U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2010, 06:26 AM

20,310 posts, read 18,878,727 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slig View Post
This is a perfect examle why following all the rules makes little sense at times.
Yeah because rules are such an inconvience. Besides how dare the USA have any rules at all right?
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2010, 07:17 AM

3,567 posts, read 3,818,373 times
I just told this story to illustrate how much LEGAL immigrants struggle, and at the same time we provide subsidies to those we don't need.We don't care about someone who came here legally and tries to better himself/herself by going to College. As harsh as it may sound, the U.S. does not want nor need illegals. We only need those with an education.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sponger42 View Post
Prefer illegal immigrants? Nonsense!

As an F-1 visa holder, she can claim residency, apply for a driver's liscense, apply for insurance, apply for a SSID, get a bank account, she can even work legally (less than 20 hours).
Well, that is a lie. No body can claim residence being on a F1 visa and receive in-state tuition ( only very rare exceptions), and no, you can not get Social Security or anything like this. In this case, paying taxes does not mean you can get it. It's the same for those who marry U.S. citizens ( see affidavit of support), it's only 20 hours on campus. You've ever (tried) to work on campus? Guess not. But I already talked about this..

Btw. I'm not some naive person who dosen't know about anything visas.... I'm aware of the regulations, laws and rules. I know my advice was bad. Do you see the hypocrisy? Could have saved a TON of money, and you just need to wait for an amnesty. Isn't that convenient? This applies to everybody who does try to come legally.

Last edited by XodoX; 01-19-2010 at 07:31 AM..

Old 01-19-2010, 07:39 AM

5,891 posts, read 12,247,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Yeah because rules are such an inconvience. Besides how dare the USA have any rules at all right?
Don't take my post out of context, I'm just saying that going through all that trouble and suffering hardly seems worth it when the person could have easily found some side under the table jobs to help scrape by (babysitting, yardwork, etc.). As a normally law-abiding citizen that's likely what I would've done in that situation.

Old 01-19-2010, 08:58 AM

3,080 posts, read 9,686,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by XodoX View Post
I just told this story to illustrate how much LEGAL immigrants struggle, and at the same time we provide subsidies to those we don't need.We don't care about someone who came here legally and tries to better himself/herself by going to College. As harsh as it may sound, the U.S. does not want nor need illegals. We only need those with an education.
I agree with you. I think every graduate from an accredited university with a degree in a technical field should be awarded an automatic Green Card/LPR.

But please point out how we are "providing subsidies to those we don't need." Most state and federal assistance programs are specifically designed to exclude illegal immigrants. Give me some real examples where this is not true.

Quote:
Well, that is a lie. No body can claim residence being on a F1 visa and receive in-state tuition ( only very rare exceptions),
What? But didn't you initially post she would be applying for in-state tuition?

Also, I meant she can claim residency with the state. You know, get mail, get a driver's liscense, get insurance, get a bank account. I didn't say she could get in-state tuition, in fact I suggested she couldn't.

Quote:
and no, you can not get Social Security or anything like this.
A Social Security Number. SSID. Yes, they are issued to F-1 visa holders with an OPT option so they will have an SSID to give their employer when they apply for work during the 1-year training period. (Also while in school for bank accounts, etc.) No, they don't qualify for social security benefits. Of course not.

Quote:
In this case, paying taxes does not mean you can get it. It's the same for those who marry U.S. citizens ( see affidavit of support),
What?

You must have a SSID in order to have a job/pay taxes. Illegals can't get one, thus can't legally hold a job or pay taxes though many do. Spouses of US citizens are issued an SSID and work permit prior to recieving their Green Card/LPR. Maybe I'm misinterpreting what you wrote. One of us is confused, at any rate.

Quote:
it's only 20 hours on campus. You've ever (tried) to work on campus? Guess not. But I already talked about this..
Doesn't matter. Any employment requires a SSID. "It's only -- hours" is the fast track to fines and penalties. It's especially dangerous for anyone hoping to convert from a visa to an eventual LPR, as records of illegal work can come back to haunt you.

Yes I've worked on a college campus both as part of the general staff and in a cush position working for a prof.

Quote:
Btw. I'm not some naive person who dosen't know about anything visas.... I'm aware of the regulations, laws and rules. I know my advice was bad. Do you see the hypocrisy? Could have saved a TON of money, and you just need to wait for an amnesty. Isn't that convenient? This applies to everybody who does try to come legally.
I think you have a vague grasp of some of the laws and troubles faced by immigrants both legal and non, which is better than most, but not good for giving advice or making claims about policy.

Old 01-19-2010, 09:09 AM

14,307 posts, read 11,144,640 times
Who do you think pays for the birthing of these illegal's babies on our soil? Who do you think pays for their education and other healthcare whether their kids were born here or not? Who do you think pays for the free school lunches, etc. for their kids? This is just the tip of the iceberg. Giving birth on our soil entitles them to all kinds of freebies for these kids till the age of 18. Yes, technically that makes them U.S. citizens but if they hadn't entered our country illegally and gave birth on our soil we wouldn't have this added burden on our taxes.

Old 01-19-2010, 07:09 PM

3,567 posts, read 3,818,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sponger42 View Post
I agree with you. I think every graduate from an accredited university with a degree in a technical field should be awarded an automatic Green Card/LPR.

But please point out how we are "providing subsidies to those we don't need." Most state and federal assistance programs are specifically designed to exclude illegal immigrants. Give me some real examples where this is not true.

Well, the State of Texas ( since I'm living in Texas, I'll just take Texas as an example) pays for every student a certain amount of money to the College. When you're out of state, the College is not entitled to that money. Hence, they make you pay out-of-state tuition. When the illegals get in-state tuition, then Texas pays for them.

What? But didn't you initially post she would be applying for in-state tuition?

No, I never said she "applied". She did apply for the 1000$ scholarship. It's nearly impossibile to get in-state tuition ( on a student visa ). I saw a statistic that only 10 people get it at my College ( 35 000 students/ 8% international).

Also, I meant she can claim residency with the state. You know, get mail, get a driver's liscense, get insurance, get a bank account. I didn't say she could get in-state tuition, in fact I suggested she couldn't.

Well, yeah, she did get a driver's lisence.

A Social Security Number. SSID. Yes, they are issued to F-1 visa holders with an OPT option so they will have an SSID to give their employer when they apply for work during the 1-year training period. (Also while in school for bank accounts, etc.) No, they don't qualify for social security benefits. Of course not.

I thought you meant Social Security Income/Disability. SSID. Yes, she does have a SSN. You do not need a SSN to open up a bank account btw.

What?

Nevermind.
Just thoguht you meant something else by SSID. That's why I said you can't get them even if you're paying taxes.. in some cases.

You must have a SSID in order to have a job/pay taxes. Illegals can't get one, thus can't legally hold a job or pay taxes though many do. Spouses of US citizens are issued an SSID and work permit prior to recieving their Green Card/LPR. Maybe I'm misinterpreting what you wrote. One of us is confused, at any rate.

Only person I know that keeps saying SSID instead of SSN

Doesn't matter. Any employment requires a SSID. "It's only -- hours" is the fast track to fines and penalties. It's especially dangerous for anyone hoping to convert from a visa to an eventual LPR, as records of illegal work can come back to haunt you.

Of course. And it should come back and haunt you. That's why is is wrong to grant illegals amnesty.

Yes I've worked on a college campus both as part of the general staff and in a cush position working for a prof.

Yes. Very hard for F-1 students to find something.

I think you have a vague grasp of some of the laws and troubles faced by immigrants both legal and non, which is better than most, but not good for giving advice or making claims about policy.

You underestimate me. Can't balme you though. You just don't know me.
My response in red.

Old 01-19-2010, 08:15 PM

13,387 posts, read 16,197,803 times
XodoX wrote:
Quote:
I thought you meant
Quote:
Social Security Income/Disability.
SSID. Yes, she does have a SSN. You do not need a SSN to open up a bank account btw.
That would be : SSDI "Social Security Disability Insurance"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration