U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2010, 02:51 PM

704 posts, read 1,577,426 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotmess View Post
I'm sitting here looking at how hard it is to legally immigrate. I mean come on I have to get someone to employ me then live there for like a few years before I even get perm. res. then another 5 so like 8 years to be a citizen.

I can see why many mexicans just say f-it why should i wait like 8 years just to pick corn?

Plus if you were living in crappy mexico born into poverty and right beside america what else would you do. don't get me wrong mexico's is not really all that poor, and its hand are not that clean, but on the individual level there is a huge reason to jump the fence.

If I was a mexican I probably would, its not really worth it to drink feces infested water when you can live somewhere illegally not that bad.

I mean mexicans would probably be willing to come legally if usa allowed more legal immigrants and relaxed the rules of being a millionaire to enter down to something more middle class.

No, Illegal immigrants deserve a country much better than America
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2010, 02:57 PM

335 posts, read 281,033 times
Quote:
Based on today's law they basically would have all been illegals, none of them had university, none had job offers before coming here, all they required was a pulse and be disease free.
Our ancestors didn't come here based on today's immigration laws. Our ancestors came here based on the immigration laws that were in place at the time that they arrived here. Therefore, they came here legally.

Quote:
Plus don't be so sure your ancestors are legal, they may have came here illegally and could have hide it. I have relatives who did so generations back, but I doubt their children know of it.
I know exactly when my ancestors came here, and yes, they came here legally through Ellis Island.

You're really starting to sound desperate in your attempts to rationalize current illegal immigration in this country. I strongly suggest that you stop before your "arguments" get any more weak or silly.

Old 01-20-2010, 03:03 PM

21,148 posts, read 36,622,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbartlebee View Post
Those Italians were not illegal aliens. Even though they might not have had "papers" when they arrived here, they still had to go through the legal immigration process once they got off the boat or plane.

Even if we can't find Americans to do these types of jobs, that's no excuse for companies to hire illegal aliens to do them. Companies could lobby Congress to either increase the number of visas issued in certain categories of foreign workers, or create a new guest worker program for which foreigners would sign up from within their home countries.

By the way, the majority of crops that are grown in this country can now be harvested using machinery. American farmers and agricultural companies really need to modernize their methods for harvesting their crops. Having thousands of people in the fields picking fruits and vegetables by hand is no longer necessary (for the most part) here in the 21st century.

Unfortunately, when illegal aliens come to this country, they don't build brand new cities in these open lands and spaces. Instead, most illegal aliens head for our mid-sized and larger cities where they think they can find work. This makes these cities even more crowded, and it makes the roads in these cities even more congested.
Excellent series of rebuttals there.

Old 01-20-2010, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsrich98 View Post
Correct: their own nations are much better for them so said illegals need to return home--------and, stay there.

Old 01-20-2010, 03:46 PM

472 posts, read 627,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
You people and your darn facts anyway.
If you're pro-illegal you get to make up facts to suit your position.

Old 01-20-2010, 06:47 PM

20,310 posts, read 18,884,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsrich98 View Post
Oh would that be a country like the one they left to sneak into the USA?
Or maybe I don't know a country like say Cuba? Or hmmm Iran?
Oh wait. What about Haiti? I am sure they need the services of such honest hard working immigrants.
Imagine the ID's that can be stolen. Oh damn how would they ever get a credit card from those ID's. LOL

Old 01-20-2010, 10:12 PM

3,849 posts, read 3,162,024 times
Quote:
O please back in the 50s and 60s italians who came here with no papers and spoke no english were coming here in droves, mind you many of those italians who came here aback then are 80 y/o now and still speak no english

By virtue of the fact that illegals are getting jobs a job demand market for them exist I don't see t-rel, deshaun, and bobby and bradshaw signing up to pick berries or chop meat in a slaughterhouse.

There are lots of open lands and spaces here and normal americans don't want to move to the places that mexicans are moving to anyways.

We may have the most generous imm. policy, but look who our competition is, russia, china and italy, do you really want to live like those people do? Most of europe blocks out immigrants and I don't see how they are any better off tha america, in fact with all the illegals america has they are still light years ahead of 99% of europe
You need to get your time frames correct Italian immigration was at its peak alot earlier then that,probably earlier 1900,s on up.When we came through we passed Immigration checkpoints and the feds at the times did let in those without papers at times.Italian immigrants (and other Europeans)did not have mass protests demanding things printed in the language of their homelands or mass protests demandig freebies like others do now.

Old 01-21-2010, 01:20 AM

3,536 posts, read 5,077,957 times
I love the responses. They should come here if they stop being poor...that's essentially the core of the argument. It doesn't address how there is a HUGE gap between America and Mexico...which should be discussed since it lays the foundation for illegal immigration.

Instead let's just say that being poor is solely Mexico's fault and hence why we shouldn't care.

Old 01-21-2010, 07:15 AM

15,179 posts, read 15,813,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by that1guy View Post
I love the responses. They should come here if they stop being poor...that's essentially the core of the argument. It doesn't address how there is a HUGE gap between America and Mexico...which should be discussed since it lays the foundation for illegal immigration.

Instead let's just say that being poor is solely Mexico's fault and hence why we shouldn't care.
How will Mexico ever get its act together if the U.S. continues to be its safety valve? We have millions of poor citizens in this country, yet we arenít dumping them on Canada. There is much wealth in Mexico. Itís way past time for them to improve their country and take care of their own. Iím sick of hearing about how poor Mexicans have no choice but to flee to the US, and that we are obligated to help them.

Old 01-21-2010, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by that1guy View Post

Considering that Mexico'a per capita income is above $14K a year-----------yes, it is Mexico's fault for being poor. Likewise; it is our 'fault' as Americans for being affluent.

Besides: Mexico, unlike Japan or Germany, has not had any wars on its soil for ca. 100 years so, what is that nation's excuse for its myriad failures?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or