Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2007, 10:09 PM

36 posts, read 141,271 times

Advertisements

Where is our priorties? Do we speak English or do we speak
Spanish? I called Att&T today and they "Recording"'

"If you would like to continue in English please press one"'

I think I am from the USA and I speak English why do I have
to press one to continue in English, But if I am spanish I
Just start talking to them.

WRONG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!1

We live in the USA I am not an illegal immegrant!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2007, 10:14 PM

1,655 posts, read 3,397,029 times
Yeah, I agree ! What other country do you know where they cater to "illegals" ? If we were to go to mexico would they change their advertising to please us, because we don't want to learn the language, or their automated services, I think not !

Old 05-27-2007, 10:25 PM

4,273 posts, read 15,248,856 times
Many countries speak English actually. In fact, I think the U.S. is one of the few countries that you only learn one language but I'm sure that's not your point.

On the other hand, I do think it's a little annoying that everything is bilingual these days. Here's why: I'm from an immigrant family but growing up, everything my parents didn't understand, you never saw us asking, "hey, can we get that in Portuguse or Chinese?" My brothers and I did everything that pertained to having to speak English from starting successful businesses to changing addresses at the post office to going to the bank etc.

I have to admit, it is kind of nice these days that a lot of things come in Chinese so I don't have to explain or do everything for my Mom but i do believe that there should only be one main language: English. If companies are nice enough to cater to other languages, that's fine by me but it better be all language then and not just spanish, IMO.

Old 05-27-2007, 10:45 PM

989 posts, read 2,761,346 times
Note: AT&T has absolutely no political or legal mandate to provide both languages... the only motivation is to make money.

Yaay Capitalism!
Expect more as "privatization" continues!

PS... If you are going to be staunchly "Pro-English", please spell English words correctly!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by danbomo View Post
Where is our priorties? Do we speak English or do we speak
Spanish?
We live in the USA I am not an illegal immegrant!

Old 05-28-2007, 07:07 AM

1,787 posts, read 3,848,419 times
Quote:
I'm from an immigrant family but growing up, everything my parents didn't understand, you never saw us asking, "hey, can we get that in Portuguse or Chinese?"
EXACTLY!
No other immigrants were catered to regarding their language, so why are we catering to illegal aliens?? It's an expense the taxpayer should not have to pay!

As to the press one for English. Yes, it's annoying, BUT - what good would it do to have "Press one for Spanish" said in english, if the caller speaks no english?

Why are we showing preferential treatment to Spanish, when we haven't for any other language? Isn't that a bit unfair to other immigrants?

Old 05-28-2007, 07:13 AM

10,176 posts, read 11,158,716 times
AT&T also outsources to India.

The companies seem to be catering to Spanish speakers. It's unreal.

I remember about 2 months ago, getting a call from someone - They said can I speak to someone who speaks spanish. Well they asked in English. I said this is America, I speak ENGLISH.

Needless to say, they got nasty and I gently hung up.

Old 05-28-2007, 08:22 AM

5,453 posts, read 8,219,750 times
I was having a problem with my security center on my computer so I called the toll free number and was on the phone for a half hour with someone I could not understand. Half of the time was spent asking this help person to repeat themselves. I sent a letter complaining for all the good that did.

Old 05-28-2007, 08:25 AM

10,176 posts, read 11,158,716 times
They don't care. I have canceled service because of the bad help. Usually it's from a non speaking person.

Lot's of companies outsource to India. They try to hid their accent, but it's pretty obvious.

Old 05-28-2007, 08:30 AM

646 posts, read 1,787,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammie View Post
AT&T also outsources to India.

The companies seem to be catering to Spanish speakers. It's unreal.

I remember about 2 months ago, getting a call from someone - They said can I speak to someone who speaks spanish. Well they asked in English. I said this is America, I speak ENGLISH.

Needless to say, they got nasty and I gently hung up.
With that attitude, I would have hung up on you...

Old 05-28-2007, 08:36 AM

646 posts, read 1,787,345 times
Just like Evlevo said, there is no mandate to provide services in multiple languages, companies do so because there is a demand and they want to increase the bottom line.

Where I work, we keep a directory of all the different languages our employees speak, so any customer issue can be explained in their native language. So far I believe we have about 75 languages covered.

Also, in reference to the out-sourcing of call centers, that's just another step to increase profits. Of course companies will use labor that is much cheaper. I'm not saying that any of you are, but for the most part, conservatives are the ones who mainly want to make English and official language and the only one Americans have to deal with, but at the same time not recognizing that companies will do what they can to increase profits due to capitalism.

Also, it's very sad that the US is the only developed country where you can obtain a Bachelor's degree without having to learn a foreign language. It's time to stop being so ethnocentric.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration