U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-20-2010, 01:36 PM
 
68 posts, read 73,126 times
Reputation: 21

Advertisements

I'm sitting here looking at how hard it is to legally immigrate. I mean come on I have to get someone to employ me then live there for like a few years before I even get perm. res. then another 5 so like 8 years to be a citizen.

I can see why many mexicans just say f-it why should i wait like 8 years just to pick corn?

Plus if you were living in crappy mexico born into poverty and right beside america what else would you do. don't get me wrong mexico's is not really all that poor, and its hand are not that clean, but on the individual level there is a huge reason to jump the fence.

If I was a mexican I probably would, its not really worth it to drink feces infested water when you can live somewhere illegally not that bad.

I mean mexicans would probably be willing to come legally if usa allowed more legal immigrants and relaxed the rules of being a millionaire to enter down to something more middle class.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-20-2010, 01:40 PM
 
Location: Mesa, Az
21,148 posts, read 36,711,099 times
Reputation: 3785
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotmess View Post
I'm sitting here looking at how hard it is to legally immigrate. I mean come on I have to get someone to employ me then live there for like a few years before I even get perm. res. then another 5 so like 8 years to be a citizen.

I can see why many mexicans just say f-it why should i wait like 8 years just to pick corn?

Plus if you were living in crappy mexico born into poverty and right beside america what else would you do. don't get me wrong mexico's is not really all that poor, and its hand are not that clean, but on the individual level there is a huge reason to jump the fence.

If I was a mexican I probably would, its not really worth it to drink feces infested water when you can live somewhere illegally not that bad.

I mean mexicans would probably be willing to come legally if usa allowed more legal immigrants and relaxed the rules of being a millionaire to enter down to something more middle class.
To be blunt: since the USA is still a desirable place to live; we can pick and choose whom we let in. If that offends Mexico-----------tough!

If anything; I would like our immigration laws revert to the pre 1965 quota system.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-20-2010, 01:46 PM
 
Location: Pa
20,310 posts, read 18,956,936 times
Reputation: 6517
Not our problem. Its that simple. What our problem is, is the entitlment mentality of illegals and their facilitators.
Does america deserve illegals? No we do not. What we deserve are (honest) hard working immigrants. We don't need the criminals who infest this nation demanding special rights.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-20-2010, 01:49 PM
 
68 posts, read 73,126 times
Reputation: 21
I'm not saying america deserves the thug illegals like who beat and rob people and gangbang, but to an extent when you lock out normal people from immigrating, its not unsurprising you get a bunch of people who come their illegally.

whats the pre '65 thingy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-20-2010, 01:54 PM
 
Location: Maryland
15,179 posts, read 15,854,828 times
Reputation: 3028
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotmess View Post
I'm sitting here looking at how hard it is to legally immigrate. I mean come on I have to get someone to employ me then live there for like a few years before I even get perm. res. then another 5 so like 8 years to be a citizen.

I can see why many mexicans just say f-it why should i wait like 8 years just to pick corn?

Plus if you were living in crappy mexico born into poverty and right beside america what else would you do. don't get me wrong mexico's is not really all that poor, and its hand are not that clean, but on the individual level there is a huge reason to jump the fence.

If I was a mexican I probably would, its not really worth it to drink feces infested water when you can live somewhere illegally not that bad.

I mean mexicans would probably be willing to come legally if usa allowed more legal immigrants and relaxed the rules of being a millionaire to enter down to something more middle class.
Essentially, you are advocating the importation of poverty. Why on earth should the U.S. choose to admit millions of the uneducated and unskilled from Mexico, or any other country? Countries generally grant immigration status to those with knowledge and skills that will benefit the country. Why should the U.S. differ?

Perhaps if they postponed childbirth, and pursued an education, it would improve their eligibility. Sorry, but we already have more than enough poor citizens, we donít need more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-20-2010, 02:02 PM
 
68 posts, read 73,126 times
Reputation: 21
No I am saying the usa should allow normal middle class immigrants to immigrate provided they show they are dedicated to america.

On the other hand I was merely pointing out that on an individual level that any given person put in a situation to live in poverty in mexico that you were born into or go to usa illegally would obviously choose to be an illegal.

Although I am not really an advocate of illegal immigration as a policy what I would say is that for a long time usa let a bunch of poor people in who were illerate to basically go farm land. How are mexicans any different except that they are not from europe? Seriously answer the question, most americans and canadians ancestors came to their country as illerate folks from europe, what makes our ancestors better than mexicans?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-20-2010, 02:04 PM
 
Location: DC
3,277 posts, read 10,398,109 times
Reputation: 1274
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Essentially, you are advocating the importation of poverty. Why on earth should the U.S. choose to admit millions of the uneducated and unskilled from Mexico, or any other country? Countries generally grant immigration status to those with knowledge and skills that will benefit the country. Why should the U.S. differ?

Perhaps if they postponed childbirth, and pursued an education, it would improve their eligibility. Sorry, but we already have more than enough poor citizens, we don’t need more.
Because there's already a market for low wage unskilled labor? If there weren't, then these people wouldn't have jobs waiting for them when they came over. In a lot (or most) cases they get a job through a friend or relative in the U.S. and then make a trip over the border. They don't hop over just to hang out for a few months. It's expensive and risky to get here, they need an income ASAP.

As for education, for a lot of these people that isn't an option. Even those immigrants who are educated and come legally often run into visa issues. My roommate is the only U.S. citizen in her office, so she's always complaining how her coworkers have to leave for a few weeks in order to be able to come back. They're also having problems because a person on their team went home to Pakistan (for the same reason as above) and now can't get back in due to visa issues. The system is just weird. Even my father may have technically been "illegal" for a good chunk of his life because his parents either forgot or didn't realize the form they had to fill out for him. He discovered this after serving in the military and getting married.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-20-2010, 02:10 PM
 
Location: Pa
20,310 posts, read 18,956,936 times
Reputation: 6517
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotmess View Post
No I am saying the usa should allow normal middle class immigrants to immigrate provided they show they are dedicated to america.

On the other hand I was merely pointing out that on an individual level that any given person put in a situation to live in poverty in mexico that you were born into or go to usa illegally would obviously choose to be an illegal.

Although I am not really an advocate of illegal immigration as a policy what I would say is that for a long time usa let a bunch of poor people in who were illerate to basically go farm land. How are mexicans any different except that they are not from europe? Seriously answer the question, most americans and canadians ancestors came to their country as illerate folks from europe, what makes our ancestors better than mexicans?
We do allow normal productive people to immigrate to our nation.
There is a reason we say no. There is a reason we demand a standard.
There is no difference if they are illegals.
Ancient history? Man has evolved. This is a nation of laws. One would expect a person to respect our laws if they want to move here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-20-2010, 02:34 PM
 
Location: Maryland
15,179 posts, read 15,854,828 times
Reputation: 3028
Quote:
Originally Posted by juniperbleu View Post
Because there's already a market for low wage unskilled labor? If there weren't, then these people wouldn't have jobs waiting for them when they came over. In a lot (or most) cases they get a job through a friend or relative in the U.S. and then make a trip over the border. They don't hop over just to hang out for a few months. It's expensive and risky to get here, they need an income ASAP.

As for education, for a lot of these people that isn't an option. Even those immigrants who are educated and come legally often run into visa issues. My roommate is the only U.S. citizen in her office, so she's always complaining how her coworkers have to leave for a few weeks in order to be able to come back. They're also having problems because a person on their team went home to Pakistan (for the same reason as above) and now can't get back in due to visa issues. The system is just weird. Even my father may have technically been "illegal" for a good chunk of his life because his parents either forgot or didn't realize the form they had to fill out for him. He discovered this after serving in the military and getting married.
Yes, there is a market for low-skilled workers. However, that is not the reason employers prefer to hire illegal aliens. It is simply due to greed. They realize they can exploit illegal aliens by paying below-minimum wage, and no benefits. They also save by not paying the required taxes and insurance. This is displacing citizens, and I really donít understand how anyone can condone this illegal practice.

I agree that we need to change certain policies for legal immigration. We are educating many foreigners who desire to remain in this country, but are forced to leave. I have no issue with immigration reform for those who choose to obey our laws. However, I do not endorse any bill that will reward illegal aliens. Our immigration policies may not be ideal, but that does not justify the wanton disregard of the laws of our sovereign nation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-20-2010, 02:42 PM
 
14,307 posts, read 11,185,212 times
Reputation: 2130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Yes, there is a market for low-skilled workers. However, that is not the reason employers prefer to hire illegal aliens. It is simply due to greed. They realize they can exploit illegal aliens by paying below-minimum wage, and no benefits. They also save by not paying the required taxes and insurance. This is displacing citizens, and I really donít understand how anyone can condone this illegal practice.

I agree that we need to change certain policies for legal immigration. We are educating many foreigners who desire to remain in this country, but are forced to leave. I have no issue with immigration reform for those who choose to obey our laws. However, I do not endorse any bill that will reward illegal aliens. Our immigration policies may not be ideal, but that does not justify the wanton disregard of the laws of our sovereign nation.
Well stated and I totally agree!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top