Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2010, 09:46 PM

10,244 posts, read 16,325,479 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by XodoX View Post
If stealing someone else's identity, and breaking immigration laws is ok to you, then that's good for you. I certainly do not support it. An American would go to jail for years.
No, I don't think it's great necessarily, but it doesn't mean I'm going to tolerate somebody saying that Mexicans who do it are any more arrogant and ungrateful than an illegal immigrant from another country, it's total BS and clearly coming from someone that bases their opinion of Mexican illegal immigrants on some extreme organization and most likely doesn't personally know any illegal Mexicans or illegal immigrants from any other nationality for that matter which would be necessary to be able to form a legitimate comparison/contrast between them. It's an attempt at a cheapshot and a completely undeserved one if you ask me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2010, 09:55 PM

3,565 posts, read 4,850,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slig View Post
No, I don't think it's great necessarily, but it doesn't mean I'm going to tolerate somebody saying that Mexicans who do it are any more arrogant and ungrateful than an illegal immigrant from another country, it's total BS and clearly coming from someone that bases their opinion of Mexican illegal immigrants on some extreme organization and most likely doesn't personally know any illegal Mexicans or illegal immigrants from any other nationality for that matter which would be necessary to be able to form a legitimate comparison/contrast between them. It's an attempt at a cheapshot and a completely undeserved one if you ask me.
I supposed you're Mexican-American? Well no, they are not. Don't know the exact numbers, but how many of the illegals are from Mexico? 80%?
When you have so many illegals form Mexico, then what does it say about Mexicans in general? Does not help the image. Looks like Mexicans have less of a problem breaking the law. I don't really care about this anyway. Don't care where they are from. Couldn't care less.... it's still the same issue.

Old 01-18-2010, 10:06 PM

183 posts, read 242,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Dakar View Post
We should be welcoming our Hatian brothers and sisters with open arms. In times of disaster, especially the one that has wiped out Haiti, we need to be there for our neighbors who suffer. Haiti is our neighbor and we need to do our part to lessen the suffering. It is obvious that Haiti cannot provide for it's suffering souls at this time. Their comes a time when empathy must trump politics and xenophobia. Being ant-illegal is one thing, but there is an old saying that goes "GOD DON'T LIKE UGLY."
Unless you know for sure they are making money to send home then we have the right to be upset. The purpose is to help them here to help their country not help them help themselves. If they bring more over here and you guys want to go on about how wrong it would be to turn them away... I ask this question because Im sure I already know the answer. Are you willing to give YOUR job away to them? Are you willing to give up YOUR home and life style? Are all of you so well off that you can afford to give these things up to them and still be able to support yourselves? We are struggeling to keep the jobs we have now. We struggel to afford a house for our children, clothes for them. I have gone without buying new clothes for the past 2 years to make sure my children are fed and clothed. I do what I have to to make sure they are taken care of. They cant survive all this they dont know how but I do. I will not give up my job and my husbands job to anyone when ourselves are doing so badly. Thats taking food out of my childrens hands and telling them to go ahead and eat all that they want. to he** with my family. Its not being selfish, its being realistic. Its standing up for my children and for those of us that fight tooth and nail to get and keep what little we have right now. If you are a doctor, nurse or anything that you KNOW your job is secure, you have no worries about this and you think they should bring more over then YOU are being selfish. Because you dont care about the Americans already here living in poverty and having to fight for what they have. You are offering jobs that arent your and homes that arent yours. The government is offering help that they dont have. If they are finally realizing this and putting them in detention centers then thats great. because they arent over there where it is devistating but they also arent throwin into a different way of life, blending in with the others here and working jobs we already dont have. I am praying for these people, my heart breaks for them.

Old 01-19-2010, 08:38 AM

341 posts, read 677,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by XodoX View Post
Personally, I do know a few. Yes, they even told me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slig View Post
Didn't ask you but now that you mention it I'm happy for you. I know some too and they aren't at all how Benicar describes them.

I know hundreds of undocumented immigrants, some intimately. I work with them daily in my profession and they are just as human as anyone else. I second your sentiments, Slig. I have yet to meet a single undocumented immigrant who fits the description that Benicar gives.

Back to the subject:

I am in the process of packing to leave for Haiti. Instead of the self-centered sentiments that some have espoused on this board, I am willing to realize how good we have it in America; instead of trying to make people believe that I am suffering, while being able to afford internet access and a computer. Some people should think before they have the nerve to post certain things.

Old 01-19-2010, 08:52 AM

15,171 posts, read 18,525,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Dakar View Post
I know hundreds of undocumented immigrants, some intimately. I work with them daily in my profession and they are just as human as anyone else. I second your sentiments, Slig. I have yet to meet a single undocumented immigrant who fits the description that Benicar gives.

Back to the subject:

I am in the process of packing to leave for Haiti. Instead of the self-centered sentiments that some have espoused on this board, I am willing to realize how good we have it in America; instead of trying to make people believe that I am suffering, while being able to afford internet access and a computer. Some people should think before they have the nerve to post certain things.
Have you met any who are murderers, rapists, pedophiles, or thieves? Probably not. I guess that means they don’t exist.

If you are indeed en route to Haiti, I applaud your efforts. Stay safe.

Old 01-19-2010, 02:49 PM

77 posts, read 102,425 times
Uh going back to the topic. HaItians not Latinos are they gonna have a refugee status? That should qualify them for foodstamps, section 8 and Medicaid.

Old 01-19-2010, 03:25 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,290,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latino & Proud View Post
Uh going back to the topic. HaItians not Latinos are they gonna have a refugee status? That should qualify them for foodstamps, section 8 and Medicaid.
All we know right now is that those Haitians currently in our country illegally and subject to deportation orders will be granted temporary protected status until their country stabilizes. I don't know any other details. It is because of an environmental disaster in their country not because "they just want to stay here and work". We don't have an economic refugee status nor should we.

Old 01-20-2010, 03:20 AM
Yac

6,049 posts, read 7,709,737 times
31(!) posts deleted.
Mexicans are not the topic of this thread, though apparently some of you don't really care what the topic is as long as they can fight and rant.
Get back on topic, please.
Yac.

Old 01-20-2010, 07:43 AM

994 posts, read 1,679,675 times
What about those FEMA centers that were being built. They were intended for Americans...so I see no reason that they can't be used for all the Haitians coming over. They were good enough for us right? So why not them?

Old 01-20-2010, 08:03 AM

183 posts, read 242,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by penguin_kernel View Post
What about those FEMA centers that were being built. They were intended for Americans...so I see no reason that they can't be used for all the Haitians coming over. They were good enough for us right? So why not them?
Good questions. Im all for helping them as long as it doesnt put anymore strain on our jobs extc... and as long as we can keep them in 1 place where we know when their country is fixed we can send them back home. This will also help them adapt to a diff environment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration