Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2009, 06:02 AM

776 posts, read 1,271,781 times

Advertisements

If you were born in a different country with a corrupt gov’t and poor economy? If you couldn’t find a decent job to feed your family? If your neighbors up north across the border had jobs available and would hire you? Would you respect their immigration laws? Or would you sneak across the border to take a job and support your family? Why not?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2009, 06:04 AM

206 posts, read 570,233 times
I'm gonna do whatever it takes to support my family. And I don't care what that requires.

Old 12-08-2009, 06:08 AM

2,256 posts, read 6,936,010 times
To support my family I would become an illegal alien to another country but I would try to blend in as much as possible by learning about the country I am illegally entering which INCLUDES learning the native tongue whether its English, French, Chinese, whatever. I will also not demand rights for myself as I am not a citizen of that country and by going their I assume the risks involved.

Old 12-08-2009, 06:36 AM

50,075 posts, read 46,640,356 times
First off, how did I get a family when there hasn't been a decent economy in said Country in 50 years? I personally wouldn't let that happen but since this is fiction....

Before I got married I would inquire about what it would take to become legal in the Country of my choice, then appy there. Before I had kids I would make sure our family had some type of stable income.

Or I could just be irresponsible and have a litter of kids out of wedlock and then have no choice but to leave them and look for work elsewhere.

Last edited by 1AngryTaxPayer; 12-08-2009 at 07:34 AM..

Old 12-08-2009, 06:41 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,014,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgt04 View Post
To support my family I would become an illegal alien to another country but I would try to blend in as much as possible by learning about the country I am illegally entering which INCLUDES learning the native tongue whether its English, French, Chinese, whatever. I will also not demand rights for myself as I am not a citizen of that country and by going their I assume the risks involved.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
First off, how did I get a family when there hasn't been a decent economy in said Country in 50 years? I personally wouldn't let that happen but since this is fiction....
I agree with both of you.

Old 12-08-2009, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
So while your friends and others married—even though they were poor—and struggled to form a family, you would remain single and childless. Sounds like a rather bleak existence. But, hey, to each his own.

Old 12-08-2009, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgt04 View Post
I agree. I would try to blend in to the extent I could. I would try to learn the native tongue—because it would help me blend in, and it would improve my job prospects. I would not be militant about demanding rights, being an uninvited visitor and all. And I would work my ass off to make the best of the opportunity.

Old 12-08-2009, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey cabal View Post
So while your friends and others married—even though they were poor—and struggled to form a family, you would remain single and childless. Sounds like a rather bleak existence. But, hey, to each his own.
Ya, it's much better to drag 6 other people into poverty with me.

I've learned when to keep my drawers on. What's the old saying my Mom told me, "If all of your friends jumped off a cliff.....".

Old 12-08-2009, 07:38 AM

12,755 posts, read 9,599,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey cabal View Post
It IS possible to be married and wait to have children (birth control, it's a great thing).

If I was so poor I could barely afford to feed myself, why would I start a family? I would try to get an education, or, barring that, find work that would provide the opportunity to learn a skill and gradually move up the ladder financially.

Having children when a person is so poor is just greedy on the part of the parent, IMO, with no thought of the quality of life their children will experience.

Old 12-08-2009, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
It IS possible to be married and wait to have children (birth control, it's a great thing).

If I was so poor I could barely afford to feed myself, why would I start a family? I would try to get an education, or, barring that, find work that would provide the opportunity to learn a skill and gradually move up the ladder financially.

Having children when a person is so poor is just greedy on the part of the parent, IMO, with no thought of the quality of life their children will experience.

It is the PINNACLE of irresponsibility and a victim mentality. It is the way it is so we may as will have kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration