U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-01-2010, 09:46 PM
 
2,087 posts, read 1,346,150 times
Reputation: 262

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkfarnam View Post
If you had nothing to hide, it wouldn't go to court.
First off it could go to court against the cops......Secondly even if there was something to hide it would be thrown out do to illegally obtaining evidence

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkfarnam View Post
It's not racial profiling, it's called "cooperating with the LE"


You seem quite confused as to actual definitions and what happens. You could be profiled and still be cooperating But I guess you would just assume we should all do anything asked of us by LE. Sure rip my car apart, frisk me, make me late for work, make me miss a flight etc etc. You clearly don't get the big point of innocent people having a right to not be warrantlessly held for excessive amounts of time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-01-2010, 09:48 PM
 
2,087 posts, read 1,346,150 times
Reputation: 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
How can anyone take your argument seriously when you refer to Asians as "orientals"? Or are we talking about rugs??

I said oriental which refers to a general background of people. Whats the matter do you not have a real stance so you want to try and nit pick words?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-01-2010, 09:52 PM
 
2,087 posts, read 1,346,150 times
Reputation: 262
[quote=tulani;12712812]
Quote:
Originally Posted by organick View Post

Ok, I went back and read your links.
You are absolutely correct, the police do racially profile people. Is it wrong? Yes. Does it infringe upon the rights of citizens? IF the only reason they are stopped is because of some racial bias, then yes it does.
From what I read the police will profile anyone from any group. I guess they think equal opportunity profiling works. Profiling is not always about race.
I have to agree with the others here that if I was racially profiled (for whatever reason) and I had nothing to hide, I would not mind being stopped and questioned.
I do not feel as if I am giving up my rights. I'm really sorry that other American's feel as if they do.

If you do not feel that being stopped simply because of race and questioned is not a violation of your rights than you do not fully understand your rights.

You see in the big picture people just giving up their rights leads us to situation were the government controls our every move because we have failed to stand up. Will you give up your freedom of speech? right to own a gun? right to vote? if not than why would you give up your right to privacy and your right to not be searched and interrogated without probable cause?????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-01-2010, 10:03 PM
 
2,087 posts, read 1,346,150 times
Reputation: 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
You say profiling violates my rights. It does not. If you feel 'violated' when LE contacts you...........that is not my problem.

You clearly have no understanding of the law.

Civil Rights Division Home Page


"[T]he Constitution prohibits selective enforcement of the law based on considerations such as race." Whren v. United States,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-01-2010, 10:41 PM
 
1,150 posts, read 990,803 times
Reputation: 369
<<Thats not true. I have a problem with anyone being profiled simply based on skin color,>>

You keep bringing up skin color. Do you gave any evidence that a person will be stopped solely because of their skin color?

<<hair do, clothing, whatever.>>

If they're looking for a guy with a ponytail, they'll question guys with ponytails. By the same token, if they're looking for someone wearing a red shirt and jeans, they'll be stopping people wearing red shirts and jeans. This is sensible, and common, law enforcement practice, and is done all the time to all races, and ethnicities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-01-2010, 10:59 PM
 
1,150 posts, read 990,803 times
Reputation: 369
<<There are already laws to stop people for a reasonable cause are there not?>>

Yes, and that's why they'll be stopped. This bill merely gives local LE the right to question their legal status.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-01-2010, 11:12 PM
 
2,087 posts, read 1,346,150 times
Reputation: 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayarcy View Post
<<Thats not true. I have a problem with anyone being profiled simply based on skin color,>>

You keep bringing up skin color. Do you gave any evidence that a person will be stopped solely because of their skin color?

<<hair do, clothing, whatever.>>

If they're looking for a guy with a ponytail, they'll question guys with ponytails. By the same token, if they're looking for someone wearing a red shirt and jeans, they'll be stopping people wearing red shirts and jeans. This is sensible, and common, law enforcement practice, and is done all the time to all races, and ethnicities.


you are so off track. this is not about looking for one suspect that you have a good description of


I linked many articles showing people are profiled just because of skin color, try reading them
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-01-2010, 11:13 PM
 
2,087 posts, read 1,346,150 times
Reputation: 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayarcy View Post
<<There are already laws to stop people for a reasonable cause are there not?>>

Yes, and that's why they'll be stopped. This bill merely gives local LE the right to question their legal status.

that is also a law already you know how they ask for ID
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-02-2010, 12:56 PM
 
Location: central Oregon
1,856 posts, read 2,025,508 times
Reputation: 2377
[quote=organick;12716801]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tulani View Post


If you do not feel that being stopped simply because of race and questioned is not a violation of your rights than you do not fully understand your rights.

You see in the big picture people just giving up their rights leads us to situation were the government controls our every move because we have failed to stand up. Will you give up your freedom of speech? right to own a gun? right to vote? if not than why would you give up your right to privacy and your right to not be searched and interrogated without probable cause?????
I don't recall anyone saying we give up our rights to be searched and interrogated. If that were to happen just because of race (and I KNOW it does) then those people should be allowed to sue the pants off the officers who did so illegally. I get that! No search warrant, no search.
However, just to be stopped and questioned just doesn't bother me. (Obviously they would have probable cause to do so if they were pulling gray haired ladies over.) Maybe it's because I don't drive so there's little chance of it happening. Nah, it didn't bother me when I did drive. I guess being questioned is no big deal because I am not living here illegally and I have nothing to hide.
Being stopped and questioned is one thing... being searched and interrogated is another. I can oblige the first without giving up my rights, but I sure won't stand by and let anyone take away my rights to privacy WITHOUT a written search warrant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-02-2010, 01:17 PM
 
Location: ...at a 3AM epiphany
2,206 posts, read 2,137,548 times
Reputation: 453
Quote:
Being stopped and questioned is one thing... being searched and interrogated is another. I can oblige the first without giving up my rights, but I sure won't stand by and let anyone take away my rights to privacy WITHOUT a written search warrant.
This I agree with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top