U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2011, 08:24 PM

20,310 posts, read 18,884,971 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
It's not a requirement for legal immigrants other than what you have mentioned...

You need to edit your post for misquoting a different member than the where the comment came from ("ErikCortez" rather than "miss yacco")...
You yourself have stated that the most common form of immigration is through marriage. I was at my wifes interview. She was required to answer the questions in english which they were also asked in english. This being at the US embassy in bangkok.
She was also required to show correspondence in english.
For not being required and all they sure didn't offer a Thai interpreter. The applications were also in english.
IB its quite clear that you in fact know a lot about the process. More than I do and I admit this. What I know is by the experience of going through it with my wife and now my step daughter. I just got off skype with her and she confirmed that she was not offered an interpreter and all of her applications are also in english.
For my wife a dis-qualifier would have been if she couldnt speak passable english and correspond in english.
Permenant resident is also not forever. It needs to be renewed. You got it. Biometrics, background the same old same old over again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2011, 08:33 PM

25,060 posts, read 22,112,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
If anything I would rather speak Portuguese, because at least Brazil is a developing country.

Not one Spanish country is developing.
Chile is on track to be a developed country this decade, joining the ranks of the U.S. and Canada. Also, Spain is a developed country but that's in southwestern Europe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
Not arguing with you but,
How come on an application it list race as hispanic?
It doesn't. It lists Hispanic as ethnicity, not race. The two don't mean the same thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandon View Post
Which in particular galls me.

I married a Brit in 2004 and he had to jump through hoops to get here.

Despite being promised a work authorization card (he was an excellent programmer) within 3 months of his arrival here, the Man continued to hem and haw about this little thing and the other and so my husband died of a sudden heart attack due to a condition we didn't even know he had.

Had he been given the card as promised, he would have HAD a job (as several companies were romancing him) AND the medical insurance which could have prevented his passing.

To further rub salt in my wounds, a week after he passed, I recieved yet another letter from the Man saying how the person who advised us to fill out such and such a form was WRONG and we needed to jump through yet more hoops.

I was SO upset by this that I immediately set to writing a serious poison pen letter to these horrible people, but I eventually tore it up rather then send it because I would have most likely gone to prison for what I had written. The Man wouldn't have cared that I was newly grieving for my husband or cared that my husband had been so effed up by these people.

I DID tell them once over the phone that I would trade 10 illegals for one Brit who was employable AND honest. They didn't like that too much. But it gave me great satisfaction to tell them so.

And YET: If you are of a brown hue, you are pretty much given carte blanche to everything.

THAT is what pisses me off the most
Tell me about it. I'm mad that to bring my gf over from England, I'd have to pay a lot of money, wait a while, while the Democrats in government want to HAND OUT green cards to the uneducated illegal Mexicans living here by virtue of them crossing the desert they're gonna get an instant green card for a low price while I would have to shell out thousands and wait a year!

Old 08-23-2011, 08:37 PM

20,310 posts, read 18,884,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Chile is on track to be a developed country this decade, joining the ranks of the U.S. and Canada. Also, Spain is a developed country but that's in southwestern Europe.

It doesn't. It lists Hispanic as ethnicity, not race. The two don't mean the same thing.

Tell me about it. I'm mad that to bring my gf over from England, I'd have to pay a lot of money, wait a while, while the Democrats in government want to HAND OUT green cards to the uneducated illegal Mexicans living here by virtue of them crossing the desert they're gonna get an instant green card for a low price while I would have to shell out thousands and wait a year!
Bingo...... rewarding the criminal for the crime makes perfect sense only to politicians.
The most laughable part of one proposal is: They will have to pay back taxes on the money they earned. Hmmmmmm That is assuming they will admit to being here any longer than they have to. That is the mother of all assumptions.

Old 08-23-2011, 08:44 PM

25,060 posts, read 22,112,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Bingo...... rewarding the criminal for the crime makes perfect sense only to politicians.
The most laughable part of one proposal is: They will have to pay back taxes on the money they earned. Hmmmmmm That is assuming they will admit to being here any longer than they have to. That is the mother of all assumptions.
And how is the government going to determine how many taxes they owe? You can't if there is no paper trail the illegal could state he's been here for as little a time as possible and pay very little and there's no way the government can accurately ascertain that with most of the illegals since most do not have a record of when they crossed the border...

Old 08-23-2011, 08:46 PM

3 posts, read 1,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miss yauco View Post
I know it's hard for many people to understand, but the reality is that our most important cities have a predominat spanish speaking population, I'm talking bout LA, NYC, Houston, San Antonio, Chicago, miami, boston, etc.. So, if you are paranoid because you can't understand most people, the solution is to learn spanish. You could make the case for other languages but the fact is that Spanish is spoken by almost 100 million people in usa as either first or second language, also spanish precedes english by 100 years as the first european language in us territory....
wrong, of the cities you listed only miami and san antonio could theoretically have a predominantly spanish speaking population, and thats assuming all of the hispanics there only speak spanish which they dont.

the fact that you said boston has a predominantly spanish speaking population is laughable since its only 16% hispanic.

Old 08-23-2011, 08:53 PM

1,421 posts, read 1,238,051 times
Quote:
I know it's hard for many people to understand, but the reality is that our most important cities have a predominat spanish speaking population, I'm talking bout LA, NYC, Houston, San Antonio, Chicago, miami, boston, etc.. So, if you are paranoid because you can't understand most people, the solution is to learn spanish. You could make the case for other languages but the fact is that Spanish is spoken by almost 100 million people in usa as either first or second language, also spanish precedes english by 100 years as the first european language in us territory....
It dont matter cause most RICH Hispanics speak English here. Its the illegal aliens campensinos who dont and they need to go home. Better for everyone.

Old 08-23-2011, 08:57 PM

1,421 posts, read 1,238,051 times
Quote:
I agree with almost everything you say. The reality is that spanish is ubiquitous all over the usa, and that no one should be forced to learn it, I do know many people that feel very uncomfortable among spanish speaking people, my advice is, if it impairs your quality of life, then learn the darn language, it's not that hard, this is america, and we have the freedom to speak in whatever language we choose....
Yep. An stay in the barrio.

Old 08-23-2011, 09:51 PM

5,302 posts, read 4,011,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
You yourself have stated that the most common form of immigration is through marriage. I was at my wifes interview. She was required to answer the questions in english which they were also asked in english. This being at the US embassy in bangkok.
She was also required to show correspondence in english.
For not being required and all they sure didn't offer a Thai interpreter. The applications were also in english.
IB its quite clear that you in fact know a lot about the process. More than I do and I admit this. What I know is by the experience of going through it with my wife and now my step daughter. I just got off skype with her and she confirmed that she was not offered an interpreter and all of her applications are also in english.
For my wife a dis-qualifier would have been if she couldnt speak passable english and correspond in english.
Permenant resident is also not forever. It needs to be renewed. You got it. Biometrics, background the same old same old over again.
Legal Permanent Resident cards expire, Legal Permanent Residency status does not. Be aware I´m not referring to an interim Conditional Residency, or before the process of ¨Removal of Conditions¨/¨Adjustment of Status¨. Again, no matter whether the Residency Card is renewed or not, as long as no extended time is outside the United States without permission (residency is intended to be for being within the country), the status is permanent.

Very close to two-thirds of all legal immigration are family-sponsored categories, about 45% of the total have an ¨immediate relative¨ (that is, they are parents, spouses, or children) of a U.S. citizen. Roughly a quarter of all legal immigrants are a spouse of a U.S. citizen. This data is reported every year by DHS, and I am working from the last data, 2008 to 2010.

DHS | Immigration Statistics

Two-thirds are also within the United States when they become Legal Permanent Residents, adjusting from some other visa status...

Contrary to what you have seen, an immigrant applicant can interview in their native language. I was present when my family processed (my wife cried, because it was the culmination of a 28-month ordeal for our family) too, although ours was in English also. The first true requirement of English is at naturalization.

One big resource for me was free certified translations of all of the Mexican documents into English, because of my servicemember status. The N-600 for my younger two stepchildren will be cost-free as well, once my wife naturalizes. I know the system very well by now, and offer whatever assistance, to whomever needs it, when they ask.

Old 08-23-2011, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikCortez View Post
Yep. An stay in the barrio.
Careful Erik, you don´t want to be seen as badgering people...

Old 08-23-2011, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
...Tell me about it. I'm mad that to bring my gf over from England, I'd have to pay a lot of money, wait a while, while the Democrats in government want to HAND OUT green cards to the uneducated illegal Mexicans living here by virtue of them crossing the desert they're gonna get an instant green card for a low price while I would have to shell out thousands and wait a year!
Fianc(é)e visas (K-1) process quicker than any other, hint, hint...

Last available stats show that 48% of Mexicans in the United States immigrated legally...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or