U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2010, 03:15 PM

14,307 posts, read 11,146,155 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by the one View Post
no accomodating them can be considered discriminatory.
im not sayin i agree with it. im just saying thats whats been decided.

thats why the govt offers forms in multiple languages.
I disagree. Where in our laws does it say that a business has to provide a translator for every person who walks in their door who doesn't speak or refuses to speak English? As for our government if they grew some they would stop being so PC and only provide documents in English. It would save us a lot of money and then immigrants would know that they need to learn English or hire their own translators.

Old 01-21-2010, 03:15 PM

5,409 posts, read 11,068,069 times
any other personal attacks?
if all you can come back with is calling me a hypocrite, then yes, lets end this.
you obviously dont have the adequate debating skills.

i prefer benicar for that. she is very smart. i can take her intelligent jabs because she often has irrefutable points. (and she can take my intelligent punches as well). we debate back and forth.
but if all you can do is attack me personally and disregard the content of my posts, then just put me on your ignore list...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommylee963 View Post
yea yea keep on trolling. your a hypocrite by the way thought Id throw that in there. Again have a nice day.

Old 01-21-2010, 03:17 PM

you may very well disagree, but the courts dont.
that can all be changed. there are folks trying to do that.

i wouldnt put too much interest in that myself.
like ive said, there are bigger fish to fry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
I disagree. Where in our laws does it say that a business has to provide a translator for every person who walks in their door who doesn't speak or refuses to speak English? As for our government if they grew some they would stop being so PC and only provide documents in English. It would save us a lot of money and then immigrants would know that they need to learn English or hire their own translators.

Old 01-21-2010, 03:18 PM

15,179 posts, read 15,809,199 times
Quote:
no accomodating them can be considered discriminatory.
im not sayin i agree with it. im just saying thats whats been decided.

thats why the govt offers forms in multiple languages.
Where is the link? The link you provided pertains to discriminatory practices, of which a business only providing an automated service in English does not qualify. The native tongue of many citizens of this country is not English or Spanish. Yet, most automated phone services do not accommodate all. Would that not be discrimination against the other languages? Again, please provide a link to the law mandating business phones to offer multiple language options.

Old 01-21-2010, 03:18 PM

183 posts, read 204,942 times
Quote:

It would also be nice if they stopped trying to force people to learn Spanish to work or finish high school. Im completely against it. It should be by our choice. Land of the free is suppose to also mean freedom of choice. But of course we havent been THAT free in a very long time.

Old 01-21-2010, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slig View Post
Let's not argue over semantics. In that case, I went to the USCIS website to see what the requirements were for permanent residents to become citizens. This is a direct quote from the website: "Be able to read, write, speak, and understand basic English"

Basic English does not necessarily mean enough English to be at a high enough level to be able to understand rapid phone messages, etc. and those types of activities would be very difficult for somebody who only has a basic grasp of the language (very subjective, but under my understanding of the meaning "basic.") That being said, I still think it makes sense to offer services in other languages for citizens and legal residents...as well as visitors from other countries.
Then it is up to them to become more proficient in English. I disagree that we should cater to every limited English speaking immigrant that comes here.

By the way, thanks for your civil responses. Refreshing to say the least.

Old 01-21-2010, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommylee963 View Post
It would also be nice if they stopped trying to force people to learn Spanish to work or finish high school. Im completely against it. It should be by our choice. Land of the free is suppose to also mean freedom of choice. But of course we havent been THAT free in a very long time.
That is another thing that bothers me. All of a sudden jobs require Spanish. Police, fireman, teachers, etc. are required to learn Spanish and our kids are being taught Spanish in our schools sometimes against their parent's will. What's up with that if native Spanish speakers are assimilating to our language?

Old 01-21-2010, 03:22 PM

183 posts, read 204,942 times
Quote:
any other personal attacks?
if all you can come back with is calling me a hypocrite, then yes, lets end this.
you obviously dont have the adequate debating skills.

i prefer benicar for that. she is very smart. i can take her intelligent jabs because she often has irrefutable points. (and she can take my intelligent punches as well). we debate back and forth.
but if all you can do is attack me personally and disregard the content of my posts, then just put me on your ignore list...

Ah yes because your above personal attacks? "you obviously dont have the adequate debating skills". I dont lack them I just dont deal with pettiness and hypocrites, which you are. If you preffer her for that then perhaps you should stick to debating with her and stop looking to annoy people. Again and I state stop trolling, thats exactly what your doing here.

Old 01-21-2010, 03:23 PM

no, the fish i speak of are other ills that affect my community. what people speak is not one of them. and its linked to immigration, not illegal immigration. immigrants come with varying degrees of english proficiency. thats all it is.

but i must agree. you can very well think its rude; i dont. and thats a difference in opinion. i accept that.
i get where you are coming from.
for example, if im in a group of people, who all are bilingual except one person, it would be rude for us to switch into italian, essentially excluding one person.
here it matters because we are a group of individuals together. these people most likely matter to me. they are people i know.
a stranger in a store or on a train... what do they really matter to you or me for that matter?

Quote:
Again, it is your opinion vs mine. I never said they didn't have the right to speak another langauge only that I think it rude when one knows how to speak English. This "fish" is directly linked to illegal immigration and other non-assimilating persons in our country.

Old 01-21-2010, 03:25 PM

Quote:
you may very well disagree, but the courts dont.
that can all be changed. there are folks trying to do that.

i wouldnt put too much interest in that myself.
like ive said, there are bigger fish to fry.
It's a big fish to fry to me. For one thing Spanish is taking over this country and I object to that and it is directly due to illegal immigration and generations of Hispanics that just refuse to adopt English as their primary language of usage. We aren't a Hispanic, Spanish speaking country anymore than Mexico is an Anglo, English speaking country culturally and it should remain so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration