Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2010, 01:49 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,275,936 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slig View Post
You're right, as I mentioned they accomodate to people who speak 4 different languages in the city I live in...so it appears that this tiny piece of the world is setting out to accomodate to everybody who speaks at least one of those 4 languages.

The way I see it there isn't any reason why offering languages you don't speak should upset you as long as your language is one of those offered.
Here is an example of why it is irritating. A couple of places I used to shop would have advertisements over the intercom in both Spanish and English or sometimes only in Spanish. It always made me feel like I was shopping in Mexico rather than the USA. There are other examples of why it is irritating but I am only giving one here.

Old 01-21-2010, 02:03 PM

10,244 posts, read 16,295,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
You're argument lacks merit. If Hispanic citizens and legal immigrants are able to understand and speak English then why provide anything to them in another langauge just because they prefer it?
If all Hispanic citizens and legal immigrants could understand and speak English there would be far less of a need for it, but that simply isn't the case. Also, there are many different levels of proficiency. There are alot of people I know who speak and understand enough English to get by but when it comes to TV, radio, phone messages, etc. they freak out because the voice is speaking too fast for them to understand. Hence, the demand for the option to listen to the message is Spanish or another language. Anyone who has learned another language would understand this concept.

Old 01-21-2010, 02:11 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,631,254 times
actually thats already been decided by the courts. your opinion was not that of the courts.
and you DONT know who the beneficiaries are. that is pure conjecture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
If business owners have a right to accommodate foreign language-speaking customers, they should also have a right NOT to accommodate them. I do agree that this is not directly related to illegal immigration. However, we do know that the primary beneficiaries are indeed illegal aliens.

Old 01-21-2010, 02:12 PM

exactly!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
Really? Here in the BayArea if you go into a business or ATM for that matter, you will sometimes see 4-5 languages (English, Mandarin, Japanese or Korean and Spanish.)

Are those all illegals? Seems to me it aligns with the tourists and fresh immigrants that are in the local area.

To the OP: I know how I would run a business....to serve as many customers as possible. You may be able to get away with running in single language in a non-international city...but in the majors you will need more.

Old 01-21-2010, 02:12 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,786,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latino & Proud View Post
ATM phones service in person same thing.

there is a reason why not just anybody can run a business

END OF THREAD
Was just thinking if a user name of Latino and Ashamed

or

Non Latino and Proud would be considered to be a racist username.

What about White and Proud? Or Part Native American and Part Caucasian and Proud. (That's me by the way. I don't define my life by who my great grandmother was. I think that would be rather limiting.)

/pride goeth before a fall.

Personally, Run your business any way you see fit. Discriminate and reap the benefits of that. See Ned Flanders for details.

List of fictional locations in The Simpsons - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 01-21-2010, 02:13 PM

183 posts, read 242,170 times
well then at the end of the message they need to have the option to "press one to repeat the message SLOWELY" . That would actually be a good investment as sometimes they speak so quickly I dont understand.

Old 01-21-2010, 02:14 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,275,936 times
You got that right. If someone in here used the handle of "White and Proud" they would be accused of being a white nationalist aka racist.

Old 01-21-2010, 02:15 PM

1,908 posts, read 2,528,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slig View Post
If all Hispanic citizens and legal immigrants could understand and speak English there would be far less of a need for it, but that simply isn't the case. Also, there are many different levels of proficiency. There are alot of people I know who speak and understand enough English to get by but when it comes to TV, radio, phone messages, etc. they freak out because the voice is speaking too fast for them to understand. Hence, the demand for the option to listen to the message is Spanish or another language. Anyone who has learned another language would understand this concept.
As I said previously, I have never heard ANY other language offered on the phone. I might be wrong, because I usually never go past the "press one for English" phrase - I press the button.
Anyone hear the operator mention a language OTHER than Spanish?

Old 01-21-2010, 02:16 PM

ive never had to press one from english.

its always a number for spanish, otherwise stay on the line. last week i called my mortgage co., AT&T, So Cal edison. none of them had me press anything for english.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tulani View Post
I don't know who you call, but a good percentage of phone calls I make to businesses do ask you to press one for English (and if you are not quick enough to do so then you hear someone talking in Spanish). I never hear any other language besides English and Spanish when calling anyone.

Sorry, but it is pretty irritating - not the actual button pushing, but the fact that it IS being asked of us.

Old 01-21-2010, 02:18 PM

183 posts, read 242,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Here is an example of why it is irritating. A couple of places I used to shop would have advertisements over the intercom in both Spanish and English or sometimes only in Spanish. It always made me feel like I was shopping in Mexico rather than the USA. There are other examples of why it is irritating but I am only giving one here.
Or when your going down an isle and a hispanic snob bumps into you and doesnt say sorry but starts cussing you out in spanish. Or when your shopping and you have a bunch of them around you speakin in native tounge so loudly you cant hear yourself think or any announcements on the intercom!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration