Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2010, 09:08 AM

9,963 posts, read 18,487,248 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
If business owners have a right to accommodate foreign language-speaking customers, they should also have a right NOT to accommodate them. I do agree that this is not directly related to illegal immigration. However, we do know that the primary beneficiaries are indeed illegal aliens.

Really? Here in the BayArea if you go into a business or ATM for that matter, you will sometimes see 4-5 languages (English, Mandarin, Japanese or Korean and Spanish.)

Are those all illegals? Seems to me it aligns with the tourists and fresh immigrants that are in the local area.

To the OP: I know how I would run a business....to serve as many customers as possible. You may be able to get away with running in single language in a non-international city...but in the majors you will need more.

Old 01-21-2010, 09:12 AM

14,306 posts, read 13,309,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
Really? Here in the BayArea if you go into a business or ATM for that matter, you will sometimes see 4-5 languages (English, Mandarin, Japanese or Korean and Spanish.)

Are those all illegals? Seems to me it aligns with the tourists and fresh immigrants that are in the local area.

To the OP: I know how I would run a business....to serve as many customers as possible. You may be able to get away with running in single language in a non-international city...but in the majors you will need more.
Accept that most legal immigrants and citizens know how to speak English. So it is obvious that they are catering to illegal aliens.

Old 01-21-2010, 09:16 AM

15,171 posts, read 18,550,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zacatecana View Post
Since the majority of Spanish speaking immigrants are LEGAL, your statement would be incorrect.
If true, why are we constantly told that the vast majority of immigrants speak English? Again, you have injected “Spanish” into the discussion, when the OP clearly did not mention any particular language, nor did I.

Old 01-21-2010, 09:26 AM

15,171 posts, read 18,550,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post

The OP involved a business phone line, not an ATM. I have yet to receive more than 2 options for a business phone.

Old 01-21-2010, 09:32 AM

77 posts, read 102,525 times
ATM phones service in person same thing.

there is a reason why not just anybody can run a business

END OF THREAD

Old 01-21-2010, 09:43 AM

10,244 posts, read 16,354,731 times
Once again, the non-mutually exclusive association between illegal immigration and the Spanish language rears its ugly head in the message board.

Please note that a person speaking Spanish (or any other language for that matter) in the US is not automatically an illegal immigrant. Many times the person is legally documented to be here.

Also, please note that there are many illegal immigrants here who speak fluent English. I have several Mexican friends who either live here or did live here for many years and they speak English with a very high proficiency. We also have friends who were brought here when they were children and have lived essentially their entire life here. They speak fluent English without any kind of accent, yet are undocumented.

Once again, please do not associate Non-English language use with illegal immigration. Thank you.

FYI: Many signs in Minneapolis are in English, Spanish, Somali and Hmong to accomodate the 4 most commonly used languages in the area....makes perfect sense to me.

Old 01-21-2010, 11:51 AM

13,387 posts, read 19,415,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latino & Proud View Post
Thread reported to mods
Boo Hoo

Old 01-21-2010, 11:59 AM

13,387 posts, read 19,415,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slig View Post
Once again, the non-mutually exclusive association between illegal immigration and the Spanish language rears its ugly head in the message board.

Please note that a person speaking Spanish (or any other language for that matter) in the US is not automatically an illegal immigrant. Many times the person is legally documented to be here.

Also, please note that there are many illegal immigrants here who speak fluent English. I have several Mexican friends who either live here or did live here for many years and they speak English with a very high proficiency. We also have friends who were brought here when they were children and have lived essentially their entire life here. They speak fluent English without any kind of accent, yet are undocumented.

Once again, please do not associate Non-English language use with illegal immigration. Thank you.

FYI: Many signs in Minneapolis are in English, Spanish, Somali and Hmong to accomodate the 4 most commonly used languages in the area
Quote:
....makes perfect sense to me.
Well your not everyone..and this world doesn't turn just to accomadate you.

Old 01-21-2010, 12:12 PM

8,583 posts, read 15,999,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latino & Proud View Post
Thread reported to mods
Guess they don't care (or agree)

Old 01-21-2010, 12:27 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,309,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slig View Post

FYI: Many signs in Minneapolis are in English, Spanish, Somali and Hmong to accomodate the 4 most commonly used languages in the area....makes perfect sense to me.
I have often made that statement myself but it went ignored by the pro-illegals. When I hear someone speaking Spanish I do not immediately assume that they are here illegally because I know that even first and second generation Hispanics are prefering Spanish to English as their primary language of usage no matter how proficient they are in English. What galls us is the pandering to Spanish speakers in this country in this country when it isn't necessary unless they are trying to reach the illegal kind. Kind of like rubbing salt in a wound.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration