U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2010, 08:07 PM

20,310 posts, read 18,956,936 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommylee963 View Post
It sucks we cant help them more than we are now. I wouldnt mind them blending in with us if we didnt have the problem we have today. If they nipped this crap in the bud from the beginning wed have the jobs and resources to help them more. In times of natural disaster we cant do what we do best because of the illegals already here.
The real question is: After we help them will they help themselves and become a better nation?
If history is any indicator then the future looks bleak.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2010, 08:21 PM

3,855 posts, read 4,099,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by XodoX View Post
I supposed you're Mexican-American? Well no, they are not. Don't know the exact numbers, but how many of the illegals are from Mexico? 80%?
When you have so many illegals form Mexico, then what does it say about Mexicans in general? Does not help the image. Looks like Mexicans have less of a problem breaking the law. I don't really care about this anyway. Don't care where they are from. Couldn't care less.... it's still the same issue.
I wonder how many Mexicans OKed the flights of orhanded kids...How many Mexicans do you think signed off on all the medical patiens comming...How many said Aye to the prisons the're fixing up here for Haitian criminals...and the thousands of refugees that will be comming in the next few months...

Damn Mexicans...There they go again.

Old 01-20-2010, 08:25 PM

20,310 posts, read 18,956,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1751texan View Post
I wonder how many Mexicans OKed the flights of orhanded kids...How many Mexicans do you think signed off on all the medical patiens comming...How many said Aye to the prisons the're fixing up here for Haitian criminals...and the thousands of refugees that will be comming in the next few months...

Hmmm worried that someone else is getting something that mexicans feel only they are entitled too?

Old 01-20-2010, 08:31 PM

3,855 posts, read 4,099,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Hmmm worried that someone else is getting something that mexicans feel only they are entitled too?
Im petty and foolish, but not that far gone...

do you understand tounge in cheek

Old 01-20-2010, 08:54 PM

183 posts, read 205,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
The real question is: After we help them will they help themselves and become a better nation?
If history is any indicator then the future looks bleak.

Your guess is as good as mine at this point the only thing we can do is sit back and hope and pray for a better outcome for us all.

Old 01-21-2010, 12:23 AM

21,148 posts, read 36,711,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1751texan View Post

Better Haitians right now than Mexican nationals here illegally receiving help from the USA.

Old 01-21-2010, 01:08 AM

247 posts, read 328,458 times
It's better to help the Haitians rebuild in their own country. They've already been displaced enough, adding adaptation to a new culture/country on top of that, would be very hard for them. We have lots of skilled labor here that could probably go there and help them to rebuild.

These people didn't ask for the disaster there. That's the important thing to remember. When natural disaster strikes in the massive amount such as in Haiti, all countries should be ready to help. We are all human beings, and should help whenever possible.

Bringing more people to the US is not the answer. We have too many illegal immigrants here currently, and many countrymen of our own. Our natural resources of food, water, and energy supplies cannot withstand being stretched anymore than they already are without causing further hardship to our own people.

If the economic situation were different, it'd be a different story -- bringing those folks here would be fine. As many VETs return from war with no place to live, no help from anyone, and many folks have lost their homes in the real estate crisis and have had to take to living in the streets -- we as a nation have an obligation to help our own citizens FIRST.

There is an old adage that applies very well here: Charity begins at home.

To expect any LEGAL American to forfeit their job, home, or hard earned money to provide employment, residence, and income to those that sneak across our borders illegally (which is a CRIME), while we have many LEGAL Americans that are hungry, homeless and unemployed is simply unacceptable.

@tinman, I feel and know your pain. I was in Iraq, 2 tours. Left my legs there, along with many buddies. You never forget the screams, at least I can't.

Old 01-21-2010, 01:46 AM

3,536 posts, read 5,092,033 times
It is a national disgrace. That our elected reps have more empathy for haitians than our own Vets. That our elected reps waste time and struggle with deporting illegals but don't seem to care about our own vets many of whom have bled for their country. Many of whomwant nothing more than a second chance.

The Haitian gov't had to pay reparations to the French. In order to do so, they took out loans from America. Haiti has paid BILLIONS upon BILLIONS of dollars to the United States. Not to mention the US supporting undemocratically elected despots. Let's not also forget how the US helped take out Aristride (who was democratically elected). This is all in addition to reforms and policies we forced that have greated a "thriving" economy in Haiti. The earthquake is simply the straw that broke the camel's back. I'd also hardly call the United States gov't as having "more empathy for Haitians".

In addition the poverty rate of veterans is 5.9%...compared to about 10% of the population (from the census bureau stats from 2005). So while I feel that even 1% poverty is wrong for ALL people, I don't think it's fair to feel that the US gov't has more empathy for Haiti. A country, remember, that took out loans from the US to pay for French reparations (this went from the 1800s to 1947...however, due to lost money going to France...Haiti took out even more loans from the US). Haitians literally paid for their freedom from both Marianne and Uncle Sam.

1guy I like you I really do. I respect that you try to help disabled children.
But please don't compare the plight of our lost vets to that of criminals who have sacrificed nothing for this nation. They take and take and take.

I never did. I simply said that the same system is at work. I never said that illegal immigrants and vets were the same. Only that the same system that causes poverty in illegal immigrants is the same that causes it for vets.

A list of soldiers who died at my side for their Nation.
I will use their call signs. The families deserve privacy/
Anvil (black american) Multiple gunshots wounds to the chest. My best friend.
Dart (Latino) Explosive concussion. Turned his insides to gel.
Ripper (White) Fragmentation and explosive concussion. Always quiet but man when he talked it was funny.
These 3 died on the same field of battle.
Please do not compare the plight of the illegal to these men of honor, to the plight of those who came home broken.

Look, poverty is poverty. Not to mention that they, those who died, fought for a regime that frankly didn't care about them. Those who lost their lives were led to believe that America truly cared. The general population did, but not those sending them to war. It's the same hegemonic structure that created the global wealth disparity.

The military is used, at times, as a means to subjugate. This subjugation is all in the name of profits. The military industrial complex has grown so large that we need to continuously be fighting at all times...as to ensure that Raytheon and Haliburton are able to turn a healthy profit. These are the two things that those in positions of power truly care about.

So I find it funny when people decide that the best way to increase their standard of living is to attack those at a LOWER echelon than them...and not attack those that actually put them in harms way or in their original position in the first place.

Old 01-21-2010, 01:58 AM

3,536 posts, read 5,092,033 times
When will you accept the fact that illegal aliens are NOT citizens? Thus, we have no obligation to include them in whatever “unification” our country may need. Furthermore, I have no desire whatsoever to become united with illegal aliens. They can seek "unity" in their countries of origin. Nor will I entertain the thought of a compromise with foreign invaders. They need to return home.

Yes because that'll magically solve everything. Because if cheap labor moves south you'll automatically get a pay increase... What do you think will happen? It's pretty odd to think that the informal sector would not increase or production would simply leave at a quicker rate.

The only true way to curb "wage depression"--in quotes because those that may be affected or most likely not seeing it from illegal immigrants, but other factors...lack of education, the decline in manual labor, or outsourcing-- is to close the wage gap. Little catch 22.

Ensuring MORE legal means won't close the gap, but it will slow since now employers are not enticed to go into unregulated markets of our economy. Since that would be the only way as to have wage depression--informal sector.

There you go again, comparing “slaves” or black citizens to illegal aliens. Yes, many poor whites resented the employment of freed slaves. However, the freed slaves were entitled to gainful employment; illegal aliens are not. Apples and oranges.

Obviously you don't know how social structure works. The poor whites were led to believe they WEREN'T entitled to employment. Keeping in the context of the times...the majority of Americans felt that blacks shouldn't work.

Perhaps we need a sticky: Illegal Aliens Are NOT Citizens.

Perhaps you need to understand that poor citizens and the poor illegals are in the same boat...irrespective of documents.

Old 01-21-2010, 07:13 AM

183 posts, read 205,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Ho View Post
It's better to help the Haitians rebuild in their own country. They've already been displaced enough, adding adaptation to a new culture/country on top of that, would be very hard for them. We have lots of skilled labor here that could probably go there and help them to rebuild.

These people didn't ask for the disaster there. That's the important thing to remember. When natural disaster strikes in the massive amount such as in Haiti, all countries should be ready to help. We are all human beings, and should help whenever possible.

Bringing more people to the US is not the answer. We have too many illegal immigrants here currently, and many countrymen of our own. Our natural resources of food, water, and energy supplies cannot withstand being stretched anymore than they already are without causing further hardship to our own people.

If the economic situation were different, it'd be a different story -- bringing those folks here would be fine. As many VETs return from war with no place to live, no help from anyone, and many folks have lost their homes in the real estate crisis and have had to take to living in the streets -- we as a nation have an obligation to help our own citizens FIRST.

There is an old adage that applies very well here: Charity begins at home.

To expect any LEGAL American to forfeit their job, home, or hard earned money to provide employment, residence, and income to those that sneak across our borders illegally (which is a CRIME), while we have many LEGAL Americans that are hungry, homeless and unemployed is simply unacceptable.

@tinman, I feel and know your pain. I was in Iraq, 2 tours. Left my legs there, along with many buddies. You never forget the screams, at least I can't.
Thank you, you have just said everything I have, its nice to know someone shares the same outlook. I asked the said thing I have highlighted in bold. For all those that say were being selfish about this. Because they can afford or are stabalized and have a guaranteed job it doesnt effect them. It effects those of us that already fight tooth and nail to get and keep what we have every day. Its selfish of them to say "bring em on in and all of you U.S. citizens stop complaining we have more than enough" no YOU have more than enough, we, the ones that struggle have almost nothing at all. Your not offering your job and house to these people, your offering ours, those of us that dont have a guaranteed job. THAT IS SELFISH. And yet everytime I ask this, they ignore it pass it by because they know its true.

I also want to applaud you and tell you I am very sorry that your efforts for this country have been without notice. Your in my prayers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration