-illegals are so desperate for amnesty that they would disrespect our brave soldiers, or attempt to marginalize the plight of many vets who are struggling to survive in this country. Itís appalling, to say the least.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-20-2010, 02:01 PM
 
14,307 posts, read 11,144,640 times
Reputation: 2130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
I can’t thank you enough for your service and sacrifice for this country. Your friends did not die in vain, because we will fight until the bitter end to protect our country from foreign invaders. It truly sickens me that pro-illegals are so desperate for amnesty that they would disrespect our brave soldiers, or attempt to marginalize the plight of many vets who are struggling to survive in this country. It’s appalling, to say the least.
Ditto from me, tinman. There is a special place reserved for you and the rest of our dedicated and brave military men in the after life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top