U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2010, 11:02 AM

13,387 posts, read 16,200,288 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayarcy View Post
Didn't that woman tear her family apart, the same thing illegal alien supporters accuse ICE of doing when a parent gets deported?
Yes, but it's our fault she had to do that, (sarcasticly speaking)

Last edited by mkfarnam; 01-25-2010 at 11:17 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2010, 11:07 AM

Bottom Line:

Ignorance is no excuse!

Old 01-25-2010, 11:28 AM

5,891 posts, read 12,249,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
LOL ok webster. The fact remains that (Losers) use the word luck to describe why winners win. It can't be better quailfied, better prepared right. It needs to be luck otherwise gasp they have to look into the mirror and accept the fact that it the person looking back at them that failed.
In the case of illegals. There is no luck involved, good or bad. Just decisions. Mostly bad decisions.
I actually completely agree with you on the luck piece. In my original post I was poking fun at the immigration system because I think in alot of cases the people who meet the requirements for the visa versus those who do not is completely a matter of circumstance.

Old 01-25-2010, 11:51 AM

20,310 posts, read 18,881,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slig View Post
I actually completely agree with you on the luck piece. In my original post I was poking fun at the immigration system because I think in alot of cases the people who meet the requirements for the visa versus those who do not is completely a matter of circumstance.
Now slig we can agree on this part. How about that.
Some folks are fortunate enough to live in a country that actually requires its citizens to be educated. They come from cultures where the expectation is to attend a university. Many of these countries are still considered 3rd world.
I will use Thailand because I really love that country and Thai people.
Hard working humble people polite to a fault. No welfare system. You either work for someone or you work for yourself. It is that simple.
Like the USA medical care is available to everyone. Like the USA education is important. English is a required study. As is math and science. In Thailand there is no free education. And yet even poor children are sent to school.
It is difficult for Thai people to immigrate to the USA. They need to have a very high level of education or be financially able to support themselves.
Many good people may never get a VISA to the USA.
I agree with this. As much as I respect the Thai people and their culture I do not feel that we should accept any additional low skilled or uneducated immigrants. We simply don't need them.
There really is no acceptable excuse for illegal immigration. It is an obvious disregard for our nations laws and rights.

Old 01-25-2010, 12:12 PM

Not knowing the exact statring point, but I feel that Technology and higher education requirments are 2 most recent issues that triggered illegal immigration. Now employers are attempting to create "modern slavery".

Old 01-25-2010, 12:56 PM

I don't really understand how anybody can blame the illegal immigrants for being opportunistic. They are pretty much screwed where they are, can you really blame them for taking their chance at sneaking across, getting a job and making money? I place the entire blame on us and our government for allowing it to happen. If we had better systems in place for detecting and protecting ourselves against fraud and enforcing ID verification systems like e-verify the problem would hardly exist. I would say that's probably the big difference between myself and other members of this board in regards to the issue.

Obviously the preferable method of making a living for these people is to find a way to make ends meet in their country of origin, or find a way to legally immigrate into another country. However, the people poor and starving in a 3rd world country are bigger losers than illegal immigrants who are able to make ends meet in my opinion. If they are able to successfully beat the system, good for them...and shame on us for allowing it.

The other difference in opinion between other board members and myself is in regards to legal immigration. I'm 100% for legal immigration and I'd be for expanding legal immigration...most people on here find ways to mask it but they are, in fact, pretty highly opposed to legal immigration or are ok with it, but in extremely limited numbers. In my opinion that essentially makes you anti-immigration.

Old 01-25-2010, 01:14 PM

Quote:
I don't really understand how anybody can blame the illegal immigrants for being opportunistic. They are pretty much screwed where they are, can you really blame them for taking their chance at sneaking across, getting a job and making money? I place the entire blame on us and our government for allowing it to happen. If we had better systems in place for detecting and protecting ourselves against fraud and enforcing ID verification systems like e-verify the problem would hardly exist. I would say that's probably the big difference between myself and other members of this board in regards to the issue.

Obviously the preferable method of making a living for these people is to find a way to make ends meet in their country of origin, or find a way to legally immigrate into another country. However, the people poor and starving in a 3rd world country are bigger losers than illegal immigrants who are able to make ends meet in my opinion. If they are able to successfully beat the system, good for them...and shame on us for allowing it.

The other difference in opinion between other board members and myself is in regards to legal immigration. I'm 100% for legal immigration and I'd be for expanding legal immigration...most people on here find ways to mask it but they are, in fact, pretty highly opposed to legal immigration or are ok with it, but in extremely limited numbers. In my opinion that essentially makes you anti-immigration.
Well I for 1 am 100% for legal immigration as long as it is conducted in a controled manner that reflects what is in the best interests of this country. That means selecting the best most qualified applicants whose abilities best reflect what we need. We don't need unskilled uneducated immigrants. We have plenty of trailor parks turning out such individuals.
We don't need any with questionable backgrounds. We produce more than enough of those also.
What we need are highly skilled highly motivated people. People who want to come here to be Americans. Not Russians with an american permanant resident green card. Not people who view their country of origin as their priority.
Expanded immigration? To what end? So that the USA already strained can assume more of the worlds burden? We already do enough of that and at the expense of our own needy.

Old 01-25-2010, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Well I for 1 am 100% for legal immigration as long as it is conducted in a controled manner that reflects what is in the best interests of this country. That means selecting the best most qualified applicants whose abilities best reflect what we need. We don't need unskilled uneducated immigrants. We have plenty of trailor parks turning out such individuals.
We don't need any with questionable backgrounds. We produce more than enough of those also.
What we need are highly skilled highly motivated people. People who want to come here to be Americans. Not Russians with an american permanant resident green card. Not people who view their country of origin as their priority.
Expanded immigration? To what end? So that the USA already strained can assume more of the worlds burden? We already do enough of that and at the expense of our own needy.
I agree on basing legal immigration on needs and not allowing anybody with a criminal record or with highly transmittable diseases to enter, etc., but also I think the US gov't is too strict when it comes to legal immigration for family members. If we apply for my wife's sister and husband to come visit us I don't feel they should reject their visa application on account that they aren't financially wealthy and Homeland Security finds them at risk for overstaying their visa...that's total crap in my opinion.

Old 01-25-2010, 01:23 PM

55,237 posts, read 72,402,860 times
the motive of the state is to teach tolerance, the objective is submission of the populous to the will of the state. unfortunately the state has become itself an outlaw.

Old 01-25-2010, 01:29 PM

Quote:
I agree on basing legal immigration on needs and not allowing anybody with a criminal record or with highly transmittable diseases to enter, etc., but also I think the US gov't is too strict when it comes to legal immigration for family members. If we apply for my wife's sister and husband to come visit us I don't feel they should reject their visa application on account that they aren't financially wealthy and Homeland Security finds them at risk for overstaying their visa...that's total crap in my opinion.
I tend to agree. However what has caused such suspician? Ah people over staying their VISA. This is why I am so against illegal immigration. It is the illegals that have created this difficult situation that you are in as am I in regards to my step daughter.
I blame those who have abused the system to such a point that it was needed to tighten up.
Slig I wish you the best of luck for your family. I have no words of wisdom that will help. Hell send some my way if you have any.
Regards.. Tin
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or