U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2010, 12:30 PM
Status: "Make America the Great Joke Again" (set 22 days ago)

9,059 posts, read 15,467,286 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly237 View Post
Guess they don't care (or agree)

Oh they will be here sooner or later...it's not a bad thread if it actually engaged in thought or helped to do anything other than excite the flames (aka troll).

Old 01-21-2010, 12:35 PM

77 posts, read 88,145 times
Quote:
Guess they don't care (or agree)
or they are busy. It's funny how you all think that we all can or wish to be here 24/7. There is life after city data forum.

Having said that, have a good afternoon. Be back tonight, tomorrow or whenever.

Old 01-21-2010, 12:38 PM

15,371 posts, read 33,759,682 times
maybe they are all out getting a 'sense of humor" transplant

Old 01-21-2010, 12:54 PM

5,891 posts, read 12,249,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
What galls us is the pandering to Spanish speakers in this country in this country when it isn't necessary unless they are trying to reach the illegal kind. Kind of like rubbing salt in a wound.
I'm pretty sure that isn't the primary motive for businesses and organizations offering Spanish as an option when calling their hotline number.

Old 01-21-2010, 12:57 PM

1,856 posts, read 2,025,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zacatecana View Post
And an uneducated one as well. The phone service never asks to press a button if you prefer English.
I don't know who you call, but a good percentage of phone calls I make to businesses do ask you to press one for English (and if you are not quick enough to do so then you hear someone talking in Spanish). I never hear any other language besides English and Spanish when calling anyone.

Sorry, but it is pretty irritating - not the actual button pushing, but the fact that it IS being asked of us.

Old 01-21-2010, 01:01 PM

14,307 posts, read 11,146,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slig View Post
I'm pretty sure that isn't the primary motive for businesses and organizations offering Spanish as an option when calling their hotline number.
Really? Pray tell what the reason is then?

Old 01-21-2010, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkfarnam View Post
Well your not everyone..and this world doesn't turn just to accomadate you.
You're right, as I mentioned they accomodate to people who speak 4 different languages in the city I live in...so it appears that this tiny piece of the world is setting out to accomodate to everybody who speaks at least one of those 4 languages.

The way I see it there isn't any reason why offering languages you don't speak should upset you as long as your language is one of those offered.

Old 01-21-2010, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Really? Pray tell what the reason is then?
To offer their service (whatever that service may be) to people who primarily speak Spanish. If you speak English, that is also obviously offered so you're good to go, no reason to complain.

Old 01-21-2010, 01:27 PM

183 posts, read 204,942 times
Quote:
I have often made that statement myself but it went ignored by the pro-illegals. When I hear someone speaking Spanish I do not immediately assume that they are here illegally because I know that even first and second generation Hispanics are prefering Spanish to English as their primary language of usage no matter how proficient they are in English. What galls us is the pandering to Spanish speakers in this country in this country when it isn't necessary unless they are trying to reach the illegal kind. Kind of like rubbing salt in a wound.
Yes thank you!!!

Quote:
Press 1 for English
Press 2 to disconnect until you learn to speak English.

Wish I ran a company..This would be on my phones!!
People jump on the bandwagon and assume your directing this at just illegals but I get your message. If you dwell In American you need to know our language. It should be an option for us to learn other language and not a requirement, sucks the fun out of it. So if you speak English and your not from America originally then having to do everything in English shouldnt bother you one bit.

If you dont know English, you need to learn it. We should not cater to you, we dont adapt to you, its the other way around.

Old 01-21-2010, 01:46 PM

14,307 posts, read 11,146,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slig View Post
To offer their service (whatever that service may be) to people who primarily speak Spanish. If you speak English, that is also obviously offered so you're good to go, no reason to complain.
You're argument lacks merit. If Hispanic citizens and legal immigrants are able to understand and speak English then why provide anything to them in another langauge just because they prefer it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration