U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2010, 03:50 AM

1,150 posts, read 991,756 times

Advertisements

<<I'm 100% for legal immigration and I'd be for expanding legal immigration...>>

Don't you think though that fewer illegal immigrants would lead to more legal immigration? If we didn't have 12-20 million illegal immigrants already, we'd have room for a lot more of those who want to migrate legally. Regarding your family, if we didn't already have a problem with millions of visa overstays, it probably wouldn't be a concern. IMO, illegal immigration is one of the main cause of the strict requirements for legal immigrants. There are millions of poor citizens in this country, but that doesn't entitle them to break the law to improve their situation. Anyone who commits a crime, including illegal immigrants, has a negative impact on those who abide by the law.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2010, 05:28 AM

15,179 posts, read 15,823,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
I agree that a lot of the blame for illegal immigration falls directly on the shoulders of our government for not using preventative measures to deter it. However, Mexico is also partly to blame for their refusal to create jobs for their own citizens.

Now as for legal immigration, I do not agree with increasing our numbers unless it can be proven that we need to do that based on job availabiliity, resources for them and keeping in mind our population growth. Immigrants have higher birthrates than we do so that has to considered also. I also believe that whether or not we increase or decrease legal immigration that we be fair to all immigrants and not just pull from mostly one ethnic group. It also helps us retain our natural identity and culture. The oposite occurs when you have too many from just one ethnic group.

I disagree that one is anti-immigration just because they take all of the above into account. It is just common sense. We need a sensible legal immigration policy based on our best interests. It is a matter of this country's survival as a nation.
I totally agree. Immigration should benefit the host country. If we have no need for a particular profession, there is no reason to continue to issue work visas in that field. Currently, we have an estimated 14-18 million unemployed citizens, perhaps even more. Therefore, why should we permit foreigners to come here to compete against our unemployed and underemployed citizens for jobs?

The tourist visa issue is a no-brainer, given that the majority of illegal aliens are visa overstays. Itís unfortunate that many with no ill intent are prevented from visiting relatives; but, they can blame our current policies on the millions who use their tourist visas as an avenue to remain here permanently (illegally).

Old 01-26-2010, 05:30 AM

15,179 posts, read 15,823,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayarcy View Post
<<I'm 100% for legal immigration and I'd be for expanding legal immigration...>>

Don't you think though that fewer illegal immigrants would lead to more legal immigration? If we didn't have 12-20 million illegal immigrants already, we'd have room for a lot more of those who want to migrate legally. Regarding your family, if we didn't already have a problem with millions of visa overstays, it probably wouldn't be a concern. IMO, illegal immigration is one of the main cause of the strict requirements for legal immigrants. There are millions of poor citizens in this country, but that doesn't entitle them to break the law to improve their situation. Anyone who commits a crime, including illegal immigrants, has a negative impact on those who abide by the law.
How true. Massive illegal immigration has created a problem for immigration in general. Widespread abuse of any law or policy will ultimately result in changes which will impact not only the lawbreakers, but the law-abiding as well. Itís unfortunate, but thatís life.

Old 01-26-2010, 07:47 AM

32,823 posts, read 30,083,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkfarnam View Post
Slig is not effected by Illegal immigration.So he's going to let his kids or grandkids wake-up to this.
Illegals are not a "result" of a bad system, they're part of it. And the blame should be spread equally and accordingly.
A good percentage of illegals violate laws in order to dodge another one they violated.
Your not effected by it , so your really don't know what it's like.

My step son was killed in Ca,out front of my place by a hit-n-run Illegal from El Salvador. He got a slap on the hand and was deported for the 7th time. He was hired to drive a laundry Van "without" a license!
These same stories are shredding many parts of S Cal. The hit and run cases are increasing every year.

Old 01-26-2010, 07:50 AM

32,823 posts, read 30,083,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayarcy View Post

And if you count their family members, which you should, it is probably double that if not more. Mexico and Guatemalan poor, the people that usually have huge families, are altering the census data in the US and their home Countries by coming here illegally. It isn't their educated or wealthy, which typically have smaller families, that are being shed by these Countries to come here.

Old 01-26-2010, 08:16 AM

5,893 posts, read 12,261,866 times
Quote:
Slig is not effected by Illegal immigration.So he's going to let his kids or grandkids wake-up to this.
Illegals are not a "result" of a bad system, they're part of it. And the blame should be spread equally and accordingly.
A good percentage of illegals violate laws in order to dodge another one they violated.

My step son was killed in Ca,out front of my place by a hit-n-run Illegal from El Salvador. He got a slap on the hand and was deported for the 7th time. He was hired to drive a laundry Van "without" a license!
I'm sorry to hear that, what you have there is a negative externality as a result of a failed system. You can keep blaming the illegal immigrants for "violating our laws" but until we implement effective ways of taking away what they come here for (work), the problem will continue.

Hit the problem at its root, that's what I say.

Old 01-26-2010, 11:50 AM

14,307 posts, read 11,157,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slig View Post
I'm sorry to hear that, what you have there is a negative externality as a result of a failed system. You can keep blaming the illegal immigrants for "violating our laws" but until we implement effective ways of taking away what they come here for (work), the problem will continue.

Hit the problem at its root, that's what I say.
Of course and I agree with that. However, those who are illegal alien sympathizers are fighting e-verify the very tool that will stop them from coming here to work. I know you have read all the excuses to not use it in here already.

Old 01-26-2010, 01:14 PM
bjh

26,191 posts, read 22,807,257 times
Quote:

Exactly. Slig is posting from Minnesota where it is easy to be a theorist. Not so easy to be a practitioner in the US Southwest were trouble is hitting the fan the most.

Most naive people in areas unaffected by these crimes won't have the imagination to grasp the problem until their neighborhoods are destroyed, their jobs are dried up, and their crime rate hits the roof.

Old 01-26-2010, 01:15 PM
bjh

26,191 posts, read 22,807,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Actually; with the hardening attitudes towards illegal aliens, I am not that worried. The country that needs to fear for its future is Mexico due to the growing drug war there.
I am that worried because it takes a stick of dynamite up most people's complacent rear ends to encourage most people in this country to stand up for what's right.

Old 01-26-2010, 01:34 PM

19,899 posts, read 15,302,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
The problem is -- there are millions of people who are overstaying visas, the moment they get a visitor visa, they come and never intend to go back home. They are the ones you should blame for that situation.

Whooooooo hoooooooo you got that right, you know just how many of those we have here, a hell of a lot. That never intend on going home
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or