Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2011, 08:43 AM

1,574 posts, read 1,019,165 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikCortez View Post
Yep. Spanish is def a red flag there. Cant say race cause Hispanic aint a race, its a culture. Spain is white, Mexico is Indian, Dominicans are Black.

Look here at Arizona: the barrios are nasty. I dont like sayin this but even brown Latinos who are middle class DONT have that campesino look bout them. Many anglos say they mix em up with Italians.
Bigotry: it's OK if we can say "it's not a race!"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2011, 12:25 PM

187 posts, read 181,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
If anything I would rather speak Portuguese, because at least Brazil is a developing country.

Not one Spanish country is developing.
I know it's hard for many people to understand, but the reality is that our most important cities have a predominat spanish speaking population, I'm talking bout LA, NYC, Houston, San Antonio, Chicago, miami, boston, etc.. So, if you are paranoid because you can't understand most people, the solution is to learn spanish. You could make the case for other languages but the fact is that Spanish is spoken by almost 100 million people in usa as either first or second language, also spanish precedes english by 100 years as the first european language in us territory....

Old 08-23-2011, 12:32 PM

9,240 posts, read 8,668,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miss yauco View Post
I know it's hard for many people to understand, but the reality is that our most important cities have a predominat spanish speaking population, I'm talking bout LA, NYC, Houston, San Antonio, Chicago, miami, boston, etc.. So, if you are paranoid because you can't understand most people, the solution is to learn spanish. You could make the case for other languages but the fact is that Spanish is spoken by almost 100 million people in usa as either first or second language, also spanish precedes english by 100 years as the first european language in us territory....
Solution....Learn spanish....?
If they are legal than they should know English.

Its disrespectful to speak another language in a home if you know that persons language.

Old 08-23-2011, 12:36 PM

5,299 posts, read 4,847,626 times
Quote:
...If they are legal than they should know English...
Show me exactly where legal immigrants are required to know English...

Old 08-23-2011, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
Show me exactly where legal immigrants are required to know English...
there is a English test to be a citizen

Old 08-23-2011, 01:31 PM

1,574 posts, read 1,019,165 times
Quote:
But you can be a legal immigrant without taking the citizenship exam.

Old 08-23-2011, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhymetime View Post
But you can be a legal immigrant without taking the citizenship exam.
A permanent citizen?

Only in rare cases are the elderly exempt.

Old 08-23-2011, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Great reading skills, I asked about requirements for legal immigrants...

Old 08-23-2011, 01:44 PM

Quote:
A permanent citizen?
No, a Legal Permanent Resident is not required to naturalize. They can remain in that status for life. It doesn't expire.

Quote:
...Only in rare cases are the elderly exempt.
Again, you are talking about naturalizing. An applicant for naturalization can be as young as age 50 to apply for a waiver of the English language portion (it just checks the basics, not fluency). There are more that apply for the waiver than you think.

Other than the naturalization process, there is no other requirement for a U.S. citizen to know English. Minor Foreign National children that are getting derivative citizenship aren't tested. You can also have a U.S. citizen returning from years abroad (ala former New Mexico Governor Bill Richardson) that doesn't know English.

In fact, at the time almost all U.S. citizens gain their citizenship, they don't know English!...

Old 08-23-2011, 01:52 PM

17 posts, read 38,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miss yauco View Post

Regardless of the fact that Spanish was spoken in US territory before English, the fact of the matter is that English was quickly adopted as the common means of communication here. And, although the US has no official language, English continues to be the dominant language of commerce/business in this country. Therefore, it is beneficial to all immigrants who enter this country to learn at least enough English to function in public, social, and commercial situations.

Your suggestion that someone learn Spanish in the US if he/she is "paranoid" that he/she can't understand most people makes no sense. While it is true that many of our important cities are home to considerable amounts of Spanish speaking people, the fact remains that English is widely accepted as the primary language. So, why should a non-Spanish speaking immigrant come to the US and focus his/her attention on learning Spanish rather than expect Spanish speaking immigrants to have adopted some understanding of English?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration