Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2010, 03:02 PM

183 posts, read 242,728 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by the one View Post
oh deary!!! you are the one that injected the conversation with "hispanic snobs"! such qualifiers are unnecesarry. but you dont see that. its ok.
oh and trying to make it seem like i equated hispanic with being illegal is a desperate attempt. i made no such connection.
you in fact mentioned ethnicity like if it had any bearing on shopping etiquette. but you didnt see that either.
its ok. maybe you havent had your nap today...

thanks for the laughs tho.
Oh no sweetheart I said a hispanic snob. As in someone that bumps into you and doesnt apologize but cusses you out for bumping into her. And she was HISPANIC!!! It qualifies. But of course in your world that never happened right? Again read the post, I was replying to something someone said and giving an example of why its annoying. HIspanic snob CUSSING ME OUT IN SPANISH qualifies. So I suggest you stop... what was that word again? oh yeah TROLLING!

Oh and its not desperate sweety. and I quote "[as if it was tied to being hispanic or a citizen]" If I may recall you put up the fight of "how do you know every illegal is hispanic. There are legal hispanic in this country too." So If they are legal they are considered a citizen are they not? Everything you argued for was contradicted with that one quote. Therefor I have no reason to further argue with you as you dont even know what YOU are talking about anymore. Have fun.

Old 01-21-2010, 03:04 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,313,780 times
Quote:
difference of opinion. i think its great. moreover, i get to practice my limited foreign language skills.

hearing other languages is no problem. that would be like me takin offense to the way people speak english? should i correct someone if i hear them pronounce the word ask as axe? lets say i prefer the queens english, should i demand that all people speak enlgish in that manner? no, thats their accent, drawl, inflection, language, RIGHT.

i dont take offense to it.

That's a whole different scenario. For the most part most English speakers can understand English being spoken by anyone even if they speak it with an accent.

Old 01-21-2010, 03:06 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,555,982 times
Quote:
I am aware of that particular case. However, you implied that a business is mandated to offer multiple language options, or be in violation of the law; which I know is simply not true.

We are not discussing discriminatory practices. We are discussing the right of a business to have the discretion of either offering their automated phone service in English, or being legally required to offer multiple languages.

Old 01-21-2010, 03:06 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,661,015 times
you still dont get it.

instead of it being another rude individual at a store, you affix some ethnic label as if that mattered or had any impact on the way you were treated. it wasnt that they were hispanic. its that they were rude.
but in this particular case it fits your agenda, so you attch these qualifiers.

ya, the BLACK rapist. the WHITE molester. the HISPANIC snob

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommylee963 View Post
Oh no sweetheart I said a hispanic snob. As in someone that bumps into you and doesnt apologize but cusses you out for bumping into her. But of course in your world that never happened right? Again read the post, I was replying to something someone said and giving an example of why its annoying. HIspanic snob CUSSING ME OUT IN SPANICH qualifies. Find another reason to be annoying.

Oh and its not desperate sweety. and I quote "[as if it was tied to being hispanic or a citizen]" If I may recall you put up the fight of "how do you know every illegal is hispanic. There are legal hispanic in this country too." So If they are legal they are considered a citizen are they not? Everything you argued for was contradicted with that one quote. Therefor I have no reason to further argue with you as you dont even know what YOU are talking about anymore. Have fun.

Old 01-21-2010, 03:08 PM

point is they have the RIGHT to do so.
and to get upset by the language some one uses or the way they use said language is petty.
i got bigger fish to fry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
That's a whole different scenario. For the most part most English speakers can understand English being spoken by anyone even if they speak it with an accent.

Old 01-21-2010, 03:09 PM

Quote:
I don't see what this has to do with the topic at hand. Of course you can't discriminate against someone who doesn't speak English but that doesn't mean that a business has to cater to them in their native language either.

183 posts, read 242,728 times
Quote:
you still dont get it.

instead of it being another rude individual at a store, you affix some ethnic label as if that mattered or had any impact on the way you were treated. it wasnt that they were hispanic. its that they were rude.
but in this particular case it fits your agenda, so you attch these qualifiers.

ya, the BLACK rapist. the WHITE molester. the HISPANIC snob

yea yea keep on trolling. your a hypocrite by the way thought Id throw that in there. Again have a nice day.

10,244 posts, read 16,364,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
"Becoming" was your clue. What I meant is becoming a naturalized citizen not a natural born one. I figured that was self expanatory. Guess not.
Let's not argue over semantics. In that case, I went to the USCIS website to see what the requirements were for permanent residents to become citizens. This is a direct quote from the website: "Be able to read, write, speak, and understand basic English"

Basic English does not necessarily mean enough English to be at a high enough level to be able to understand rapid phone messages, etc. and those types of activities would be very difficult for somebody who only has a basic grasp of the language (very subjective, but under my understanding of the meaning "basic.") That being said, I still think it makes sense to offer services in other languages for citizens and legal residents...as well as visitors from other countries.

Old 01-21-2010, 03:10 PM

no accomodating them can be considered discriminatory.
im not sayin i agree with it. im just saying thats whats been decided.

thats why the govt offers forms in multiple languages.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
I am aware of that particular case. However, you implied that a business is mandated to offer multiple language options, or be in violation of the law; which I know is simply not true.

We are not discussing discriminatory practices. We are discussing the right of a business to have the discretion of either offering their automated phone service in English, or being legally required to offer multiple languages.

Old 01-21-2010, 03:11 PM

Quote:
point is they have the RIGHT to do so.
and to get upset by the language some one uses or the way they use said language is petty.
i got bigger fish to fry.
Again, it is your opinion vs mine. I never said they didn't have the right to speak another langauge only that I think it rude when one knows how to speak English. This "fish" is directly linked to illegal immigration and other non-assimilating persons in our country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration