U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2007, 04:52 PM

16,092 posts, read 35,855,767 times

Advertisements

I usually agree with gizmo, but not this time. If it were at the historical levels of other immigrants (Mexican Citizens have moved here by the millions in just a few years while it took the Irish over 100 years to reach a few million coming here legally).

Think of it this way - how would your life be if you lived on a single family block where there are 20 fraternity houses partying all the time? This is what it's like living next to illegals.

The difference is you can call the cops on the frat boys and not be called a racist and the police will actually do something to them.

Old 06-07-2007, 07:25 PM

4,800 posts, read 7,703,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kele View Post
Oh geez....not that "they're just doing the jobs Americans think they are too good to do" crap again! What you mean is that they are just doing the jobs for slave wages that Americans expect to be paid a living wage for, don't you? Those of you apologists who spout this same rote rhetoric time and time again are actually telling the rest of us that slavery is alive and well in the United States of America and that you support it.

Americans built this country and we didn't have to import slave labor to do it! And we don't need to import slave labor to keep it going either!

FYI--NO illegal is law-abiding. They broke the law to come here to begin with. Let any American attempt to pick and choose which laws they want to obey and which ones they wish to ignore and see where it gets them.

It has been pointed out to me that America did import slave labor and I concede that slavery of course, flourished before the civil war. However, I am speaking of the Industrial America, the post WW I through 2007 America, not civil war times. Just so I am clear.

Last edited by Kele; 06-07-2007 at 07:38 PM..

Old 06-08-2007, 01:08 PM

14 posts, read 40,786 times
Pick and choose which laws to obey:

speed limit, income tax, pot - as long as we don't get caught, RIGHT?

Mexifornia...This is what California is becoming ! Wait every major city in California is a Spanish name - the U.S. (ahem) bought it that way...how can it become that again?

Question - are all laws just? If a few white settlers, pilgrims hadn't been illegal, where would your tribe be today?

Old 06-08-2007, 01:38 PM
JD.

198 posts, read 434,268 times
The fact is illegal immigrants are illegal. Some would like to call others who want the law enforced racists. Liberals love to point out how open and understanding they are of new ideas, but its only as long as they are their own. When someone dares to bring up the point that the U.S. is a sovereign nation which should enforce its laws, they are accused of being bigots and racists. How liberal and tolerant of you. The tactics pro-illegal groups use is a pretty weak one, smear the person you disagree with by calling them a racist. This tactic is generally not used by someone who has a good argument. I understand that illegal immigrants for the most part come here to find a better life for their family, but so do LEGAL immigrants. Why should someone who broke the law get better treatment? I gurantee you that question will not be answered. I'm sure someone will dredge up the past 400 years of history and say that the Pilgrims were illegal immigrants, but remember so were the Spainards when they pillaged and murdered the Native Americans in Mexico, so I guess we're even. Illegal immigrants force down the wages of American workers and cost of billions of dollars a year in health care costs, but that's OK, we wouldn't want to offend anyone.

Old 06-08-2007, 01:52 PM

14 posts, read 40,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD. View Post
The fact is illegal immigrants are illegal. Some would like to call others who want the law enforced racists. Liberals love to point out how open and understanding they are of new ideas, but its only as long as they are their own. When someone dares to bring up the point that the U.S. is a sovereign nation which should enforce its laws, they are accused of being bigots and racists. How liberal and tolerant of you. The tactics pro-illegal groups use is a pretty weak one, smear the person you disagree with by calling them a racist. This tactic is generally not used by someone who has a good argument. I understand that illegal immigrants for the most part come here to find a better life for their family, but so do LEGAL immigrants. Why should someone who broke the law get better treatment? I gurantee you that question will not be answered. I'm sure someone will dredge up the past 400 years of history and say that the Pilgrims were illegal immigrants, but remember so were the Spainards when they pillaged and murdered the Native Americans in Mexico, so I guess we're even. Illegal immigrants force down the wages of American workers and cost of billions of dollars a year in health care costs, but that's OK, we wouldn't want to offend anyone.

JD - that's not fact, but your own opinions.

example...here in the Dallas area local hospital economy is strained, schools are crowded - kinda of negative reputation for anyone Latino (professional or not, legal or not) - BUT the overall ECONOMIC Health for my great STATE OF TEXAS is robust! So while your opinion might seem valid, based on your own perceptions (formed in your own backyard) - it is far from the fact.

and truthfully, no one cares if your a bigot or not, offensive or not, unless it's a one on one relationship - but you know the possible consequences of offending people to their face - also, your attempt at sarcasm is sophomoric at best - now that's offensive.

Old 06-08-2007, 01:59 PM

13,387 posts, read 16,243,145 times
Quote:
Don't forget,
Migrating to the US with proper documentation did not become a law until around 1929.

Old 06-10-2007, 09:29 PM

300 posts, read 1,722,976 times
Quote:

Americans built this country and we didn't have to import slave labor to do it! And we don't need to import slave labor to keep it going either!

If I remember my American history correctly, Americans and the Africans that were brought from Africa and their descendents who were slaves and therefore slave labor built this country.

Old 06-10-2007, 09:49 PM

4,800 posts, read 7,703,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nooneknowsmyname View Post

If I remember my American history correctly, Americans and the Africans that were brought from Africa and their descendents who were slaves and therefore slave labor built this country.
Ummm...allow me to quote myself from approximately 5 posts prior to this one (which would not be necessary had you read further down):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kele

It has been pointed out to me that America did import slave labor and I concede that slavery of course, flourished before the civil war. However, I am speaking of the Industrial America, the post WW I through 2007 America, not civil war times. Just so I am clear.

Old 06-10-2007, 10:25 PM

300 posts, read 1,722,976 times
Quote:
Ummm...allow me to quote myself from approximately 5 posts prior to this one (which would not be necessary had you read further down):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kele

Glad to learn that others are reading the posts for accuracy and pointing out factual errors because I believe it is important to acknowldge the contributions of all everyone who contributed to buiding the United States, especially those slaves who weren't considered full citizens nor protected by US laws.

Old 06-11-2007, 04:01 AM

1,156 posts, read 1,877,866 times
Quote:
Illegals and their groups calling those who oppose mass illegal immigration racists, shows clearly that they have a childish and simple mentality. I think this comes partly out of guilt. They see in CA there are few whites left, our jobs taken over, the housing prices way up, their culture imposed forced on our culture, the crime increasing drastically by their group. The smart ones know it's a finanical and social issue, not racism.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration