U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-23-2011, 01:58 PM
 
9,243 posts, read 7,096,522 times
Reputation: 2199

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenBeetle View Post
Regardless of the fact that Spanish was spoken in US territory before English, the fact of the matter is that English was quickly adopted as the common means of communication here. And, although the US has no official language, English continues to be the dominant language of commerce/business in this country. Therefore, it is beneficial to all immigrants who enter this country to learn at least enough English to function in public, social, and commercial situations.

Your suggestion that someone learn Spanish in the US if he/she is "paranoid" that he/she can't understand most people makes no sense. While it is true that many of our important cities are home to considerable amounts of Spanish speaking people, the fact remains that English is widely accepted as the primary language. So, why should a non-Spanish speaking immigrant come to the US and focus his/her attention on learning Spanish rather than expect Spanish speaking immigrants to have adopted some understanding of English?
It doesn't matter.

If you speak another language when you actually know English on spite,
Its disrespectful.

This country was founded by the British who spoke English.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-23-2011, 02:29 PM
 
Location: Jacurutu
5,302 posts, read 4,009,391 times
Reputation: 601
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
...This country was founded by the British who spoke English.
There hasn't been a Brit on a "King's Errand" round the parts where I live ever...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-23-2011, 02:52 PM
 
2,002 posts, read 3,985,824 times
Reputation: 1748
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
My university (University of Texas at Austin) required four semesters of a foreign language for every degree that I am aware of.
I'm moving from UTD to TWU and none of them require foreign language. Now, I only know about science degrees. Maybe liberal arts are different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikCortez View Post

English is the language of money. Chinese is the language of money. Spanish AINT the language of money. I hate to say this but ALL Spanish speakin countrys are poor xcept maybe Spain.
Chile is doing pretty well right now. I've heard the same happens in Brazil and maybe Uruguay and Argentina. The idea of South America as 3rd world countries with people living in huts is not precisely accurate. (Well, not ALL the South American countries. I know there is poverty in some nations).

Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
If anything I would rather speak Portuguese, because at least Brazil is a developing country.

Not one Spanish country is developing.
"Chile: The success story of a developing country". I found this paper in 30 seconds. Probably similar documents can be found just in a couple of minutes about different Latin American countries. Time to burst the bubble.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
Show me exactly where legal immigrants are required to know English...
To get H1-B and other working visas, English proficiency is mandatory. (There are lots of DH's coworkers with H1-B visas). What I don't know is if they're required by the employer or if it's a requirement for all legal immigrants.

Last edited by DFWgal; 08-23-2011 at 03:18 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-23-2011, 03:12 PM
 
Location: Jacurutu
5,302 posts, read 4,009,391 times
Reputation: 601
Quote:
Originally Posted by DFWgal View Post
...What I don't know is if they're required by the employer or if it's a requirement for all legal immigrants.
It's not a requirement for legal immigrants other than what you have mentioned...

You need to edit your post for misquoting a different member than the where the comment came from ("ErikCortez" rather than "miss yacco")...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-23-2011, 03:23 PM
 
Location: Pacific Northwest
1,695 posts, read 1,507,035 times
Reputation: 3289
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torn2pieces View Post
AT&T also outsources to India.

The companies seem to be catering to Spanish speakers. It's unreal.

I remember about 2 months ago, getting a call from someone - They said can I speak to someone who speaks spanish. Well they asked in English. I said this is America, I speak ENGLISH.

Needless to say, they got nasty and I gently hung up.
GOOD. If more people do that, then maybe they'll revoke that BS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stockholmaren View Post
With that attitude, I would have hung up on you...
Why ? As Americans we have every right to expect to speak English first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nirvana-Guy View Post
Maybe we can file a lawsuit against the English/Spanish companiues to force them to offer services in Chinese, Russian, Portuguese, Korean, and Tagalog.

But at the very minimum these companies should do something like "for Spanish press 8" and have the stupid thing be in English from the very begining as that is the right way. It pisses me off when I have to choose 'English' as an option! That should be the default with other languages as options.

I went to Lowe's and Home Depot yesterday.... I kid you not, not 1 item sold or 1 sign in either store was not written in Spanish! Not 1!!
This ^^

Now with my opinion known on the subject I do have to say that I think it would be fun to be able to communicate with some of my co-workers a little easier. Charades only gets you so far lol...but even with the barrier of language, it's kind of interesting how communication can still happen.

I actually think it would be fun to learn spanish, but I'm probably too old to learn. It (along with other languages) honestly sounds like gibberish to me and like they are talking way too fast.

Also, and this is the most confusing thing..the words are all backwards to English. It's like wtf ??? lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-23-2011, 03:32 PM
 
187 posts, read 151,709 times
Reputation: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenBeetle View Post
Regardless of the fact that Spanish was spoken in US territory before English, the fact of the matter is that English was quickly adopted as the common means of communication here. And, although the US has no official language, English continues to be the dominant language of commerce/business in this country. Therefore, it is beneficial to all immigrants who enter this country to learn at least enough English to function in public, social, and commercial situations.

Your suggestion that someone learn Spanish in the US if he/she is "paranoid" that he/she can't understand most people makes no sense. While it is true that many of our important cities are home to considerable amounts of Spanish speaking people, the fact remains that English is widely accepted as the primary language. So, why should a non-Spanish speaking immigrant come to the US and focus his/her attention on learning Spanish rather than expect Spanish speaking immigrants to have adopted some understanding of English?
I agree with almost everything you say. The reality is that spanish is ubiquitous all over the usa, and that no one should be forced to learn it, I do know many people that feel very uncomfortable among spanish speaking people, my advice is, if it impairs your quality of life, then learn the darn language, it's not that hard, this is america, and we have the freedom to speak in whatever language we choose....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-23-2011, 03:41 PM
 
327 posts, read 262,079 times
Reputation: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
There hasn't been a Brit on a "King's Errand" round the parts where I live ever...
The English made this country
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-23-2011, 03:50 PM
 
15,924 posts, read 16,847,914 times
Reputation: 7619
Makes perfect sense to me, go to a foreign country, live there, refuse to learn the local language then make the native citizens feel guilty that they don't speak your language....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-23-2011, 04:13 PM
 
Location: Miami
888 posts, read 606,056 times
Reputation: 658
Quote:
Originally Posted by danbomo View Post
Where is our priorties? Do we speak English or do we speak
Spanish? I called Att&T today and they "Recording"'


"If you would like to continue in English please press one"'

I think I am from the USA and I speak English why do I have
to press one to continue in English, But if I am spanish I
Just start talking to them.

WRONG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!1

We live in the USA I am not an illegal immegrant!
Supposedly we are in a free market system, why should the Federal Government regulate private businesses regarding language? It is up to each individual company to decide how they want to market their services. If you are offended, why don´t you take your business elsewhere?

I suppose you are against having Spanish language TV stations as well, because if you start regulating language use for private businesses, why would you selectively do it just for phone companies. You might as well ban all signs, all Spanish media, Spanish radio, etc in addition.

Or we can keep the Federal Government out of it and we can speak whatever language we want, and companies can choose to offer services in Spanish if they want.

I guess you are one of these people who does not believe in personal liberty and would prefer to that the government regulates everything, including what color we paint our bathrooms (Obama recommends yellow & brown).

You are definitely not a Ron Paul supporter, because he encourages freedom of choice and personal responsibility. Too much work for those who want Government to tell everyone what to do so that they can impose their views on everyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-23-2011, 04:16 PM
 
Location: Pacific Northwest
1,695 posts, read 1,507,035 times
Reputation: 3289
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madd love View Post
The English made this country
Which in particular galls me.

I married a Brit in 2004 and he had to jump through hoops to get here.

Despite being promised a work authorization card (he was an excellent programmer) within 3 months of his arrival here, the Man continued to hem and haw about this little thing and the other and so my husband died of a sudden heart attack due to a condition we didn't even know he had.

Had he been given the card as promised, he would have HAD a job (as several companies were romancing him) AND the medical insurance which could have prevented his passing.

To further rub salt in my wounds, a week after he passed, I recieved yet another letter from the Man saying how the person who advised us to fill out such and such a form was WRONG and we needed to jump through yet more hoops.

I was SO upset by this that I immediately set to writing a serious poison pen letter to these horrible people, but I eventually tore it up rather then send it because I would have most likely gone to prison for what I had written. The Man wouldn't have cared that I was newly grieving for my husband or cared that my husband had been so effed up by these people.

I DID tell them once over the phone that I would trade 10 illegals for one Brit who was employable AND honest. They didn't like that too much. But it gave me great satisfaction to tell them so.

And YET: If you are of a brown hue, you are pretty much given carte blanche to everything.

THAT is what pisses me off the most
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top