U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2010, 10:24 AM

2,381 posts, read 4,419,364 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Depends on whether you break out the numbers of poor Mexicans from the more afluent. Last I read the poor have 3 or more.
Last I read that was over 15 years ago. Seem you are pretty oudated with your stats.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2010, 10:42 AM

3,536 posts, read 5,088,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
How will Mexico ever get its act together if the U.S. continues to be its safety valve? We have millions of poor citizens in this country, yet we arenít dumping them on Canada. There is much wealth in Mexico. Itís way past time for them to improve their country and take care of their own. Iím sick of hearing about how poor Mexicans have no choice but to flee to the US, and that we are obligated to help them.
The US is Mexico's safety valve? The nation that started a war on a false premise to gain Mexico's land...the nation that encouraged ridiculous IMF and World Bank reforms that led to an increase in income disparity in Mexico, the nation that sets up sweat shops that dump toxic waste in Northern Mexico, the same nation who spends billions on the "war on drugs" which stokes the fire of the current drug cartel situation....is Mexico's safety valve?

That's a ridiculous statement to make. This is just the short list of what has happened over the span of centuries.

The poor in the United States, in general, are still richer than the poor in Mexico. The standard of living is different.

Improvement is hard when interest is being paid to American banking institutions. It's not for lack of effort. It's also a little hard when the superpower next door encourages destructive policies and leaders for their own benefit...

Those in the Mexican elite are as much to blame as well. However, America is not wholly innocent.

Old 01-21-2010, 10:48 AM

77 posts, read 88,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by that1guy View Post
The US is Mexico's safety valve? The nation that started a war on a false premise to gain Mexico's land...the nation that encouraged ridiculous IMF and World Bank reforms that led to an increase in income disparity in Mexico, the nation that sets up sweat shops that dump toxic waste in Northern Mexico, the same nation who spends billions on the "war on drugs" which stokes the fire of the current drug cartel situation....is Mexico's safety valve?

That's a ridiculous statement to make. This is just the short list of what has happened over the span of centuries.

The poor in the United States, in general, are still richer than the poor in Mexico. The standard of living is different.

Improvement is hard when interest is being paid to American banking institutions. It's not for lack of effort. It's also a little hard when the superpower next door encourages destructive policies and leaders for their own benefit...

Those in the Mexican elite are as much to blame as well. However, America is not wholly innocent.
Excellent and intelligent Post. Repped

Old 01-21-2010, 11:14 AM

32,953 posts, read 30,201,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zacatecana View Post
Before we do that why don't you check the number of children per family in Mexico before made an uneducated statement?
Speaking of uneducated statements.

1/6 of them are now here in the US. Mexico's stats would change drastically if they actually counted Mexican "poor" Nationals that reside here in the US AND their children who have slipped through the loophole called the 14th.

That number is VERY deceiving because it's Mexico's poor that are coming here illegally not their middle or upper income. They are still Mexicans even if Mexico isn't counting them. If the 14th was modified the stats for US poor would change dramatically too.

Old 01-21-2010, 12:41 PM

3,861 posts, read 7,432,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsrich98 View Post
No, Illegal immigrants deserve a country much better than America
I actually wish more of them felt this way. Hopefully that would result in them staying in their respectives countries or finding another nation to sneak into.

Old 01-21-2010, 12:46 PM

9,070 posts, read 15,509,515 times
Yes US has been very bad boys and girls...they deserve illegals.

Old 01-21-2010, 12:47 PM

15,179 posts, read 15,844,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by that1guy View Post

Wow! With citizens like you, who needs enemies? Granted, the U.S. is no angel, but you really appear to hate this country. Whatever we may or may not have done to Mexico, they remain a very wealthy country. Is it our fault their oligarchy is greedy and corrupt? Is the U.S. at fault for all of the ills of this world?

Old 01-21-2010, 01:00 PM

9,070 posts, read 15,509,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Wow! With citizens like you, who needs enemies? Granted, the U.S. is no angel, but you really appear to hate this country. Whatever we may or may not have done to Mexico, they remain a very wealthy country. Is it our fault their oligarchy is greedy and corrupt? Is the U.S. at fault for all of the ills of this world?

Ask the Haitians....

Old 01-21-2010, 01:07 PM

14,307 posts, read 11,176,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Speaking of uneducated statements.

1/6 of them are now here in the US. Mexico's stats would change drastically if they actually counted Mexican "poor" Nationals that reside here in the US AND their children who have slipped through the loophole called the 14th.

That number is VERY deceiving because it's Mexico's poor that are coming here illegally not their middle or upper income. They are still Mexicans even if Mexico isn't counting them. If the 14th was modified the stats for US poor would change dramatically too.
Good point! In the last 15 or 20 years their poor have left Mexico in droves.

Old 01-21-2010, 01:15 PM

13,387 posts, read 16,243,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotmess View Post
I'm sitting here looking at how hard it is to legally immigrate. I mean come on I have to get someone to employ me then live there for like a few years before I even get perm. res. then another 5 so like 8 years to be a citizen.

I can see why many mexicans just say f-it why should i wait like 8 years just to pick corn?

Plus if you were living in crappy mexico born into poverty and right beside america what else would you do. don't get me wrong mexico's is not really all that poor, and its hand are not that clean, but on the individual level there is a huge reason to jump the fence.

If I was a mexican I probably would, its not really worth it to drink feces infested water when you can live somewhere illegally not that bad.

I mean mexicans would probably be willing to come legally if usa allowed more legal immigrants and relaxed the rules of being a millionaire to enter down to something more middle class.
There's not another country who's immigration Laws are any easier. Millions of immigrant have migrated here legally and without complain, most would addmittthat it was worth the time and money they spent.
Why should we make it any easier for those who are willing to break/ignore our laws once they get here?

If you can't handle our immigration laws, you don't deserve to live here. It's that simple.
For those who don't like it.......TS!

Last edited by mkfarnam; 01-21-2010 at 01:35 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or