U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2010, 03:52 PM

14,307 posts, read 11,146,155 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by the one View Post
wow!!!! even i who live in LA feel at home. this is just my opinion, but it might also have to do with comfort levels. do you not like foreign food? i can eat all kinds of food here in LA. i dont think it threatens my sense of home or identity. i think it adds to it. but thats only MY opinion.

oh and im in koreatown so i do see and hear a language other than spanish flood the street. no problem. i have even learned some.
Was it you I asked once if you are Hispanic but never got an answer? If you are then that would explain why you would feel comfortable in a city with a predominant Hispanic population. Of course I like ethnic food but that hasn't anything to do with listening to Spanish all day. I can walk into an ethnic restaurant and enjoy a meal and stay an hour or so and then walk back out into America. Well at least that's the way it used to be anyway.

I would expect to hear foreign languages in ethnic business neighbhorhoods. What I am talking about is mainstream America.

Old 01-21-2010, 03:58 PM

183 posts, read 204,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Was it you I asked once if you are Hispanic but never got an answer? If you are then that would explain why you would feel comfortable in a city with a predominant Hispanic population. Of course I like ethnic food but that hasn't anything to do with listening to Spanish all day. I can walk into an ethnic restaurant and enjoy a meal and stay an hour or so and then walk back out into America. Well at least that's the way it used to be anyway.

I would expect to hear foreign languages in ethnic business neighbhorhoods. What I am talking about is mainstream America.

yup thats him.

Old 01-21-2010, 05:03 PM

5,409 posts, read 11,068,069 times
both phones and forms. glendale CA has a huge armenian population. most services are offered in english/armenian.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tulani View Post
Maybe.
I've yet to see anyone confirm that by saying they get to choose between English and a language other than Spanish.
Never heard it myself, so can't really agree.
Are you talking forms or phones when you say "DMV offices"?

Old 01-21-2010, 05:06 PM

5,409 posts, read 11,068,069 times
not that it matters but like barry o, im a mutt. black. hispanic. mixed.

and last i checked mainstream america is not being flooded with spanish.
it is in those places were you have a concentration of those speakers. just like in koreatown i hear lots of korean. in glendale ca i hear lots of armenian.

but if i go to bel air, i hear english.
i dont think mainstream america is being inundated with spanish. i dont see that.

sure spanish speaking neighborhoods are growing, but do you live in one?
Quote:

Old 01-21-2010, 05:11 PM

3,567 posts, read 3,819,259 times
Quote:
Why? How is it in violation of the TOS?

Now he knows.

I don't give a flying crap if we have 100 Mil. or 10 Mil. illegals. How does this support the integration everybody supposedly wants?

Old 01-21-2010, 05:11 PM

8,743 posts, read 10,000,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latino & Proud View Post
Of couse it isn't, many Latinos prefer to speak to someone in Spanish.

this is just another xenophobic threat
How about press 0 for the amount of dollars your business will get from me?

Get real! Why should we press 2 for Spanish? If the Latino groups starts demanding, then the Chinese will start demanding to press 3 for Chinese Cantonese and 4 for Mandarin Chinese. The Indians will come here and press 5 for Hindi. 6 for Punjabi. 7 for Gujrati. 8 for Urdu. 9 for Bengali...

Agh. Just learn English.

Old 01-21-2010, 05:13 PM

14,807 posts, read 18,805,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly237 View Post
Press 1 for English
Press 2 to disconnect until you learn to speak English.
Wish I ran a company..This would be on my phones!!
Tell that to FOX (Fox Sports en Espanol) and ESPN (ESPNdeportes)

Old 01-21-2010, 05:31 PM

3,855 posts, read 4,085,289 times
Quote:

Man I love that Ethnic food out Chicago way...One place had kielbasa grilling and smelled of saurkraut...and those guys were so funny they kept yelling at each other. Reminded me of "Cheez-berger..cheeze-berger" from SNL.

Old 01-21-2010, 05:41 PM

14,307 posts, read 11,146,155 times
Quote:
not that it matters but like barry o, im a mutt. black. hispanic. mixed.

and last i checked mainstream america is not being flooded with spanish.
it is in those places were you have a concentration of those speakers. just like in koreatown i hear lots of korean. in glendale ca i hear lots of armenian.

but if i go to bel air, i hear english.
i dont think mainstream america is being inundated with spanish. i dont see that.

sure spanish speaking neighborhoods are growing, but do you live in one?
Well that explains why you like L.A. It is full of minorities and Hispanics alike. Bel-Air is an affluent area with mostly white people so of course you won't hear a lot of Spanish being spoken there accept in restaurants and on other service jobs.

You'd better check again. Here in the southwest there is hardly a town that isn't being flooded with Spanish speakers both legal and illegal. As I said, I would expect to hear a foreign langauge in an ethnic "business" town like Koreatown. Koreatown is not mainstream America. When I see my local hospital's births 3/4's of the babies have Hispanic surnames. Don't know how many are from illegal parents but ethnically do the math.

Old 01-21-2010, 07:13 PM

21,148 posts, read 36,615,542 times
Quote:
that can very well be regional.

certain DMV offices accomodate other languages. mandarin and armenian being the big ones [after english and spanish]
Which is insane: any test for a US driver's license should be in English only. If a person cannot read our language who lives here; they have no business being behind the wheel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration