U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2007, 12:45 AM

634 posts, read 2,555,614 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MexicanGuy View Post
Nonetheless, the United States did take more than half of Mexico’s territory by means of an unjust war, and the scars left by an event such as that don’t heal quickly or easily.
So? Mexico didn't control its territory north of the Rio Grande. It was very very very sparsely populated, and even so by non-Mestizo North American Indians.

What's refered to as "Aztlan" was never any more Mexican than China was ever Japanese.

Old 07-19-2007, 12:54 AM

180 posts, read 89,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
PS For a "Mexican Guy", your command of colloquial English is absolutely flawless--are you SURE you aren't really a MEXICAN-AMERICAN GUY, hiding out for a semester of college in Cuernavaca?----I know you didn't learn your fine degree of English by watching MTV !!
Thanks for the compliment, MacMeal Nope, just MexicanGuy; I lived in Austin, Texas with my family for a while, and that's where I picked up my English; Mtv has been a big help, too!

Last edited by MexicanGuy; 07-19-2007 at 01:40 AM..

Old 07-19-2007, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James T View Post
So? Mexico didn't control its territory north of the Rio Grande. It was very very very sparsely populated, and even so by non-Mestizo North American Indians.
Yeah, I've heard those arguments before; they don't really cut it for me. If anyone is interested, this essay sheds some light on this subject, and others: Lying to Provoke a War, Not a New Issue in Washington

By the way, does that mean Alaska is up for grabs?

Last edited by MexicanGuy; 07-19-2007 at 01:46 AM..

Old 07-19-2007, 03:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kele View Post
It would be more productive if I just step outside and bang my head into a brick wall for a few minutes.
Might knock some sense into you Just kidding, Kele

Lighten up; I don't want you to be "the bad guy". I believe you are a good person, and that your comments are well-intentioned, but I'm afraid that sometimes you don't stop to consider that some statements—if not balanced properly—can actually encourage the wrong behavior; in this case, racist behavior.

Old 07-19-2007, 06:56 AM
Yac

5,874 posts, read 6,290,826 times
Guys, please calm down and get back on topic. I also dont think that mentioning other great tragedies (WWII in general) here is necessary.
Yac.

Old 07-19-2007, 08:24 AM

17 posts, read 28,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yac View Post
Guys, please calm down and get back on topic. I also dont think that mentioning other great tragedies (WWII in general) here is necessary.
Yac.

ok, ok...it's joke time:

"Mexican Earthquake

A big earthquake with the strength of 8.1 on the Richter scale has hit Mexico. Two million Mexicans have died and over a million are injured. The country is totally ruined and the government doesn't know where to start with providing help to rebuild. The rest of the world is in shock. Canada is sending troops to help the Mexican Army control the riots. Saudi Arabia is sending oil. Other Latin American countries are sending supplies. The European community (except France) is sending food and money. The United States, not to be outdone, is sending two million replacement Mexicans. God Bless America "

abrazos for all from Texas.

Old 07-19-2007, 08:58 AM

8,973 posts, read 14,612,395 times
Default Mexican Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MexicanGuy View Post
Thanks for the compliment, MacMeal Nope, just MexicanGuy; I lived in Austin, Texas with my family for a while, and that's where I picked up my English; Mtv has been a big help, too!
I stand corrected, Mexican Guy. It's true, the need for immigrant labor has never been properly acknowledged. Both nations are run by crooks, if you want me to be brutally honest. The "crooks" running Mexico have a little more freedom than the "crooks" up here-- up here we have a few more laws to control them , which forces our crooks to go through many creative contortions to APPEAR to be honest. I think our crooks are more fun to watch than your crooks.
Sorry I assumed you were for uncontrolled immigration- it can not continue indefinitely, that's for sure. I think the gringos up here are by-and-large a compassionate people. If they thought for ONE MOMENT that somebody in power in EITHER country would step up and acknowledge the reality, and offer ways to slow down the situation, the mood up here would change 100% for the better. No one likes a steady diet of lies and "B*llsh*t" (I know you remember that word from Texas).
You are quite right in addressing racism. There is definitely a racist element in this discussion, and I see some of it on this very forum. Not too sure what we can do about it, though. Ignorant angry people will always be with us.
In closing, I'm even more confused. At first I was curious how a "Mexican Guy" was able to pick up such flawless colluquial English in Mexico. But now I am TOTALLY confused-- How ON EARTH did you manage to learn such good English in TEXAS, of all places ??
Best regards to you---( y hasta la vista tambien)

Old 07-19-2007, 09:12 AM

8,973 posts, read 14,612,395 times
PS One more point Mexican Guy-- It was interesting you made it a point to distance yourself from the "false revisionist history" promoted by activists (ie, Aztlan, etc., etc.,) Good point. Surely, having lived in Texas, you are aware that US society, though well-educated in some quarters, does have its "ignorant masses", like any other one. The "Aztlan" scenario, promoted by the "ignorant masses" of activists, is what inflames our own "ignorant masses" up here in the US, into a xenophobic fury. It's hard to defend such phrases as "Viva la Raza" to people who feel deceived by their own power-brokers and leadership. Ignorance can be the cause of serious conflict. Keep the communication open !!!

Old 07-19-2007, 11:47 AM

17 posts, read 28,013 times
Quote:
Whatever.

It would be more productive if I just step outside and bang my head into a brick wall for a few minutes.

You just started posting on this forum. I've been posting here for some time. I didn't earn my rep points by being a bigot, but by doing the research and posting well thought out and cognitive posts.

But you believe what you want...you're going to anyway.

It's too bad really, when you stop to think about it, because I think that in many regards, we are walking the same line on illegal immigration, however, I think that you want me to be a bad guy and so no matter what I say, in your eyes, I will be.

Because I respect much of what you've said prior to this, I'm going to back away from this whole discussion because personally, I have far too much on my plate to get involved in some little he said/she said tete a tete with you. Neither person is really paying attention to what the other is saying and if we continue, neither one of us is going to come across looking too terribly grown up.

Good luck and God bless.
Kele, please, the way you've posted, the things you post about (I thought you were a bad guy);

You have to consider the audience and who gave you those rep points. I've been reading since you started posting, those rep points are meaningless (except to you). When you first started posting - I 'guessed' that you were a professional student getting over an abusive marriage, becuase of how and what you posted. Maybe you assumed yourself to be a Subject Matter Expert on certain things, all in all, it's just opinions and you are very much entitled to them.

Don't be cross at Mx Dude - his one liners have had far more meaninful points than your 'researched' opinions.

See what happens when a little bit of Texas rubs off on you?

Last edited by ProudTex; 07-19-2007 at 01:22 PM..

Old 07-19-2007, 12:26 PM

10,017 posts, read 16,692,551 times
Quote:
Whatever.

You just started posting on this forum. I've been posting here for some time. I didn't earn my rep points by being a bigot, but by doing the research and posting well thought out and cognitive posts.

But you believe what you want...you're going to anyway.

It's too bad really, when you stop to think about it, because I think that in many regards, we are walking the same line on illegal immigration, however, I think that you want me to be a bad guy and so no matter what I say, in your eyes, I will be.

Because I respect much of what you've said prior to this, I'm going to back away from this whole discussion because personally, I have far too much on my plate to get involved in some little he said/she said tete a tete with you. Neither person is really paying attention to what the other is saying and if we continue, neither one of us is going to come across looking too terribly grown up.

Good luck and God bless.

Kele, dont bother. You cannot make them see whats going on. Dont let it get to you. Many dont care what happens to America, but the ones that do will put an end to it , progress will be made, people are waking up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration