Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2007, 05:51 AM

233 posts, read 438,624 times

Advertisements

I am sure that most of us that have been posting on here know of at least one store/business in your own town that hires illegal workers, and we all know that the almighty dollar is the one thing most people hear. If you effectively cut off someones $$ you get their attention very quickly, so what does everyone think the consequences would be if we all went into those places that we know have illegals working and do our normal shopping and then "change our mind" and leave without making any purchase but making sure to let the owner know our reason for taking our business elsewhere. Seems to me that cheap labor isn't so cheap if you're not taking in enough to pay it. It would be nice to be able to solve the illegal problem without having to hurt someones ability to pay their workers but face it a lot of these business owners want those illegals for that cheap labor which also translates into bigger profits for themselves, so they for sure wouldn't get on board for deportation unless you hurt their income and show them what the rest are feeling. Think it would work, or think it stinks?
One more thing, has anyone thought to get a march organized of those against this new amnesty plan they are pushing? Seems the illegals can march and protest so why don't the rest of us.............if anyone hears of a march somewhere please post it...I'll get there with bells on!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2007, 02:16 PM

126 posts, read 548,557 times
Hey, I'm with you here! In fact, I already avoid areas where I live that employ non-English speaking, illegals. Or products of illegals. Which, here in Southern Cali is all you've got! Problem is, if you try and speak to the on site mgr...well, you're lucky if they even speak English. Now, granted, most of what I'm referring to is fast food places, which I don't go to much anyway....but you know sometimes you're in a hurry, just need dinner quick, so you go into, say KFC. Well, forget it! The other night it took 3 of them to try and verbalize to me that they were out of chicken! (Go figure, KFC, out of chicken....maybe the workers gave all the chicken away to their 'homies' LOL)
Anyway, most of the other mom and pop stores etc that are all run by non-English speakers...there is no way I spend my money there! They have no worries, however, they have tons of their own, non-English speaking community to keep them busy!

Old 05-26-2007, 07:52 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,387,388 times
Well, that's an interesting idea. I wonder if you could pass on some tips for how to walk into a store and tell whether any of the employees are illegal aliens or not. That would be useful information to have...

Old 05-26-2007, 07:55 PM

3,712 posts, read 6,460,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
Well, that's an interesting idea. I wonder if you could pass on some tips for how to walk into a store and tell whether any of the employees are illegal aliens or not. That would be useful information to have...
Walk in the door wearing an ICE uniform.

Old 05-26-2007, 08:07 PM

Well, for me, the bottom line is this: I refuse to do business w/non-Englsih speaking individuals.
When you go into an establishment and no one can speak English, that's when I leave. I don't care what their deal is. They live and work in the US, they need to speak the language of the US: ENGLISH. When I am the paying customer, I expect to be able to have basic communication with the person I'm doing business with!

Old 05-26-2007, 08:08 PM

10,156 posts, read 11,115,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreabeth View Post
Walk in the door wearing an ICE uniform.

LOL. So true.

To the Op - I think it's a good idea, but I don't see it every happening...

Old 05-26-2007, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammie View Post
LOL. So true.

To the Op - I think it's a good idea, but I don't see it every happening...
Just out of curiosity, Sammie, you don't think it does any good for individuals to stop doing business w/illegals, companies employing illegals...non-English speaking individuals?
Cause the way I see it...the govt is simply sponsoring this mess, it is up to we the people, the citizens of this country to take back our towns and cities, demand English be spoken in establishments, and employees are legal. By taking away every one of the luxuries these law breaking individuals are taking for granted, we are sending a message....we are the consumers, we have a choice! One by one by one, it will multiply.

Old 05-26-2007, 08:28 PM

10,156 posts, read 11,115,117 times
I didn't say it wouldn't do any good. I said, I don't think it would happen. I stay away from non-english speaking places. I just wonder how many would actually do the same. It would be a good thing - since no matter what fast joint you go to, there's non speaking workers. Hence, why I stopped going to those places.

Like Walmart in my old town. Lots of workers who hardly spoke english. I had no choice to shop there, it was the only place in town to go. I lived 2 hours from malls and such.

I know live in an area where everyone I have crossed speaks English. It really is a great feeling to walk in to any store and get great service.

Old 05-26-2007, 08:32 PM

233 posts, read 438,624 times
Default No easy way

Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
There really is no easy way to tell if they are here illegally with the exception of those who are bold enough to brag about it because they laugh that you can't do anything to them right to your face. Other times you may personally know the owner of the establishment in question who will let it slip because they will complain about how they can't get any help or how they are helping these poor people, which is how my former employer handled people asking if our staff was illegal.....he would tell people"I'm going to heaven for helping all these people, they work harder for me because of the fear factor" when he passed away I remember thinking that I guessed he was about too find out.

Old 05-26-2007, 08:35 PM

I see what you're saying, but a lot of people I know do avoid establishments w/non-Englsih speakers, illegals, etc. And yes, here on the border, LOL, it is almost impossible to get away from it, but I absolutely will not do business w/any of them. Lucky for me, I have more than Walmart, and I am waiting anxiously for the day I can get out of here! Although the way this Invasion is spreading....I wonder if any of us will be living in "America" as we know it for too much longer....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration