Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2010, 02:19 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,833,234 times

Advertisements

Isn't it something like, "para espanol, marque el numero dos"?

See? It's a learning experience.

I've worked with groups of Army guys over here that spoke Spanish together. They spoke Englsh to me when they needed me. Some people might have a problem with this.
I didn't see it as an issue. If the biggest thing I have to worry about is if Sgt. Mendoza wants to know if Sgt. Esperanza wants to go to chow and get a hamburger, and they are saying it in Spanish.....then I've got it made.

Old 01-21-2010, 02:20 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,562,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the one View Post
actually thats already been decided by the courts. your opinion was not that of the courts.
and you DONT know who the beneficiaries are. that is pure conjecture.
In other words, every business MUST offer multiple language options, or be in violation of the law? Would you care to provide a link?

Old 01-21-2010, 02:21 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,318,817 times
Quote:
ive never had to press one from english.

its always a number for spanish, otherwise stay on the line. last week i called my mortgage co., AT&T, So Cal edison. none of them had me press anything for english.
Not questioning your personal experience on this matter but more often than not I am asked to press 1 for English and 2 for Spanish on these phone recordings. That has been MY personal experience.

Old 01-21-2010, 02:22 PM

183 posts, read 242,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
You got that right. If someone in here used the handle of "White and Proud" they would be accused of being a white nationalist aka racist.
yup. Ive notice that some "higher ups" in charge of all this like to take the sides of people like Latino and Proud. God forbid they attack you personally, dont get into trouble but you defend yourself and say something back you get in trouble and your post deleted. Has this happened to you yet? I know it has me.

Old 01-21-2010, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tulani View Post
As I said previously, I have never heard ANY other language offered on the phone. I might be wrong, because I usually never go past the "press one for English" phrase - I press the button.
Anyone hear the operator mention a language OTHER than Spanish?
Nope, not in this area.

Old 01-21-2010, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Not questioning your personal experience on this matter but more often than not I am asked to press 1 for English and 2 for Spanish on these phone recordings. That has been MY personal experience.
As well as mine.

Old 01-21-2010, 02:24 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,665,367 times
wow.

more garbage posts.

complaining about peoples shopping etiqutte [as if it was tied to being hispanic or a citizen] is ridiculous!

i have no problem hearing foreigners speaking.

on the train i hear french. english. tagalog. spanish. russian. korean. it dont bother me much.
why would it be bothersome?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommylee963 View Post
Or when your going down an isle and a hispanic snob bumps into you and doesnt say sorry but starts cussing you out in spanish. Or when your shopping and you have a bunch of them around you speakin in native tounge so loudly you cant hear yourself think or any announcements on the intercom!!!

Old 01-21-2010, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slig View Post
If all Hispanic citizens and legal immigrants could understand and speak English there would be far less of a need for it, but that simply isn't the case. Also, there are many different levels of proficiency. There are alot of people I know who speak and understand enough English to get by but when it comes to TV, radio, phone messages, etc. they freak out because the voice is speaking too fast for them to understand. Hence, the demand for the option to listen to the message is Spanish or another language. Anyone who has learned another language would understand this concept.
You have to be able to understand and speak English to become a citizen in this country so that blows that theory, doesn't it? As for recent immigrants (legal ones anyway) I disagree that we should have to accomodate them in their native languages. Sink or swim. Funny how it is nearlly always only native Spanish speakers who are accomodated. Goes right back to the fact that it is illegal alien Spanish speakers that they are accomodating of which I object to.

Old 01-21-2010, 02:28 PM

183 posts, read 242,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Nope, not in this area.

Not hear either. In fact most of the operators are hispanic and VERY poor on their english and we can never understand them. I always get annoyed and tell them to pass me to someone I can understand. They always pass me to another person of native tounge that lack english. Then when I end up peeved off and demand a manager the manager is perfect english and I blow up on them because they need people in their offices we can understand or they will lose lots of peoples business. Only 1nce was I told I was being racist. The other times they apologize. Call em back a week later, same freggin problem.

Old 01-21-2010, 02:28 PM

Quote:
wow.

more garbage posts.

complaining about peoples shopping etiqutte [as if it was tied to being hispanic or a citizen] is ridiculous!

i have no problem hearing foreigners speaking.

on the train i hear french. english. tagalog. spanish. russian. korean. it dont bother me much.
why would it be bothersome?
If you are hearing all those foreign languages being spoken in public constantly (with the exception of tourists) then you have just made my argument that immigrants aren't assimilating. Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration