U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2010, 10:21 PM

14,307 posts, read 11,160,108 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by organick View Post
Police Profiling is illegal. Maybe you have heard of that? Using skin color to determine criminals is not legal. Period
For the umpteeth time that isn't what they are doing!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2010, 10:24 PM

Quote:
No I AM NOT I am saying american citizens have a right not to be stopped, delayed, questioned, harassed, etc because some cop determines they look potentially like an immigrant. Enforce the immigration law I have no problem with that. I do have a problem with innocent american citizens being interrogated because they look mexican.
And they shall remain innocent until proven guilty! If not guilty of anything, no problem. Are a few questions going to traumatize them for life? You'd think an American would be glad that LE is trying to take criminals off the streets and cooperate with them.

Old 01-21-2010, 10:26 PM

2,087 posts, read 1,348,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
What part of they don't do that, don't YOU get?

Thats just naive. They most certainly do profile based on skin color and this law just takes it further. There are endless court cases of profiling across the country. How exactly do you define "reasonably believe" are you saying people in the southwest don't assume hispanics may be illegal?

Old 01-21-2010, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Thats just naive. They most certainly do profile based on skin color and this law just takes it further. There are endless court cases of profiling across the country. How exactly do you define "reasonably believe" are you saying people in the southwest don't assume hispanics may be illegal?
I never assume that and I live in the southwest.

Old 01-21-2010, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Who is wire tapping or listening to phone calls? It is about stopping someone for a probable cause and asking questions. That's it! Why do you care if you have nothing to hide?

There are already laws to stop people for a reasonable cause are there not? are you denying that? The phone call comment was in reference to the patriot act and your belief we should allow the government to do as they please if we are not doing anything wrong.

Old 01-21-2010, 10:29 PM

Quote:
I never assume that and I live in the southwest.
All you have to do is read this forum to see that many people do.

Old 01-21-2010, 11:15 PM

13,387 posts, read 16,222,929 times
Quote:
Just because 65 illegals were found illegally working in a meat packing plant....YOU! call it profiling.

Almost every incident that was supposedly labeled " profiling" was when a bunch of illegals were found together in one place.

Old 01-21-2010, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkfarnam View Post
Just because 65 illegals were found illegally working in a meat packing plant....YOU! call it profiling.

Almost every incident that was supposedly labeled " profiling" was when a bunch of illegals were found together in one place.

I have no idea what story you are referring to. I am talking about when driving down the highway a trooper sees a pickup truck with 3 mexican guys in it and decides to stop them because maybe they are illegal, no other reason. Just where I live black people get stopped for driving nice cars or on I95 around baltimore where 75% of traffic stops were of people of color...Does not make sense when they make up 18% of the population does it?

Old 01-22-2010, 01:36 AM

11 posts, read 9,202 times
Quote:
Just where I live black people get stopped for driving nice cars or on I95 around baltimore where 75% of traffic stops were of people of color...Does not make sense when they make up 18% of the population does it?
Does "people of color" have the same meaning as "colored people", the outdated phrase for black people?

Old 01-22-2010, 05:55 AM

1,150 posts, read 991,927 times
I think if the person were a casual acquaintance there'd be no problem. You wouldn't be expected to know their legal status. However, if it's a family member, you surely know if they're here illegally, and should be held responsible. There are cases where family members have been prosecuted for harboring fugitives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or