U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 01-21-2010, 02:34 PM
 
Location: Indiana
183 posts, read 204,923 times
Reputation: 44

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by the one View Post
wow.

more garbage posts.

complaining about peoples shopping etiqutte [as if it was tied to being hispanic or a citizen] is ridiculous!

i have no problem hearing foreigners speaking.

on the train i hear french. english. tagalog. spanish. russian. korean. it dont bother me much.
why would it be bothersome?

Talk about garbage maybe you should read the quote I was replying to. Experiences OF WHY SPANISH SPEAKING IS ANNOYING.

Oh and here we go again "as if it was tied to a hispanic or a citizen" so now YOU think all hispanics are illegals.

You have no problem with it good for you, LOTS of American do. So because it bothers us it makes it ridiculous?

I suggest next time you decide to attack me you read other peoples posts as well and gather up what Im talking bout cause you obviously have no clue. Good day. I have better things to do than deal with than ignorant people.

Now watch this post get deleted and the ones remain.

 
Old 01-21-2010, 02:35 PM
 
14,307 posts, read 11,144,640 times
Reputation: 2130
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommylee963 View Post
yup. Ive notice that some "higher ups" in charge of all this like to take the sides of people like Latino and Proud. God forbid they attack you personally, dont get into trouble but you defend yourself and say something back you get in trouble and your post deleted. Has this happened to you yet? I know it has me.
Something similar to that but keep in mind if you only attack the message and not the messenger there should be no reason to have your posts deleted or to get into trouble. Sometimes others get off topic and I merely reply to their off topic remarks as I am doing right now and in that case I think the one who got off topic should be the one addressed IMHO. I am learning to stay away from replying to certain people as the moderator says "please don't feed the trolls".
 
Old 01-21-2010, 02:44 PM
 
Location: Indiana
183 posts, read 204,923 times
Reputation: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Something similar to that but keep in mind if you only attack the message and not the messenger there should be no reason to have your posts deleted or to get into trouble. Sometimes others get off topic and I merely reply to their off topic remarks as I am doing right now and in that case I think the one who got off topic should be the one addressed IMHO. I am learning to stay away from replying to certain people as the moderator says "please don't feed the trolls".

Good point some people make comments in the hopes of getting me riled up. Its like talking to a 5th grade bully!! Grow up!! However I have had many posts deleted where I was not attacking the person but the message as they were attacking me personally and I was defending myself. Theirs stayed mine got delted. and they were the ones to go off topic first. Im sure our convo on here will be next.

Im glad to see that Im not the only one whose nerves get erked when trying to shop.
 
Old 01-21-2010, 02:44 PM
 
Location: CITY OF ANGELS AND CONSTANT DANGER
5,409 posts, read 11,068,069 times
Reputation: 2244
nope, there are tourists, lots of them. and then there are those who prefer to speak in whatever language they choose to.

it doesnt make your point. if you think so, then your deduction skills are lacking.

hearing different languages on the train does not speak towards assimiltion. it speaks to the fact that LOS ANGELES is a world class city with many many differnt people from different places of the world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
If you are hearing all those foreign languages being spoken in public constantly (with the exception of tourists) then you have just made my argument that immigrants aren't assimilating. Thanks!
 
Old 01-21-2010, 02:45 PM
 
Location: Minneapolis, MN
5,891 posts, read 12,249,807 times
Reputation: 2520
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
You have to be able to understand and speak English to become a citizen in this country so that blows that theory, doesn't it?
Not true, you can be born into citizenship.

Quote:
As for recent immigrants (legal ones anyway) I disagree that we should have to accomodate them in their native languages. Sink or swim.
Thankfully that is just your own personal opinion.

Quote:
Funny how it is nearlly always only native Spanish speakers who are accomodated. Goes right back to the fact that it is illegal alien Spanish speakers that they are accomodating of which I object to.
Language availability is almost always based on demand. Like I've mentioned in previous posts, alot of signage in Minneapolis for public transportation, public services, airport, etc. is in English, Spanish, Hmong and Somali because those 4 languages are the most commonly used here. I've been in places in California where signs are in English, Spanish and at least one Asian language, although not sure which ones they are. However, most places you go Spanish is by far the 2nd most widely used language, or in some cases the most common. As a result that language is more commonly offered as opposed to other languages. I don't see why this is so hard to understand.
 
Old 01-21-2010, 02:51 PM
 
14,307 posts, read 11,144,640 times
Reputation: 2130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slig View Post
Not true, you can be born into citizenship.



Thankfully that is just your own personal opinion.



Language availability is almost always based on demand. Like I've mentioned in previous posts, alot of signage in Minneapolis for public transportation, public services, airport, etc. is in English, Spanish, Hmong and Somali because those 4 languages are the most commonly used here. I've been in places in California where signs are in English, Spanish and at least one Asian language, although not sure which ones they are. However, most places you go Spanish is by far the 2nd most widely used language, or in some cases the most common. As a result that language is more commonly offered as opposed to other languages. I don't see why this is so hard to understand.
"Becoming" was your clue. What I meant is becoming a naturalized citizen not a natural born one. I figured that was self expanatory. Guess not.

Oh I understand alright. In our PC world we are catering to non-assimilating and illegal immigrants. I understand perfectly.
 
Old 01-21-2010, 02:51 PM
 
Location: CITY OF ANGELS AND CONSTANT DANGER
5,409 posts, read 11,068,069 times
Reputation: 2244
oh deary!!! you are the one that injected the conversation with "hispanic snobs"! such qualifiers are unnecesarry. but you dont see that. its ok.
oh and trying to make it seem like i equated hispanic with being illegal is a desperate attempt. i made no such connection.
you in fact mentioned ethnicity like if it had any bearing on shopping etiquette. but you didnt see that either.
its ok. maybe you havent had your nap today...

thanks for the laughs tho.


Quote:
Originally Posted by mommylee963 View Post
Talk about garbage maybe you should read the quote I was replying to. Experiences OF WHY SPANISH SPEAKING IS ANNOYING.

Oh and here we go again "as if it was tied to a hispanic or a citizen" so now YOU think all hispanics are illegals.

You have no problem with it good for you, LOTS of American do. So because it bothers us it makes it ridiculous?

I suggest next time you decide to attack me you read other peoples posts as well and gather up what Im talking bout cause you obviously have no clue. Good day. I have better things to do than deal with than ignorant people.

Now watch this post get deleted and the ones remain.
 
Old 01-21-2010, 02:54 PM
 
14,307 posts, read 11,144,640 times
Reputation: 2130
Quote:
Originally Posted by the one View Post
nope, there are tourists, lots of them. and then there are those who prefer to speak in whatever language they choose to.

it doesnt make your point. if you think so, then your deduction skills are lacking.

hearing different languages on the train does not speak towards assimiltion. it speaks to the fact that LOS ANGELES is a world class city with many many differnt people from different places of the world.
Well you are entitled to your opinion as I am mine. IMO if you live in this country and especially if you are a citizen it is a non-assimilation factor if you choose to speak another langauge rather than our national one out in public. I think it rude. You don't. Differences of opinion I guess.
 
Old 01-21-2010, 02:56 PM
 
Location: CITY OF ANGELS AND CONSTANT DANGER
5,409 posts, read 11,068,069 times
Reputation: 2244
State Senate approves bill banning language discrimination | L.A. NOW | Los Angeles Times

this has to do more with language discrimination.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
In other words, every business MUST offer multiple language options, or be in violation of the law? Would you care to provide a link?
 
Old 01-21-2010, 03:00 PM
 
Location: CITY OF ANGELS AND CONSTANT DANGER
5,409 posts, read 11,068,069 times
Reputation: 2244
difference of opinion. i think its great. moreover, i get to practice my limited foreign language skills.

hearing other languages is no problem. that would be like me takin offense to the way people speak english? should i correct someone if i hear them pronounce the word ask as axe? lets say i prefer the queens english, should i demand that all people speak enlgish in that manner? no, thats their accent, drawl, inflection, language, RIGHT.

i dont take offense to it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Well you are entitled to your opinion as I am mine. IMO if you live in this country and especially if you are a citizen it is a non-assimilation factor if you choose to speak another langauge rather than our national one out in public. I think it rude. You don't. Differences of opinion I guess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top