U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-26-2010, 03:24 PM
 
Location: ...at a 3AM epiphany
2,206 posts, read 2,137,548 times
Reputation: 453

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slig View Post
I guess I don't get all huffy over certain laws like you do, especially when enforcement of them is essentially non-existent. Great so they're breaking our immigration laws and they're criminals...so what? If everybody who breaks a law is a criminal then the word criminal has very little meaning to me. In fact, I'm a criminal myself because earlier this winter I failed to clear the snow off my sidewalks within 24 hours after a snowstorm, which is illegal in the city of Minneapolis.
Semantics is a game used by so many who lack a true response and use it as a sidetrack. I've seen it in here so many many times. And you should get all huffy over like you said "certain laws" when it affects the country as a whole negatively, IMHO. That is what I still do not understand. Tell me, please.

What advantage has over migration of illegal immigrants given to this country? I truly am still open to hearing this yet no one has ever been able to provide the answer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-26-2010, 03:28 PM
 
14,307 posts, read 11,146,155 times
Reputation: 2130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slig View Post
Throw around your labels all you want. Also, go ahead and keep blaming it on the illegal immigrants. You're completely wasting your time as neither action is at all productive. Instead of throwing a hissy fit I'm looking for realistic and financially responsible solutions. That's the fundamental difference between myself and all you hate-mongers.
Woah! So now those of us opposed to illegal immigration and amnesty are "hate mongers"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-26-2010, 03:45 PM
 
Location: Maryland
15,179 posts, read 15,809,199 times
Reputation: 3028
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slig View Post
Millions overstaying visas? Where are you getting this information?
Forty percent of 12-20+ million is indeed millions. If you don’t consider this a credible source, you can check with DHS.

Quote:
Officials estimate that 40 percent of illegal aliens first came into the country legally and overstayed their visa. The reason - the United States has no entry/exit system to determine when someone who enters the country actually leaves.

Despite mandates from Congress, there is still no system in place that verifies when someone leaves the country. Officials estimate that 2.9 million foreigners overstayed their visas last year. And last week, authorities arrested Hosam Maher Husein Smadi who overstayed a tourist visa and was accused of plotting to blow up a Dallas skyscraper.

Last year, 39 million foreigners entered the United States, and using paper logs, DHS has confirmed that 92.5 percent have left the country. Of the remaining 2.9 million foreign visitors, an estimated 200,000 are believed to have intentionally overstayed their visas.
U.S. Not Tracing Visa Overstays | NumbersUSA - For Lower Immigration Levels
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-26-2010, 03:46 PM
 
Location: Oklahoma(formerly SoCalif) Originally Mich,
13,387 posts, read 16,200,288 times
Reputation: 4611
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slig View Post
Throw around your labels all you want. Also, go ahead and keep blaming it on the illegal immigrants. You're completely wasting your time as neither action is at all productive. Instead of throwing a hissy fit I'm looking for realistic and financially responsible solutions. That's the fundamental difference between myself and all you hate-mongers.
Hate has nothing to do with. If anything, Illegals hate Americans worse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-26-2010, 03:49 PM
 
Location: Mesa, Az
21,148 posts, read 36,615,542 times
Reputation: 3785
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Woah! So now those of us opposed to illegal immigration and amnesty are "hate mongers"?
Whenever a pro illegal alien apologist stoops to using such nonsense like the 'race card' and 'hate monger'----------said individual tacitly admits they just lost the argument in favor of illegal immigration.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-26-2010, 03:51 PM
 
Location: Mesa, Az
21,148 posts, read 36,615,542 times
Reputation: 3785
Quote:
Originally Posted by getout View Post
I didn't see a LABLE of a person, but I did see defining an action. Doing a crime makes one a criminal, a crime is illegal. What else would you use to define a person entering this country illegally? I guess just criminals.

And I'm not sure hate-monger is true to form either. Americans are p**sed off! Being angry at a situation is different than hating a person, but I'm only speaking for myself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slig View Post
I guess I don't get all huffy over certain laws like you do, especially when enforcement of them is essentially non-existent. Great so they're breaking our immigration laws and they're criminals...so what? If everybody who breaks a law is a criminal then the word criminal has very little meaning to me. In fact, I'm a criminal myself because earlier this winter I failed to clear the snow off my sidewalks within 24 hours after a snowstorm, which is illegal in the city of Minneapolis.
I do not 'hate' illegal aliens---------I simply want to see them thrown out of the USA, using force, if needed by LE.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-26-2010, 10:03 PM
 
234 posts, read 202,528 times
Reputation: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Whenever a pro illegal alien apologist stoops to using such nonsense like the 'race card' and 'hate monger'----------said individual tacitly admits they just lost the argument in favor of illegal immigration.
That would apply to the anti-illegal immigration side as well.

Right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-26-2010, 10:09 PM
 
234 posts, read 202,528 times
Reputation: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
I do not 'hate' illegal aliens---------I simply want to see them thrown out of the USA, using force, if needed by LE.

Seems like the residents of Maricopa County, Az are getting their way with Sheriff Joe regarding throwing them out using force.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-27-2010, 03:45 AM
 
2,381 posts, read 4,409,314 times
Reputation: 475
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
The assumption being, that it would have been impossible for this woman to find employment anywhere in Mexico. How do other poor people survive who do not flee to the US? The fact that the father abandoned the family is no excuse. Millions of poor women in this country are raising children without the help of fathers, aka sperm donors; and they are not all on welfare. However, rarely do they leave their children.

Itís hard enough for a child to grow up without a father. The absence of a mother only serves to exacerbate the problem, and often the emotional scars never heal. Furthermore, a child should not be burdened with the responsibility of being the primary caregiver for an infirmed grandmother. Thatís a daunting task even for an adult. It would be interesting to know if this woman has given birth to more children while living in the US, since that appears to be par for the course.
Actually I agree with most of your points. I was simply narrating the story. This story was really not of my liking eventhought it was based on real life situations. It had too many coincidences and I thought the ending could have been better.

Anyway, the grandmother was ill but not to the point where she could not care for him. In either case, I think of my mother and I know my mother would never have left me for that long...abandoned. I am very grateful to have a loving father who puts family first and has been at our side all of my life. That includes my mother.

As far as your comment regarding gangs, there are dysfunctional families in every country. Legal status has nothing to do with it. This family had nothing to do with gangs.

I also found very interesting that you used slavery to asimilate your point with this story.

Anyway, you are right. The majority of illegal immigrants came in by plane with a visa which they let expire.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-27-2010, 05:39 AM
 
Location: Mesa, Az
21,148 posts, read 36,615,542 times
Reputation: 3785
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico from East Los View Post
Seems like the residents of Maricopa County, Az are getting their way with Sheriff Joe regarding throwing them out using force.

Which is a beautiful thing
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top